Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

limiting belief

Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

limiting belief  Empty limiting belief

Post  Rickster September 30th 2016, 10:35 pm

If you don't know good guy swag is a site for single men. What makes it difference from other similar sites is that most if not all of the writers at Christians so the advice isn't about how to find a girl for the night. This article was posted on their site the other day and I wanted to share because I'm sure i'm not the only one dealing with this issue

http://goodguyswag.com/identifying-limiting-beliefs-ungodly-beliefs/
    jazzact13

Activity : 267
    Geek-Cred : 3

limiting belief  Empty Re: limiting belief

Post  jazzact13 October 3rd 2016, 1:51 am

I'm kind of iffy about what I read in that article. It seems like the kinds of "positive thinking" things that I've heard a lot, but that I think are iffy biblically.

For example, the author's statement here...

For instance, one of my Ungodly Beliefs was, No matter how hard I try, I won’t be good enough. I rewrote the belief: I have no one to please but God Himself. I choose to release myself from the expectations of others.

...seems off to me. I realize that people pleasing can be a problem, and there are times when we must obey God rather then men, but does the Bible say that we have no one to please but God? Shouldn't a child try to please his or her parents, honoring them? Shouldn't a husband or wife try to please their spouse, loving them and honoring them? Shouldn't workers try to please those they work for by doing good work?

And let's be honest, in many things, no matter how hard I try, I won't be good enough. Like may kids as they were growing up, I had many dreams of wanting to do things that, in all honesty, I was ill-suited physically and mentally to do. I never even reached six feet in height, so my youthful dreams of becoming a basketball star were unfufilled. And looking at that now, I'm fine with that.

Finally, if I can't acknowledge the negative things about myself, and can only do "positive affirmations", then I'm in a dangerous spot. The Bible says many negative things about humanity and each person--that we are all sinners, that we cannot do anything on our own to save ourselves, that we are dead in our sins. And the message of Christian is an initially negative one, the call for people to repent of their sins.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter October 3rd 2016, 10:43 am

My take on the article is that is has some good things to say, but says them without the best precision, which can lead to the individual reader misinterpreting the intent or just interpreting it in a way that leans in a direction they want.

I'd go a step off course in the intro and say "Your identity is what God thinks about you." That's the reality. And I think the author would agree. I think what he REALLY means to say is "What you tend to define as Your identity is what you think about yourself."

His language is a bit subjective and he seems to be leaning on secular thinking/psychology more than I would, but I think his actual viewpoint(were we to sit and quiz him) is probably pretty good.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is March 28th 2024, 11:47 pm