Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes

mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes Empty Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes

Post  mindspike October 17th 2010, 11:15 am

Just watched the teasers for the new series on Disney XD. Looks like Disney is going to be the best thing to happen to Marvel storytelling in a long time. Now all they have to do is reverse the whole Spider-Man divorces Mary Jane fiasco.

The new Avengers cartoon is going to air on Disney XD this Wednesday. It looks like edgy stories with some real bite to them. In the teaser trailers, we've seen some truly nasty conflict on Asgard, brutal Hulk-smash, a debate on the morality of imprisonment and war, graphically wounded (and dying!!) paramedics, Wolverine and Captain America in action in WW2, and not a shred of melodrama in sight. Add in some combat scenes that would never have passed BSNP ten years ago, and I'm completely jazzed to see this series.

I've enjoyed every one of the Lion's Gate Marvel movies. Planet Hulk is my favorite, and has actually earned a spot on my iPod, along with The Gamers: Dorkness Rising, as a movie I want available on demand.
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes Empty Re: Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes

Post  Rickster October 18th 2010, 4:02 am

Yeah the show looks cool hopefully Disney XD will treat it better then they do/did Aaron Stone
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster October 23rd 2010, 1:50 am

Did you watch it?
    What did you think?
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike November 13th 2010, 7:29 pm

Earth's! Mightiest! Heroes!

Well this show is an odd mixture of the old and the new, drawing from current and classic Avengers stories to give us something that isn't quite all of one or the other. Do I like it? Yeah, I think so.

The Avengers inevitably gets compared with the Justice League, but this show really suffers when held against the most recent JL/JLU series. While JL/JLU was adult programming masquerading as young adult animation, Avengers is pre-teen melodrama disguised as teenage adventurism. Plots are thin, conflict is contrived, characters are one-dimensional, and the penalty for failure seems neither epic nor personal. This is a good show for what it is, but it's not what I was hoping for.

It's old! The stories from the first five episodes of the series are recognizably adapted from the early issues of the comic book, including conflicting with the Hulk, finding Captain America in issue/episode 4, and what appears to be the formation of the Masters of Evil. The personal lives of the heroes are emphasized in the storytelling, and the group is more about solving each other's dysfunctional lives than the responsibility of power.

It's new! Rather than banding together to fight Loki, the Avengers are drawn together to deal with a prison breakout, as in the 2005 relaunch of the title written by Brian Michael Bendis. Only this time, rather than just the Slab, four (three?) different prisons for super villains fail at the same time. SHIELD is a paranoid, controlling organization run by people who routinely lie and manipulate the heroes, and the bottom line is that people in power are not to be trusted. Oh yes, Nick Fury is black, but is not Sam Jackson.

The good: the animation is slick and smooth, with clean lines, classic models, and good choreography, just what you would expect from Disney animators. When the story is on, it's on, as in Thor and Wasp nearly getting killed by MODOK. The voice work is good.

The bad: the Nick Fury character model is essentially the classic Fury, only colored black. It's a poor choice and feels much like a "token black man". The stories are off more than they're on, being far too simplistic for the subject matter. The personal lives and emotions of the heroes are given precedence over their roles as heroes.

In conclusion: the target demographic is showing. And if you are a male, about 10 years old, this is a great show. For everyone else... I really think it misses the mark.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is March 29th 2024, 1:35 am