Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+2
hvymtlcowboy
WhiteBoy
6 posters

CQotW: How do you think we as Christians can better go about praying in Jesus' name?

WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

CQotW: How do you think we as Christians can better go about praying in Jesus' name? Empty CQotW: How do you think we as Christians can better go about praying in Jesus' name?

Post  WhiteBoy August 2nd 2010, 1:49 pm

Will try to post my thoughts later, but wanted to go ahead and get the discussion started. Smile

Alliance Member

Activity : 125
    Geek-Cred : 0

CQotW: How do you think we as Christians can better go about praying in Jesus' name? Empty Re: CQotW: How do you think we as Christians can better go about praying in Jesus' name?

Post  hvymtlcowboy August 2nd 2010, 5:02 pm

By aligning our will with God's. If we are truly in God's Will we will ask for things that God would (If He had to ask Embarassed ) You won't be asking for things of material worth. Just my thoughts.
    ProfessorAlan
    ProfessorAlan

Activity : 115
    Geek-Cred : 3

CQotW: How do you think we as Christians can better go about praying in Jesus' name? Empty Re: CQotW: How do you think we as Christians can better go about praying in Jesus' name?

Post  ProfessorAlan August 3rd 2010, 8:29 am

I think that by praying for others more (much more) than praying for ourselves.
    Rohelf
    Rohelf

Activity : 142
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  Rohelf August 4th 2010, 10:17 am

hvymtlcowboy wrote:By aligning our will with God's. If we are truly in God's Will we will ask for things that God would (If He had to ask Embarassed ) You won't be asking for things of material worth. Just my thoughts.

I don't know, I never felt like there was anything awry in asking for help with the material, as long as you didn't get greedy. "God, please help me find a decent car in my budget and not get cheated," is one thing. "God, I really want a Ferrari, so please make one appear in my driveway with the keys in it tomorrow," is another... and there's a lot of ground between the two. I agree that it's wrong to ask for stuff to be just handed to us with no effort on our own part, but I don't think it's off-alignment to ask for a little guidance and aid with material endeavors.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter August 4th 2010, 1:09 pm

Good thoughts from all of you guys!

www.spiritblade.com
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy August 4th 2010, 2:41 pm

Maybe prayer is ultimately about aligning our will with God's. It's not always God's will for us to be safe and secure. Jesus prepared His disciples for much persecution, and the Bible is clear we Christians should expect trials and persecution. With the freedoms most of us enjoy, we have a hard time really relating to the gravity of that; at least I do.

So, back more to answering the question, I would say praying with the attitude of "not my will, but God's will." We should pray asking what the Lord wants in a situation more than asking Him to work it out a particular way...the way we want.

Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  Hackmodford August 4th 2010, 3:03 pm

By realising it's not the words "in Jesus' name" that's important but the meaning of our prayers. Also prayers are not always petitions but sometimes just talking to God.

CQotW: How do you think we as Christians can better go about praying in Jesus' name? UntoldAlliancesJPG1_Resized

Goozex: Trade Videogames and save money!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 19th 2024, 9:47 am