Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+3
Battlemech37
mikel.withers
Paeter
7 posters

Christians Creating Creative Content

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Christians Creating Creative Content Empty Christians Creating Creative Content

Post  Paeter February 3rd 2017, 9:41 am

Since my interview with Dallas Jenkins I've wondered again who in our community is creating content, and especially those who would like to make a career out of it, if any.
    What did you guys think about what Dallas shared regarding being a Christian in a creative arts career? Did any thoughts about your own work come to mind?

Here's the video in case you haven't seen it.

mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

Christians Creating Creative Content Empty Re: Christians Creating Creative Content

Post  mikel.withers February 3rd 2017, 12:47 pm

Took me two days, but I finally sat down long enough to finish the last ten minutes of the interview.
    Great work, by the way.
    I also listened to Mere Christianity (for like the tenth time) yesterday, and something in there made me realize I should be working on my writing more, and gaming less. Then the end of the interview, and yeah: I'm getting reminders from different places as well.

On top of that... the Children's Ministry Director has started to gently remind me that I did the Noah theme in the boy's room, but the girl's room hasn't gotten a painting update yet... much less the children's wing hallway.
    And that's not all!
    I also recall that I bought material to make an appreciation gift for someone and it has been sitting on my dresser for about a month.

So.
    Friday.
    And it looks like I have a busy weekend ahead of me.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Christians Creating Creative Content Empty Re: Christians Creating Creative Content

Post  Paeter February 6th 2017, 9:43 am

mikel.withers wrote:
    So.
    Friday.
    And it looks like I have a busy weekend ahead of me.

Sounds like you've got multiple places to use your gifting. That's awesome! And cool that you can apply your visual arts gifting to your church!
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

Post  mikel.withers May 25th 2017, 3:01 pm

Well, I made that appreciation gift, and now it has been in a box for a month awaiting mailing out.

Anyway, back to the top:
    I just saw The Redemption of Gavin Stone, and while I've seen this story, usually in the form of a sports movie, I thought it was pretty good.
    I laughed, I got a lump in my throat, I want to see it again, and when was the last time a "Christian movie" didn't seem like a waste of time much less make me want to sit through it again without a gun to my head?
    I mean: yeah, this is for a church audience. But I wouldn't be embarrassed if a "non-churched" friend saw it with me.
    It even comes across as plausible; more plausible than the "based on a true story" sports movies it so resembles.
    It isn't perfect. It's predictable, and some scenes feel like they are just there to move the movie from one real scene to the next.
    But I give it a 4 out of 5. I want to see more like this, and I'm looking forward to seeing what Dallas Jenkins does next.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter May 30th 2017, 9:38 am

mikel.withers wrote: I want to see more like this, and I'm looking forward to seeing what Dallas Jenkins does next.

Yeah, I'm with you!
    Battlemech37
    Battlemech37

Activity : 53
    Geek-Cred : 0

Christians Creating Creative Content Empty Creating Content

Post  Battlemech37 June 5th 2017, 9:14 pm

Yes, I've been busy trying to find ways to use the gifts God has given me in a variety of ways (apart from the old job). Sometimes it can feel like you're not very successful at it. I do a lot of cartoons both locally and for a blog I run, and try to create shirt or sticker artwork through a redbubble store I have. Hardly making any money, but it's fun. And I think it's trying to share a Truth message too.

Saying that, I just wanted to let you know Paeter that we enjoyed a couple Spirit Blade podcasts on our trip recently. My son really liked listening to them.

Also subscribed to your youtube channel. Nice work on that as well - although I feel like you need some cool CGC artwork on your office walls (ha ha).

Saying that, if you would ever like me to come up with some cool memes or art (that's another area I specialize in), just let me know! I'd be happy to donate the work to help grow the podcast and site. Professional graphic artist, and work in marketing and social media too. I really admire what you're doing, and find encouragement that another person around my age is out there working hard to try to do something cool for Him too. Would love to chat sometime. Just drop me an email (or I can email you) and we can chat about some cool art or meme stuff to help get the word out on what you're doing here! tridus (at) live (dot) com.
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate July 26th 2017, 11:42 am

I started on a scifi trilogy and even nearly finished it (yes, all three novels), but then when I read them through after a while (with 'fresh' eyes) I was not impressed with it at all. Which discouraged me so much that I put it on the backburner.
    That was about five years ago. I still want to do a re-write some day but right now I find the thought of doing all that work all over again and more, too daunting.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings July 26th 2017, 7:17 pm

Don't give up. Everybody writes a couple of bad books first.
    Maybe you should write another, purely for fun. Come back to your trilogy after you've built up your writing muscles.
    I could point you toward some really good resources on writing craft if you're interested.
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Post  ComiKate July 27th 2017, 3:41 am

AdamCollings wrote:I could point you toward some really good resources on writing craft if you're interested.
    That would be great. Thanks Adam!
    Fedor
    Fedor

Activity : 20

Post  Fedor July 27th 2017, 11:30 am

ComiKate wrote:I started on a scifi trilogy and even nearly finished it
    Never give up king

AdamCollings wrote:Maybe you should write another, purely for fun.

Good advice!
    I worked for my first book for two years. It was hard research. But publisher didn't take it. Then i wrote a book for young adult for one month, just for fun. And it was free to download book. More then 100 000 children chosed this book as favorite. I did't earn money, but it was fun. It was good chance to feel your readers.
    Battlemech37
    Battlemech37

Activity : 53

Christians Creating Creative Content Empty Curious

Post  Battlemech37 July 27th 2017, 4:08 pm

ComiKate wrote:I started on a scifi trilogy and even nearly finished it (yes, all three novels), but then when I read them through after a while (with 'fresh' eyes) I was not impressed with it at all. Which discouraged me so much that I put it on the backburner.
    That was about five years ago. I still want to do a re-write some day but right now I find the thought of doing all that work all over again and more, too daunting.

Hey, I'd be curious in seeing your story Smile Have you ever thought about releasing it episodically on a blog? Or maybe doing an ebook that people could download for a small cost and give feedback?

Anyway, I did a story about 10 years ago too - 250 some pages about a pre-flood world. It was Christian fantasy aimed at younger teens (but hopefully enjoyable for adults too). I had a professional editor give me feedback on the first several chapters and it really deflated my drive to see it through. I put it aside, and think about it from time to time. I feel like it would need a lot of edit work, but I like the story and feel like it could be interesting to people. It's always a shame when a story is there, but is never enjoyed or appreciated by others.
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Post  ComiKate July 27th 2017, 5:10 pm

Battlemech37 wrote:Hey, I'd be curious in seeing your story Smile Have you ever thought about releasing it episodically on a blog? Or maybe doing an ebook that people could download for a small cost and give feedback?

Anyway, I did a story about 10 years ago too - 250 some pages about a pre-flood world. It was Christian fantasy aimed at younger teens (but hopefully enjoyable for adults too). I had a professional editor give me feedback on the first several chapters and it really deflated my drive to see it through. I put it aside, and think about it from time to time. I feel like it would need a lot of edit work, but I like the story and feel like it could be interesting to people. It's always a shame when a story is there, but is never enjoyed or appreciated by others.

Thanks for the encouragement and the interesting ideas!! Although your anecdote about the professional editor's feedback make it seem like a high mountain to conquer, to me. I admire your guts to put it out there!
    I'll think about it some more scratch study

Last edited by ComiKate on July 27th 2017, 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Post  ComiKate July 27th 2017, 5:13 pm

Fedor wrote:Then i wrote a book for young adult for one month, just for fun. And it was free to download book. More then 100 000 children chosed this book as favorite. I did't earn money, but it was fun. It was good chance to feel your readers.
    That sounds like an awesome experience! Have you continued writing since then? Maybe YA is a special talent you have, not everyone can write for young people. It may be more difficult than writing for adults, even...
    UKSteve
    UKSteve

Activity : 354
    Geek-Cred : 10

Post  UKSteve July 28th 2017, 3:19 am

ComiKate wrote:I still want to do a re-write some day but right now I find the thought of doing all that work all over again and more, too daunting.

Maybe you should try NaNoWriMo Katja - admittedly it's more for first drafts than re-writes, but it makes the hard slog of putting words down a lot of fun!

Also - a nearly finished trilogy? That's quite an achievement in itself! And bear in mind that, as Terry Pratchett said, the first draft is just you telling yourself the story.
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Post  ComiKate July 28th 2017, 3:53 pm

UKSteve wrote:
    ComiKate wrote:I still want to do a re-write some day but right now I find the thought of doing all that work all over again and more, too daunting.

Maybe you should try NaNoWriMo Katja - admittedly it's more for first drafts than re-writes, but it makes the hard slog of putting words down a lot of fun!

Also - a nearly finished trilogy? That's quite an achievement in itself! And bear in mind that, as Terry Pratchett said, the first draft is just you telling yourself the story.

Thank you for that UKSteve, for your encouragement and also this great quote by Pratchett, which I hadn't heard before!
    Fedor
    Fedor

Activity : 20

Post  Fedor August 1st 2017, 3:00 am

ComiKate wrote:
    That sounds like an awesome experience! Have you continued writing since then? Maybe YA is a special talent you have, not everyone can write for young people. It may be more difficult than writing for adults, even...
    Yes, you right.
    I wrote many articles that have millions of views, i wrote some books, i have several internet projects (about maps, space and literature). And succeed in this, but it's not about christianity.  I can be a famous person in this world, but i want to be famous in Heaven worlds.
    So our team began to work for big boss, Jesus Christ. And we need all our power and super skills to promote Christianity in modern world  Shocked
    My first language is russian, now we start to translate our projects into english. First of them is 'Login to Heaven'.
    Second may be about lucid dreams and Christianity...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is March 28th 2024, 3:18 pm