Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Watch Star Trek Discover Season 2 Premiere FREE

AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Watch Star Trek Discover Season 2 Premiere FREE Empty Watch Star Trek Discover Season 2 Premiere FREE

Post  AdamCollings January 27th 2019, 1:27 am

CBS have made the first episode of Star Trek Discovery season 2 available for free for 2 weeks on their youTube channel.

This may be of interest for those who wants to give this new season a chance but are unwilling to pay for CBS All Access.
    And this new season is worth checking out so far. It's quite different from season 1. The premiere felt very cinematic, and coming in at about 1 hour of runtime, it really felt like watching a movie.
    In a lot of ways, this season feels more "Star Trek" and yet at the same time, it feels like a modern TV show.

I feel that they've found a good balance between being a modern serialised story, and staying true to the Trek roots of exploring strange new worlds. The season takes them on a long-form mission to understand a mysterious phenomenon, but that mission will take them lots of different places, but without feeling like "planet of the week". It's what I've always envisaged for a modern Star Trek, and so far, they seem to be pulling it off quite well.

They are also exploring the theme of science vs faith throughout the season, which means there could be some relevancy.

There is a bit more humour this year, but most of it comes naturally out of the characters, except for the "sneeze scene" which you may have seen in trailers.

Anyway, I'm enjoying what I'm seeing so far.

So, here it is.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Watch Star Trek Discover Season 2 Premiere FREE Empty Re: Watch Star Trek Discover Season 2 Premiere FREE

Post  Paeter January 28th 2019, 3:12 pm

Cool, thanks for posting this!
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1082
    Geek-Cred : 7

Watch Star Trek Discover Season 2 Premiere FREE Empty Re: Watch Star Trek Discover Season 2 Premiere FREE

Post  jorowi January 29th 2019, 5:33 pm

I didn't finish the first season. After about 4 episodes I no longer found it compelling.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter January 30th 2019, 10:50 am

Still thinking of making time for this. Do you think I'll feel completely lost if I only watched the pilot for season 1?
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings January 30th 2019, 5:46 pm

Paeter wrote:Still thinking of making time for this. Do you think I'll feel completely lost if I only watched the pilot for season 1?

No. It is in every way that matters, a new story. It actually feels kinda like a series pilot in some ways. They have a little "last season..." bit at the start to bring you up to speed. That's all you really need. The main arcs of season 1 (Klingon war and mirror universe) are all wrapped up. Season 2 starts a brand new arc.

I know one of the issues you had with the season 1 pilot was the dialog. Going back and re-watching that pilot, I started to see it (well, hear). There was some pretty awkward dialog early on, especially between Burnham and Saru. The dialog in S2 premiere is a lot better (and I've heard the specifically mentioned by other reviewers.)
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter January 31st 2019, 10:16 am

[quote="AdamCollings"]
    Paeter wrote:

I know one of the issues you had with the season 1 pilot was the dialog. Going back and re-watching that pilot, I started to see it (well, hear). There was some pretty awkward dialog early on, especially between Burnham and Saru. The dialog in S2 premiere is a lot better (and I've heard the specifically mentioned by other reviewers.)

Okay, cool. Thanks!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is March 29th 2024, 12:54 am