Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+3
mindspike
AdamCollings
cleireac
7 posters

What Non-DC/Marvel Superhero Movie Do You Want To See?

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

What Non-DC/Marvel Superhero Movie Do You Want To See? Empty What Non-DC/Marvel Superhero Movie Do You Want To See?

Post  Paeter September 14th 2016, 10:14 am

These days it seems like the only options for superhero flicks are a divisive choice between Marvel and DC. But there are a TON of superhero books not published by these companies (or at least not part of their main continuity) that could make great movies or TV shows? Which ones would you like to see?

For me, although some of the messaging is lame and it's not a full-on superhero story, I'd TOTALLY watch a TV series based on "Ex Machina", the story of a former superhero who becomes mayor of New York.

I'd also love a movie about Doctor Solar, Man Of The Atom. (Think Dr. Manhattan but with a bit more humanity intact.)

Finally (and I think it's in the works), I'd love a new movie for The Shadow. Yeah, he's a pulp hero which is a bit different. But he's got a costume and alternate identity. That's "super" enough for me.
    cleireac
    cleireac

Activity : 388
    Geek-Cred : 7

What Non-DC/Marvel Superhero Movie Do You Want To See? Empty Re: What Non-DC/Marvel Superhero Movie Do You Want To See?

Post  cleireac September 14th 2016, 3:36 pm

I'm totally on board with a new Shadow movie. As long as we are discussing pulp heroes, I'd also mention that there has been talk for some time about a new Doc Savage movie which I'd love to see as well. Not necessarily together, but maybe Conde Nast (the owners of the properties) will see the money generated by Marvel and DC, and decide to do standalone Shadow and Doc Savage films, then have them team up!

Oh, sorry. I got a little giddy there.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

What Non-DC/Marvel Superhero Movie Do You Want To See? Empty Re: What Non-DC/Marvel Superhero Movie Do You Want To See?

Post  AdamCollings September 15th 2016, 2:17 am

I'd gladly take a sequel to The Rocketeer, but the actors are probably all way too old aby now.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter September 15th 2016, 8:57 am

AdamCollings wrote:I'd gladly take a sequel to The Rocketeer, but the actors are probably all way too old aby now.

Or a reboot would be cool by me! That was a WW1 era movie, right? LOVE the idea of having more "period" superhero movies!
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike September 15th 2016, 5:55 pm

AdamCollings wrote:I'd gladly take a sequel to The Rocketeer, but the actors are probably all way too old aby now.

I'm in. How about Rocketeer: Legacy. Set it in the modern day and have a new hero discover the rocket pack.

My top choices for non-DC/Marvel superhero movies?

Hellboy was pretty high up there, and I'm very satisfied with all of the Hellboy films.

Judge Dredd was a favorite when I was in college, and I liked both (yes, both!) Judge Dredd films.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has been my favorite for years. I loathe the new movies, but the ones from the 90s are golden.

I'd still like to see The Tick hit the big screen. I liked the live TV show well enough, and the cartoon was just barely watchable.

Beyond that? Spyboy would make a killer tv series. I'd love to see a Mega Man or Sonic the Hedgehog movie that took itself seriously. Ian Flynn is doing some seriously disturbing stories with those characters over at Archie. Hmm, I'll think about it....
    jazzact13

Activity : 267
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  jazzact13 September 15th 2016, 11:18 pm

Something should be done to rescue The Lone Ranger from that last movie.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter September 16th 2016, 3:13 pm

mindspike wrote:

I'm in. How about Rocketeer: Legacy. Set it in the modern day and have a new hero discover the rocket pack.

Hellboy was pretty high up there, and I'm very satisfied with all of the Hellboy films.

Judge Dredd was a favorite when I was in college, and I liked both (yes, both!) Judge Dredd films..

I'd still like to see The Tick hit the big screen. I liked the live TV show well enough, and the cartoon was just barely watchable.

Dude, a modern Rocketeer? That was what I played for weeks after seeing that movie!

Are we still supposed to get a third Hellboy? I seriously want that trilogy on my shelf!

I also own and treasure BOTH Dredd movies. Apples and oranges. Both delicious.

I'd love a Tick movie, too! Watched the amazon pilot and... (sigh) it just wasn't Patrick Warburton. There's no going back for me.
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate September 17th 2016, 5:59 pm

I'd love to see anything from the Valiant comics hit the movie/tv screen.

Mostly RAI, but also Ninjak, Bloodshot, Archer&Armstrong and X-O Manowar. And of course Unity when it's time to introduce a superhero team.
    Finally, not to forget, Quantum & Woody for the rare scifi-superhero-comedy that is actually funny (I found the comics hilarious).

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter September 19th 2016, 10:09 am

ComiKate wrote:I'd love to see anything from the Valiant comics hit the movie/tv screen.

Mostly RAI, but also Ninjak, Bloodshot, Archer&Armstrong and X-O Manowar. And of course Unity when it's time to introduce a superhero team.
    Finally, not to forget, Quantum & Woody for the rare scifi-superhero-comedy that is actually funny (I found the comics hilarious).

I kind of wonder why these haven't been jumped on. Especially the more superhero-types. You'd think the rights would be easier/cheaper to obtain. Then again maybe they feel like the awareness of them is too low. But honestly I think lesser known characters can result in a better translation to film, since not as many people will have certain expectations. "Blade" was the first Marvel property that worked for me on screen, and I think it paved the way for Spiderman.
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate September 19th 2016, 6:01 pm

Yeah, Blade was awesome! And still love that soundtrack.

You're probably right, I don't think they deem the Valiant properties "monetizable" enough, since no one knows these characters except the comics fans. And you're right again, that that would still make for some great movies or tv series!
    Dreamerhorwitz
    Dreamerhorwitz

Activity : 77
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  Dreamerhorwitz September 22nd 2016, 4:30 pm

Personally, I'd want a new Dick Tracy movie, sans the make-up and bright-colored clothes of the 90s film!

I'd also want some public domain superheroes to make a comeback, like The Sword and Black Cat(not Marvel)!
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter September 23rd 2016, 9:48 am

Dreamerhorwitz wrote:

I'd also want some public domain superheroes to make a comeback, like The Sword and Black Cat(not Marvel)!

Are these old time radio heroes? How are they public domain?
    Dreamerhorwitz
    Dreamerhorwitz

Activity : 77
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  Dreamerhorwitz September 23rd 2016, 11:45 am

Paeter wrote:
    Dreamerhorwitz wrote:

Are these old time radio heroes? How are they public domain?

In America, before the Bono Copyright Extension Act, any property made had to be registered, enjoy a couple of years and then re-register in order to keep copyright. Because of this, a lot of golden age and silver age comic books featuring not just superheroes but everything else as well fell into the public domain.

The list is pretty long and extensive so it's best to keep safe and do some homework. I use the public domain superheroes wiki (pdsh.wiki.com) to make sure no one is pulling a fast one on me!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is March 28th 2024, 11:47 pm