Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

Dragon Age Podcast Thoughts

Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Dragon Age Podcast Thoughts Empty Dragon Age Podcast Thoughts

Post  Nathan James Norman November 26th 2014, 2:40 pm

Just a few thoughts in response to the excellent thoughts on this week's In Search of Truth:
    1. Baptists all believe in the autonomy of the local church. It was one of the distinctions of the denominations from the beginning.

2. BC/AD (BCE/CE) is divided by the birth of Christ. (Who was actually was probably born around 4BC.)
    - Also... I know CE stands for common era. Bit let's stay calling it Christ Era to drive everyone nuts. Lol

3. By in large, I don't see many church goers elevating the authority of their pastors. If anything... I see congregations divesting their pastor/Elders of most authority. But that's just my observation.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Dragon Age Podcast Thoughts Empty Re: Dragon Age Podcast Thoughts

Post  Paeter December 2nd 2014, 5:52 pm

Nathan James Norman wrote:
    2. BC/AD (BCE/CE) is divided by the birth of Christ. (Who was actually was probably born around 4BC.)
    - Also... I know CE stands for common era. Bit let's stay calling it Christ Era to drive everyone nuts. Lol

3. By in large, I don't see many church goers elevating the authority of their pastors. If anything... I see congregations divesting their pastor/Elders of most authority. But that's just my observation.

I wonder if that differs from one denomination to the next. I've definitely seen that to, but also run into those from very traditional backgrounds who view pastors as super-people (or who are unsatisfied if they are NOT).

As for the common era stuff, I think that's such a funny dodge tactic. I always feel like asking (but for the sake of grace don't) "Yeah, and WHY is this era and its beginning a 'common' reference point?"

Thanks for the info!

www.spiritblade.com
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Post  Nathan James Norman December 3rd 2014, 11:04 am

Paeter wrote:

I wonder if that differs from one denomination to the next. I've definitely seen that to, but also run into those from very traditional backgrounds who view pastors as super-people (or who are unsatisfied if they are NOT).

Just from my observations (stemming from relationships with pastors in the community, and ongoing relationships with friends from seminary) we seem to be moving into a very weird state where the pastor simultaneous is held to an incredibly high standard, but he is not respected or seen as an authority figure.

It is an incredibly difficult place for myself and other pastors to be. We are expected to be available 24/7 - 365 (we get one day every four years Smile ), live to a high moral standard, have knowledge across a wide range of disciplines, and always make the right leadership decisions at every moment. But... but... we're just one of the guys. Our sermons are not authoritative (even if they come straight from the text). Our interpretation of even the most simple texts is seen as merely our opinion.

I'm not saying all the above is my experience. Some of it is, though, and I keep hearing the same things from friends in evangelically minded churches. ("Crisis of Authority" has been thrown around a bit).

Also, much of this stems from Generation X and Millennials.

Again... this is just anecdotal observations from around the state of Michigan, NY and California.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 19th 2024, 12:23 am