Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Played Any Good Board Games Lately?

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Played Any Good Board Games Lately? Empty Played Any Good Board Games Lately?

Post  Paeter August 8th 2016, 9:21 pm

To mark the event of our college ministry's retreat this last weekend I purchased and brought along a new board game (new to me, anyway) called "Galaxy Defenders". It's inspired by sci-fi action horror movies like Predator, Aliens and Starship Troopers. Full co-op with enemy alien AI. Numerous scenarios played campaign style with character upgrades in both stats and equipment. We played one game over the weekend (which went WAAAY longer than the estimated 45-60 minutes with the full compliment of 5 players) and I think it officially replaces by old "Doom Board Game" (not the upcoming new version) for sci-fi dungeon crawling. Although I think I'll use a max of 3 players/heroes in future games to help cut down play time. Lots of fun, though!

This video is for an expansion but gives an idea of art and component quality.

jazzact13

Activity : 267
    Geek-Cred : 3

Played Any Good Board Games Lately? Empty Re: Played Any Good Board Games Lately?

Post  jazzact13 August 9th 2016, 12:22 am

I used to really like "Arkham Horror". It was a cooperative game, basically all the players teamed up against the game itself. It was based on Lovecraft's stories, not the Batman Arkham.

Outside of the core game, there were several expansions, some I liked better then others.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Played Any Good Board Games Lately? Empty Re: Played Any Good Board Games Lately?

Post  Paeter August 9th 2016, 8:01 pm

jazzact13 wrote:I used to really like "Arkham Horror". It was a cooperative game, basically all the players teamed up against the game itself. It was based on Lovecraft's stories, not the Batman Arkham.

Outside of the core game, there were several expansions, some I liked better then others.

First Co-op (of many) I ever bought! I've considered selling it to get Eldritch Horror, but i just can't bring myself to do it yet. If you're up for the length, fiddly bits and spinning some plates, it's dripping with theme and creates a great story with every game!
    jazzact13

Post  jazzact13 August 10th 2016, 1:49 am

I also like Carcassonne a lot, too. Catan can be fun, but for some reason I've usually struggled when I've played it.

It's not a board game, but I've been playing the Dominion app on my tablet. I remember playing it a few times with others, but I had a hard time understanding it, maybe because the others were vets at it and played quick. But doing it this way is helping me better understand the cards and how to can work together.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter August 11th 2016, 11:09 am

jazzact13 wrote:I also like Carcassonne a lot, too. Catan can be fun, but for some reason I've usually struggled when I've played it.

It's not a board game, but I've been playing the Dominion app on my tablet. I remember playing it a few times with others, but I had a hard time understanding it, maybe because the others were vets at it and played quick. But doing it this way is helping me better understand the cards and how to can work together.

I used to use Carcassonne as a "gateway" game for people who had only played Scrabble, Uno or Monopoly. I like the Catan concept but I hate the competition involved.

I've never played Dominion, but have a lot of stuff from its first copycat, Thunderstone. Great mechanical concept! Spawned a whole new game genre! REALLY enjoyed Thunderstone for a bit, but I'm actually planning to get rid of it all soon to help fund other things.

mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike August 12th 2016, 1:29 pm

In the middle of a bi-weekly campaign for Pandemic Legacy. I love Pandemic, and have all of the expansions for the base game. The Legacy game is almost a completely new experience, and it's staggeringly awesome.

I got Ghost Stories recently, another cooperative that's reminiscent of the kung-fu ghost movies from the 70s. Also awesome, but with a palpable feel of desperation. And it's hard as hockey-sticks. We have yet to win a game without using house rules.

Wal-Mart has the exclusive distribution on Star Wars Galactic Connexions. It's a "collectible" chip game sold in blind packs and a starter set. Players take turns laying chips down to match power levels and relationships. It's deceptively simple and tantalizingly strategic. Plus, I keep buying the packs, so I've got a whole bunch of really cool Star Wars chips. Even better, they're shaped like hexagons. If anyone wants to trade, shoot me a PM. I'm looking for a few one in specific.........
    jazzact13

Post  jazzact13 August 12th 2016, 11:56 pm

I remember playing Pandemic a time or two, the base game. Not my favorite, but still pretty good.

I played a really long game of "Axis and Allies" long ago, one of those games that started in the evening and went well into the morning and still wasn't finished.

Never played "Thunderstone", but the deck-building idea is a fascinating one.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter August 15th 2016, 12:36 pm

mindspike wrote:In the middle of a bi-weekly campaign for Pandemic Legacy. I love Pandemic, and have all of the expansions for the base game. The Legacy game is almost a completely new experience, and it's staggeringly awesome.

That game has skyrocketed up the charts at boardgamegeek.com and I've heard nothing but great things about it from The Dice Tower and members of that podcast network. I've even heard those who don't like Pandemic love the Legacy version.

Do you "develop characters" or abilities that carry over in the campaign mode, or is it just the global situation that carries over? I haven't played Pandemic, but I'm pretty curious about the Legacy version.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is March 28th 2024, 11:59 am