Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

Quantum Leap On Blu Ray!

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Quantum Leap On Blu Ray! Empty Quantum Leap On Blu Ray!

Post  Paeter February 9th 2017, 10:07 am

Just got the complete series on Tuesday.

Always loved this show but didn't purchase it before because the US DVD releases have all the licensed music removed, which totally destroys the ambient feel of so many of the time periods Sam leaps to.

With this set they specifically said in the marketing that "the vast majority" of licensed music has been restored. Didn't know exactly what that meant, but I figured after all this time, this is as close as I'll probably get to a 100% restoration. And speaking of restoration, the original film looks fantastic as restored for blu-ray!

The future stuff, which I always wanted to see more of when the show aired, HORRIBLY dates the show the more of it I saw. The pilot is slooooooooow... Could have been 1 hour long instead of a two parter. But the last 15 minutes were totally worth it, as Sam realizes in his current time period his father (who died in '74) is still alive. So he calls him on the phone, posing as a distant relative, and spends time just talking to him about life and the difficulties of father/son relationships. With tears streaming down his face he whispers "I love you dad" just before hanging up the phone. (And I'm welling up right now!)

I'm such a sucker for father/son stories, and in that short 5-10 minute sequence I was reminded and reassured of why I love this series. The drama. Over the years I've really begun gravitating toward geek genre settings with a dramatic character focus in their stories. The Incredible Hulk, Farscape (well, roll the dice for drama each episode), Battlestar, The Walking Dead... all shows that I think will age well because of their dramatic character stories. And so far the same is true of Quantum Leap.

I can still see them finding their footing in these early season 1 eps. But I remember a bit of what's coming and can't wait to get there!
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Quantum Leap On Blu Ray! Empty Re: Quantum Leap On Blu Ray!

Post  AdamCollings February 9th 2017, 5:49 pm

I never watched it 'back in the day' but I watched the first few seasons some years ago on DVD. Really need to go back and finish it. (we don't tend to hire DVDs very often anymore, in favour of Netflix)

Good that they chose to shoot it on film so they can do a high-def transfer. Those shows shot on video are forever mired in their standard definition.

It's interesting how, when you become a parent, stories like this can be so moving.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter February 10th 2017, 9:06 am

AdamCollings wrote:

It's interesting how, when you become a parent, stories like this can be so moving.

Yeah. And for me it's like a double wammy, because I've always been moved by father-son stories. First as the son, now as the father, too!

Although Hook is the exception. That was just a fantasy adventure before I had kids. Now I can't watch it without crying and regretting that I don't play with my boys more often. Good medicine.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is March 28th 2024, 8:03 pm