Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+6
CreatorsPixels
ProfessorAlan
tmorrill
AdamCollings
WhiteBoy
Paeter
10 posters

Video Version Of SBU Podcast?

Poll

Would you watch a video version of the SBU podcast?

[ 2 ]
    Video Version Of SBU Podcast? I_vote_lcap25%Video Version Of SBU Podcast? I_vote_rcap [25%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Video Version Of SBU Podcast? I_vote_lcap50%Video Version Of SBU Podcast? I_vote_rcap [50%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Video Version Of SBU Podcast? I_vote_lcap25%Video Version Of SBU Podcast? I_vote_rcap [25%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Video Version Of SBU Podcast? I_vote_lcap0%Video Version Of SBU Podcast? I_vote_rcap [0%] 

Total Votes: 8
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Video Version Of SBU Podcast? Empty Video Version Of SBU Podcast?

Post  Paeter March 19th 2014, 8:09 pm

Would like some feedback on the idea of a Youtube video version of the SBU podcast. Would that be something any of you would see yourself watching, either instead of or in addition to the audio version?

Last edited by Paeter on March 21st 2014, 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

Video Version Of SBU Podcast? Empty Re: Video Version Of SBU Podcast?

Post  WhiteBoy March 19th 2014, 9:55 pm

I enjoyed the 300th episode version you did, so I'd be interested.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings March 21st 2014, 10:04 pm

Video can certainly launch everything to a higher level. The podcase is usually quite long. Perhaps with video, each segment would work well as a separate video. I think that would be a good way to adapt it to the medium.
    tmorrill
    tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Post  tmorrill March 21st 2014, 11:29 pm

To be honest, I wouldn't be very interested in it. I might check it out occasionally, but as a rule probably not.

I usually only listen to podcasts when I'm on the move or doing something else so the audio works perfect for me.

If it was broken up into the shorter segments like Adam suggested, I'd probably check them out more often.
    ProfessorAlan
    ProfessorAlan

Activity : 115
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  ProfessorAlan March 24th 2014, 10:45 am

Video is not for me. I consume podcasts as audio only -- video required too much attention.
    CreatorsPixels
    CreatorsPixels

Activity : 236
    Geek-Cred : 8

Post  CreatorsPixels March 25th 2014, 7:06 pm

While video sounds cool, I'd have to say I'd likely not watch that often. Personally I consume podcast on my commute (1 hour each way) and its a great way to pass the time that I'd hate to lose! I think for things like the 300th or special episodes (maybe special guests) it would be a cool addition but not sure for a full time gig. Anyway, thats just me. Thanks for asking though!
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Post  DNArington March 26th 2014, 12:30 pm

I would check it out, but it's probably not something I would watch on a regular basis. I normally listen to the podcast while I'm doing something else that I couldn't do while watching a video.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter March 27th 2014, 1:00 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

Now as a follow up question, if you're willing, can you tell me your age and "stage of life"? (Attending school, pre-career work, career, retired or "fill in the blank")

I ask because I'm under the impression that most podcast listeners (at least of my show) are working full-time or are in a later stage of life involving a set routine with fairly limited free time, as opposed to High School/College students who often have much more free time. The college guys I mentor are not podcast listeners, but watch Youtube videos all the time. So I'm trying to tap into that demographic more.

(BTW, rest assured that if I move forward with a video version, the audio version will not be going away.)
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Post  Nathan James Norman March 27th 2014, 2:44 pm

My guess is that most people in the CGC community won't be terribly interested in the youtube channel (myself included).

That's because you've reached a demographic of men and women who want to listen to podcasts and audio. But there's a whole other audience on Youtube. I'd venture to guess most of those folks haven't stumbled upon this wonderful community.

tmorrill had a brilliant idea to break up the podcast into separate segments.

I'd suggest you try this out for a month (using appropriate and popular tags to try and reel in viewers). And then, see what is generating the most interest. If it's the movie reviews, or the In Search of Truth segments, or whatever... stop producing the others, and focus on those (if there's a clear winner).

if there's very little interest, cut it out altogether.

This might be too late... but the Noah film would be a good one to get a video up... with all the controversy and whatnot.

Just my 2 cents.
    Drew.Rub
    Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Post  Drew.Rub March 27th 2014, 3:09 pm

Paeter wrote:Thanks for the feedback!

Now as a follow up question, if you're willing, can you tell me your age and "stage of life"? (Attending school, pre-career work, career, retired or "fill in the blank")

(BTW, rest assured that if I move forward with a video version, the audio version will not be going away.)

Age = ancient
    Stage of Life = Carnegie Hall
    Video podcast watching, I subscribe to 2 right now, Hubble and Spitzer podcasts. I admit that I probably would watch a video podcast, although, like most, it's easiest for me to listen while driving. I'm about half and half. Mostly don't watch video podcasts because I haven't found any I really like.
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy March 27th 2014, 11:14 pm

Nathan James Norman wrote:That's because you've reached a demographic of men and women who want to listen to podcasts and audio. But there's a whole other audience on Youtube. I'd venture to guess most of those folks haven't stumbled upon this wonderful community.

This is exactly what I came here to say in this thread.  GMTA, Nathan.  Smile  I wanted to encourage you, Paeter, that whatever the results of this poll, I think you're talking about a different audience than the people that listen to podcasts.  I have a buddy at work who is a YouTube addict, but never listens to podcasts.  And I would venture to say that YouTubers are probably much more prevalent than podcast-listeners.

And while I voted that I'm interested, I admit that I watch much less YouTube than listen to podcasts.  My reasons are the same...I can consume podcasts while I'm at work much more easily than YouTube.  To be more specific, if I have YouTube up at work, I'm either taking a break or just listening...as if it were a podcast. I would either watch the YouTube at home or on a break at work.
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Post  Nathan James Norman March 28th 2014, 10:04 am

WhiteBoy wrote:
    Nathan James Norman wrote:That's because you've reached a demographic of men and women who want to listen to podcasts and audio. But there's a whole other audience on Youtube. I'd venture to guess most of those folks haven't stumbled upon this wonderful community.

This is exactly what I came here to say in this thread.  GMTA, Nathan.  Smile \

Yes indeed!

Now Paeter has no choice but to go forward. For as the ancient* proverbs says: "One Geek may err, yet two Geeks in agreement are seldom wrong."

*ancient as in "made up on the spot" and if this catches on and the earth persists for six thousand additional years this will be considered ancient.
    tmorrill
    tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Post  tmorrill March 30th 2014, 12:21 am

I'm a late 20s guy who does pre-career full time work. I'll be a college student in August though, but I'll still probably try to work as much as I can.

I didn't mean to sound discouraging if it came across that way. I think a more active YouTube channel would be a great idea (and possible revenue for your family if you decide to do ads and the channel gets enough views).

That being said, the segments I'd be most likely to watch would be ISOT style ones that I can listen to without the video showing, or Lets Play type videos for board games. Also, I just asked the question on the FB page, so maybe some more people will give some feedback.

Nathan James Norman wrote:
    tmorrill had a brilliant idea to break up the podcast into separate segments.

As much as I'd like to claim the idea, Adam originally posted it. Thank you for associating me with good ideas though, it's good to see I can still fool some people some of the time. Very Happy

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter March 31st 2014, 3:15 pm

No worries to those concerned. I wasn't discouraged at all and suspected from the outset that most people here don't do youtube much. Your feedback brought sharpened clarity and I also think the Noah review is a good idea!

I'm going to delay a little AWOS work today in favor of re-recording my Noah review to toss up on the SBP channel. I'll let you know when its up!

Thanks!
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter March 31st 2014, 9:04 pm

Review is up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bIQv4RfKSg&feature=youtu.be
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate April 1st 2014, 5:37 pm

I have a fulltime job and I'm both an audio podcast listener and a video podcast viewer and a Youtube viewer. With video podcast I mean the ones that you can subscribe to like an audio podcast, so via iTunes for instance. On Youtube I don't watch podcasts but mostly other stuff.
    A video podcast with just the person or persons presenting their podcast doesn't add much extra for me, and in those cases I prefer the audio versions - for if it's just the presentor presenting, I tend not to watch anyway (just listen) and audio simply takes up less memory on my "generic podcast device" so I can stack even more podcasts onto it.

The video podcasts I watch are more or less like tv (review) shows (or shorts), with more of a professional set up, although it doesn't have to be truly professional for me to watch it. It just has to have something visually interesting, to set it apart from an audio version.

The Youtube videos I watch are mostly just people like you and me, vlogging and doing their "thang". Not professional at all, but fun to watch because they show stuff, or demonstrate something or do a tutorial, etc..

Btw I think it's great you want to go Youtubing to reach the younger demographic!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is March 28th 2024, 3:39 pm