Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

What Geeky Thing Was "So Much More Than You Thought"?

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

What Geeky Thing Was "So Much More Than You Thought"? Empty What Geeky Thing Was "So Much More Than You Thought"?

Post  Paeter March 6th 2018, 9:40 am

I'd love to hear about some geeky entertainment you tried out, thinking you might enjoy it, but then realized at some point you not only enjoyed it, but there was so much more to enjoy than you thought in terms of available content.

Maybe it's a TV show or book series that you tried out, enjoyed, and then discovered a ton of spin-offs or related products you could dive into as well.

Or maybe it's a video game that you thought you'd get 10 hrs out of and then ended up getting a hundred hours of fun out of it.

The first thing that comes to mind for me is the original Neverwinter Nights on PC. Had trouble getting into it the first time, then tried it again a year later and got totally sucked in. On top of that, there were so many quality user-created modules and campaigns to play through, some that were even better than the campaign included with the game! In fact I just came back to this game, yet again, after a couple years away from it. STILL a great experience!

More recently though, it's been "Monster Hunter World" on the PS4 (also available on Xbox One and coming to PC). At about the 35 hr mark I hit a boss that I heard was a sort of "wall" to stop players that hadn't invested enough in taking advantage of the game's systems and gaining proficiency with a weapon. I was prepared to get destroyed and then uninstall the game, simply being grateful for all the hours I DID get out of it. But lo and behold, although it was challenging, I didn't really even come close to losing that fight and have now continued on in the game. Based on the walkthrough outline I looked at, I'm only about 1/4th of my way through the main campaign, after which there are even more new monsters to take on if I want to. So a game I thought I might just get 20 hrs out of may end up giving me close to 140 hrs of fun!

So how about you? What geeky bit of entertainment did you try out, little realizing the pandora's box of fun it would open for you?

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

What Geeky Thing Was "So Much More Than You Thought"? Empty Re: What Geeky Thing Was "So Much More Than You Thought"?

Post  Rickster March 7th 2018, 11:57 pm

Trophy Hunting it started out as a New Years Resolution just to see if I could platinum get the platinum trophy on a game and now its something I even look at when considering if I want the game or not.

UKSteve
    UKSteve

Activity : 354
    Geek-Cred : 10

What Geeky Thing Was "So Much More Than You Thought"? Empty Re: What Geeky Thing Was "So Much More Than You Thought"?

Post  UKSteve March 10th 2018, 10:14 am

I've posted about this before, but it definitely answers the question:

A few years ago I thought it would be fun to try and put a Raspberry Pi inside the case of an old 80s computer.

When I bought an old 80s computer, it turned out that it still worked pretty well, which was actually more fun than my original idea... and now I have 11 retro systems and hundreds of games filling my house!

Also a largely forgotten Raspberry Pi somewhere too...
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter March 12th 2018, 8:59 am

UKSteve wrote:I've posted about this before, but it definitely answers the question:

A few years ago I thought it would be fun to try and put a Raspberry Pi inside the case of an old 80s computer.

When I bought an old 80s computer, it turned out that it still worked pretty well, which was actually more fun than my original idea... and now I have 11 retro systems and hundreds of games filling my house!

Also a largely forgotten Raspberry Pi somewhere too...

I don't remember getting the specifics of that "origin story" before, so thanks for sharing that! I'm not at all technologically skilled, but I love taking old things and making them new again. Something very rewarding in that and I suspect it has something to do with God's love for doing the same thing. (Revelation 21:5)

Just reading about your love of retro restoration makes me want to pull down my Atari 2600 and Frankenstein an HDMI adaptation chain to it. Maybe during The Summer Of Free this year...

www.spiritblade.com
    Reed Benson
    Reed Benson

Activity : 406
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  Reed Benson March 13th 2018, 9:14 pm

I did a YouTube search a number of years ago for "Christian movie reviews" or something like that, and I came across a video of paeter reviewing...something, I can't remember what. Maybe Amazing Spider-Man 2. Anyway, I saw that his channel was called "Christian Geek Central" and had a lot of reviews, so I subscribed. I thought, This is nice. I'll get to see some Christian-focused reviews of movies now and then, and maybe I'll find some spiritual significance to some films I'd never noticed before.

Little did I know what I would discover through that one channel...

• The Livestreams, which have had both fun and intellectually engaging moments.

• The forum, which has encouraged me and given me an outlet.

• The podcast, which has kept my mind occupied during cross-town transit.

• The podcast network that introduced me to Retro Rewind, Helix Reviews, POS TOS, and The Untold (which I was eventually published on).

• The social media connections to others like John, Adam, Francisco, Geek Devotions, etc.

• And probably some other things I'm forgetting to mention (no offense if it's you).
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter March 14th 2018, 10:14 am

Reed Benson wrote:I did a YouTube search a number of years ago for "Christian movie reviews" or something like that,
    Little did I know what I would discover through that one channel...

Lol! Thanks, Reed. So glad to hear. And that money I offered should be coming through Paypal soon.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 19th 2024, 7:34 am