Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

5 posters

Joaquin Phoenix's Joker

Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Joaquin Phoenix's Joker  Empty Joaquin Phoenix's Joker

Post  Rickster September 27th 2018, 3:00 am

What do you think of the recently released camera test for the new Joaquin Phoenix's Joker movie?

It's got me curious on the story and the character but the only thing i'm not thrilled about is the Joker's makeup

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Joaquin Phoenix's Joker  Empty Re: Joaquin Phoenix's Joker

Post  Paeter September 27th 2018, 8:43 am

I'm pretty open to seeing what they want to do. Looks like a serious tone on the story/character, which is a good start with me. I'm adjusting to the makeup, but yeah it was jarring at first.

Need to hear him laugh...
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings September 27th 2018, 6:29 pm

It's not working for me. He looks like too much of a happy clown.
    Say what you will about Leto's performance and laugh (and I personally haven't seen enough to really cement an opinion) he had a very unique look, which I was quite happy with. I think they knew they couldn't one-up Ledger's make-up, so they didn't even try. They just went in a new direction.

I think my biggest issue, though, is that I simply have zero interest in a standalone joker movie that's not associated with the DCEU.
    I'm not quite sure I see the need for all these villain movies. For me, villains work best when they are antagonists.
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 834
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  AGoodReed September 28th 2018, 3:01 am

AdamCollings wrote:I think my biggest issue, though, is that I simply have zero interest in a standalone joker movie that's not associated with the DCEU.
    I'm not quite sure I see the need for all these villain movies. For me, villains work best when they are antagonists.

Seconded. That's one thing that kept me from seeing Suicide Squad for so long. I don't relate to villains, especially when they're unapologetic about their crimes. That's why I disliked Batman: Assault on Arkham outside of the scenes with Batman in them. And I never was interested in reading Brian Azzarello's Joker graphic novel.

I'm fine with this make-up for now. I'm more curious about what the plot of the film is. Is Scorcese still directing?
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1082
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  jorowi October 2nd 2018, 9:43 am

I like the call back to Cesar Romero's Joker from Batman '66. What makes that Joker such a threat is that he doesn't look like a villain.

As far as being in the DCEU goes, I think it should be tanked. Start over. Don't try to build a franchise like Marvel has done. Do great one-off movies with great characters and stories.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter October 2nd 2018, 11:48 am

jorowi wrote:

As far as being in the DCEU goes, I think it should be tanked. Start over. Don't try to build a franchise like Marvel has done. Do great one-off movies with great characters and stories.

Second this! As far as I'm concerned let the brand and it's quality in a diversity of tones be the common ground and "selling point", not the continuity.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is March 29th 2024, 2:04 am