Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Why Do You Prefer Darker/Lighter Fiction?

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Why Do You Prefer Darker/Lighter Fiction? Empty Why Do You Prefer Darker/Lighter Fiction?

Post  Paeter October 23rd 2017, 12:44 pm

Awhile back on some thread I expressed speculation that different geeks might gravitate toward lighter or darker entertainment, at least in part, because of their life experiences in the past or present. I'm interested in testing that theory a bit with anyone willing to help me. No need to share anything deep or give details, but I'm interested in knowing:

1. Do you prefer Lighter or Darker entertainment? (For example, the recently discussed Netflix Marvel shows, The Zach Snyder DC movies, The Game Of Thrones books, Breaking Bad, would all be "dark", where most Marvel movies, Nintendo games & animated shows would be "light" in tone.)

2. Have you had any hardship in the past or present that has had a significant impact on how you feel about life?

3. Do you see any potential relationship between your answers to #1 & #2? If not, why do you think you gravitate toward one over the other?

As you may already know, I usually prefer dark-themed entertainment. Relative to many others I have experienced little or no hardship at all in my life. One x factor that I wonder about is my continual yet very low-level anxiety. I suspect one reason people love horror movies is the challenge to "endure" an emotionally intense experience that, at the end of the day, we know is actually safe. I wonder if my interest in dark fiction is subconsciously part of a desire to test my ability to "endure"(far from a real test, of course), or to explore the endless "what ifs" that anxiety can bring and gain some catharsis from that process.

Anyway, since I don't really understand my own interest in dark entertainment I thought I might gain some insight from hearing from others on their preferences and speculation on their reasons.
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1082
    Geek-Cred : 7

Why Do You Prefer Darker/Lighter Fiction? Empty Re: Why Do You Prefer Darker/Lighter Fiction?

Post  jorowi October 23rd 2017, 2:26 pm

I'm generally agnostic when it comes to the tone of my fiction. I like good plots and characters. The tone should complement those two.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Why Do You Prefer Darker/Lighter Fiction? Empty Re: Why Do You Prefer Darker/Lighter Fiction?

Post  AdamCollings October 23rd 2017, 6:19 pm

1. Do you prefer Lighter or Darker entertainment? (For example, the recently discussed Netflix Marvel shows, The Zach Snyder DC movies, The Game Of Thrones books, Breaking Bad, would all be "dark", where most Marvel movies, Nintendo games & animated shows would be "light" in tone.)

I've gone on record a number of times saying how I love the Zach Snyder DC movies. In my case, I don't think it's specifically the darkness that I love, but the seriousness. (Dark and Serious tend to go hand in hand anyway).

I'll admit though, I have to take the Marvel Netflix shows in small doses because otherwise, even I can start to feel some "darkness fatigue" from them.

Here's the thing I'm learning. The more I love and care about a character/franchise, the more serious and dark I want it to be. I take Superman and Star Trek very seriously, so I want them to take themselves seriously. By that logic, I'm happy to enjoy a light-hearted jokey Avengers movie, but I would be very disapointed with they went that way with Superman. (Paradoxically, I grew up with the Christopher Reeve Superman, which defined my childhood, and still love it for the childhood emotions it brings back, but as an adult, I want an adult Superman).

So, overall, I'd say I lean more toward the dark tone in my fiction.

2. Have you had any hardship in the past or present that has had a significant impact on how you feel about life?
    The biggest problems in my life have been related to monetary difficulties, and my wife's depression and anxiety. Those have been hard times but I've come through them. In the grand scheme of things, I haven't had any major catastrophes in my life.

3. Do you see any potential relationship between your answers to #1 & #2? If not, why do you think you gravitate toward one over the other?
    I haven't thought about it before, but I think you're on to something Paeter. Looking back, I do find that during times in my life when I've been going through emotional difficulties, I have tended more toward comedic entertainment, and when things have been going well, I've tended more toward the serious and dark.
    I can understand that someone who is in a dark place wouldn't want that darkness in their entertainment.

But here's another factor to consider.

I have kids. From time to time, we watch a kids movie as a family. You know, the light-hearted,campy,stylised,not-so-serious Pixar type film. While I often find a lot of enjoyment sharing this experience with them, once the kids have gone to bed, I don't want more of the same. I want my meat and potatoes.
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster November 20th 2017, 7:50 pm

1. Do you prefer Lighter or Darker entertainment?
    Both I prefer my entertainment to be fun and have a clear resolution at the end usually with the good guys winning so usually that tends to fall towards lighter stuff but I get it with darker stuff too

Let me think Hmmm just the past 8 years with each year getting worse then the year before it

Actually no I've always enjoyed my entertainment like that.

I also want to add that Dark doesn't equal deep there can been a light movie that's deep and a darker movie that's shallow

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is March 28th 2024, 5:02 pm