Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

5 posters

The Great Wall trailer

jazzact13

Activity : 267
    Geek-Cred : 3

The Great Wall trailer Empty The Great Wall trailer

Post  jazzact13 January 22nd 2017, 9:36 pm

I think this might have been a decent idea for a movie, if they hadn't decided to play games with the history of The Great Wall, and make it some kind strange fantasy story about dragons. And if they hadn't put Damon in it.

Reed Benson
    Reed Benson

Activity : 406
    Geek-Cred : 1

The Great Wall trailer Empty Re: The Great Wall trailer

Post  Reed Benson January 22nd 2017, 10:56 pm

I actually like the idea of taking liberties with history and making it fantastical (as long as you're not trying to present it as fact). Isn't that kind of what the National Treasure movies did?

I'd be much more interested in The Great Wall if it had an all-Chinese cast. Sticking a white actor with a name in (what I assume is) the lead role is just bait for the Western audience.

There's a controversy in China about the reviews of this movie. A couple websites - one a hub for user reviews, the other a review aggregator - gave it low ratings, and the State-run media got mad at them for damaging the Chinese film industry. I recently read an editorial in an English-language Chinese newspaper about it. (In case you didn't know, the vast majority of editorials from Chinese news outlets agree with whatever the government's position is.)
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter January 23rd 2017, 9:45 am

I don't have an opinion one way or the other. Just real curious about this one. Although I will say I probably wouldn't pay it any attention without the promise of the fantastical or some indication that it's heavily character driven.

www.spiritblade.com
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

Post  mikel.withers January 23rd 2017, 11:00 am

I want to see this, but I don't have terribly high expectations.
    I'm okay with Matt Damon as an actor, and if his story makes sense...in a story about dragon things being the reason the Great wall was built... then I'm good with him being in it.

Do you think there is a reversal of the trend where the Asian guy or gal come to the West and is a great fighter?
    Reed Benson
    Reed Benson

Activity : 406
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  Reed Benson January 23rd 2017, 11:56 pm

mikel.withers wrote:Do you think there is a reversal of the trend where the Asian guy or gal come to the West and is a great fighter?

That is possible. I guess it just depends on how Damon's character is presented. Is he a "white savior" or just a cog in the wheel that happens to be a foreigner?
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings January 24th 2017, 5:25 pm

Interesting.

With a title like "Great Wall", I would expect a historical drama that is grounded in reality.

I do like the idea of a secret-history fantasy, but would have given it a different title.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 19th 2024, 4:13 am