Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

The Boys (Amazon's Superhero TV Series)

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

The Boys (Amazon's Superhero TV Series) Empty The Boys (Amazon's Superhero TV Series)

Post  Paeter February 6th 2019, 3:58 pm

I'm not sure what I'm looking at here, but I see the potential for it to swing and miss bad with me... or be something I absolutely love.

(Warning for language and flipping birds)

DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

The Boys (Amazon's Superhero TV Series) Empty Re: The Boys (Amazon's Superhero TV Series)

Post  DNArington February 14th 2019, 1:00 pm

It seems like there is a sudden influx of this kind of show recently. The Umbrella Academy, Deadly Class, Doom Patrol and even Preacher falls into this category of off-kilter comic book based shows that are dark/comedic. I like this when it's done well, so I will check these all out, but it looks like this is the new trend for comic book TV.
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 834
    Geek-Cred : 4

The Boys (Amazon's Superhero TV Series) Empty Re: The Boys (Amazon's Superhero TV Series)

Post  AGoodReed February 14th 2019, 6:28 pm

Ugh. The Boys. Garth Ennis' stuff is just too crude for me, to put it lightly. I actually based my senior thesis around his first story arc when he brought back the Punisher from the weird guardian angel period he was in, but I don't think I could go back and read that series anymore. Everything I've read of his is dark and pessimistic.

I browsed the first few issues of The Boys once at a comic shop, and I gathered that it's basically a bunch of superheroes who are all corrupt and a group of people whose job it is to keep them in check, but they're all immoral or amoral people, too. The first issue featured a new girl joining the top superhero team and discovering that she was expected to give the male members sexual favors.

So it looks like bad guys vs. bad guys in a screwed up world with no hope in sight. I can't let that kind of story into my life.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter February 15th 2019, 9:59 am

AGoodReed wrote:The first issue featured a new girl joining the top superhero team and discovering that she was expected to give the male members sexual favors.

So it looks like bad guys vs. bad guys in a screwed up world with no hope in sight. I can't let that kind of story into my life.

Yikes. Well if it's gonna be all sexy just to get those clicks I'm out. As for the tone, I appreciate dark, screwed up worlds and characters. But I do need there to either be hope at some point, or for the characters to be used in a "cautionary tale" style, where the viewer at least comes away with something valuable to process. But that requires a writer who wants to uphold some virtues.

I think Breaking Bad is a good example. Walter White goes down a very dark path, but as a viewer I can tell that I'm supposed to SEE it as a dark path. They don't just show him being immoral, we feel the tragic consequences as well.

So we'll see what The Boys does, I guess.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is March 29th 2024, 1:54 am