Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Marvel's "What If?" Series

AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 834
    Geek-Cred : 4

Marvel's "What If?" Series Empty Marvel's "What If?" Series

Post  AGoodReed March 13th 2019, 10:13 pm

Marvel may be planning an animated series of alternative interpretations of their characters' stories in the vein of the old What If? comics.

https://www.superherohype.com/tv/438857-report-disney-may-be-planning-a-marvel-what-if-animated-series

I was a big fan of What If? back in the day. I'd read some of the same issues over and over, occasionally wishing that they'd develop them into their own respective series. The concept is similar to DC's Elseworlds line (not sure which came first), but the key difference is that Elseworlds stories tend to reimagine whole worlds, while What If" stories usually alter just one variable of the mainstream world and follow the changes it causes. For instance, in Superman: Red Son, not only did Superman's ship crash in the Soviet Union, but I believe other superheroes also happen to be Soviets, too. What if stories are more like, "What If Gwen Stacy Had Lived?" or "What if Storm Had the Power of the Phoenix?" Also, Elseworlds never had a regular series that I know of.

I particularly enjoyed "What If Venom Had Possessed the Punisher?"

And I remember a double issue with two stories focused on "What if the Fantastic Four's Second Child Had Lived?" that has really stuck with me ever since I bought it. The first one was a horror story where the new daughter turned out to be a malevolent demon that eventually killed everyone but Franklin Richards, who was able to send it to the Negative Zone (I think). The second one was more positive - the girl was a mutant who had healing powers.

Did anyone else read What If? If so, what stories do your remember?

Current date/time is March 29th 2024, 2:43 am