The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

My Car Died

AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1008
    Geek-Cred : 7

My Car Died Empty My Car Died

Post  AdamCollings on March 11th 2019, 4:39 am

So this weekend (long weekend in Australia) we went to our church camp, which was a great time.

My car hasn't been great lately. Badly in need of a service, and exhibiting some issues. I really didn't want to take it on a trip to another town. I didn't think it was a good idea.
    My wife wanted to take two cars so she could go up early and get set up before the kids finished school.
    I eventually relented, still not overly comfortable taking my car.

On the way home today, the car died.
    The engine just gave up and stopped working. Now it won't start.
    We got it towed home.

A mechanic is going to come around to our place tomorrow night to assess whether it's worth getting it towed to a repair place, or selling it off for scrap.

As you can imagine, I am filling with many emotions.

The most important thing is that no other cars were involved, it was not a crash, and nobody was hurt.
    I honestly don't know what's going to happen. It's till possible the car might be fixable.
    Or it might not be.

I'm now weighing up the pros and cons of being a single-car family. It will present some challenges, but I work from home most of the time, I could learn to catch a bus when I go in to the office. The kids now live up the road from school, and most of the time lately, my wife works nights, so I'm sleeping when she's using her car. You could say this couldn't have happened at a better time.
    No second car means half the insurance, half the rego and half the petrol. All savings that could go toward paying off our house.

I feel a lot of guilt and regret about not having maintained my car better. I had some reasons, but they all feel pretty hollow tonight.

Anyway, it's in God's hands now, and I'm trusting him to bring good out of the situation.

Please pray for God to bring good out of this bad situation, and for peace, not just for me, but my family.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 6931
    Geek-Cred : 57

My Car Died Empty Re: My Car Died

Post  Paeter on March 11th 2019, 9:20 am

Praying for you guys! Thanks for letting us know!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on March 13th 2019, 3:05 am

Little update. The guy came around and had a look. He checked the timing belt (or something like that) and said that appeared good. (phew, cause that would have been the expensive big).
    The most likely scenario at present is that the alternator stopped working so it wasn't charging my battery, and it just got flat.

He's coming back Friday night to try jumpt starting it and then running some tests on the alternator.

Anyway, it's looking like it might be a lot less serious than I feared.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on March 13th 2019, 10:29 am

AdamCollings wrote:

Anyway, it's looking like it might be a lot less serious than I feared.

That would be wonderful! Please feel free to keep us updated!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on March 21st 2019, 5:18 pm

So a very generous mechanic came to our house twice to help us figure out the severity of the problem to determine our next course of action.

The end result was not good. The engine has had it and probably not worth replacing. So we plan to sell it to a wrecker.

I'm not stressed about the future, I think we can learn to cope with one car. I'm going to start using the bus when I need to go into the office, and my mum can even lend me my grandmother's car on occasion when I need it.
    I'm relieved that I won't have to pay out big to get the car fixed, and I'll no longer have to pay two lots of car insurance, two lots of car rego and two lots of petrol, so that's a blessing in disguise.

My main issue is that I'm feeling a lot of regret and guilt, that I didn't take better care of the car. Honestly, I was trying. I was regularly checking the oil and topping it up. I actually checked the oil just before out big trip. Unfortunately, there are two dipsticks under the bonnet, and I was using the wrong one. So I thought there was heaps of oil in the engine, when in fact, there was none.

I guess there's a little lesson here. As geeks we often pride ourselves in living in our own world, with our own geek interests, and not being interested in the same things that "normal people" are interested in". (sports, cars, etc). But maybe we need to take a little more interest in things outside of geekdom once in a while. Ouch.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on March 22nd 2019, 10:07 am

Oh man, that is discouraging. Grateful you're seeing God use it in your life, but still a tough thing and challenging adjustment. Praying for your peace and perspective, and for God to bless you tangibly as you pivot and move toward him more.

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 779
    Geek-Cred : 6

Post  jorowi on April 1st 2019, 9:34 am

I've done regular maintenance on our vehicles for 20 years. I'm not the best driveway mechanic out there but I get along. I've saved our family thousands in oil changes alone.

Pro tip: Use YouTube. I've done repairs while watching a video. So helpful!

Twitter
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on April 1st 2019, 5:42 pm

Yes. youTube is wonderful. And I did watch a couple of youTube videos on how to check your oil. But I still got it wrong. Embarassed

I did manage to change a tap washer in our shower with youTube's help a few month's back, though. I was not a fan of the activitiy but it felt good not to have to call my dad and ask him to do it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 20th 2019, 11:48 pm