The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Obi Wan vs Vader Fight scene re-imagined

AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1008
    Geek-Cred : 7

Obi Wan vs Vader Fight scene re-imagined Empty Obi Wan vs Vader Fight scene re-imagined

Post  AdamCollings on May 8th 2019, 6:40 pm

Let's be honest, as classic as the movie is, the lightsabre duel in Star Wars Episode IV is pretty pathetic. I cringe every time I watch it. I dont bare any ill-will about it. It was another time on a shoestring budget and George Lucas was a fairly new filmmaker.

But someone has shot their own version of the battle and rather nicely edited into the footage of the movie. And I love it. Very nicely done. And the little bits of voiceover from episode 3 give the battle so much more emotional resonance. (they could have really overdone this, but I think they had just enough).

Is it heresy to say that I want George to release one last special edition with this scene edited in?
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 200
    Geek-Cred : 1

Obi Wan vs Vader Fight scene re-imagined Empty Re: Obi Wan vs Vader Fight scene re-imagined

Post  AGoodReed on May 8th 2019, 8:11 pm

That was pretty incredible. Disney/Lucasfilm could easily make an even more polished version that would fit in well enough with the rest of the special edition version.

One thing I want to change (but I know it wouldn't really make sense unless you're intentionally watching the prequels first) is to have Obi Wan call him "Anakin" instead of "Darth." Seems like it would make more sense from Obi Wan's perspective.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Obi Wan vs Vader Fight scene re-imagined Empty Re: Obi Wan vs Vader Fight scene re-imagined

Post  AdamCollings on May 9th 2019, 1:01 am

I agree with that, Reed, for two reasons. First of all, yes, from a character perspective, Obi Wan would totally address him as Anakin.
    Secondly, Darth is a title, not a name, so even if he were to use that, he'd be more likely to say "Vader" not "Darth". I don't think he is ever addressed as "Darth" in the entire series other than here.

But yeah, it is potentially a spoiler for Empire if you haven't already seen the prequels. (Personally, I like the idea of watching the movies in chronological order, but I'm something of a Star Wars heathen)
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 6944
    Geek-Cred : 57

Post  Paeter on May 9th 2019, 10:17 am

AdamCollings wrote:
    Secondly, Darth is a title, not a name, so even if he were to use that, he'd be more likely to say "Vader" not "Darth". I don't think he is ever addressed as "Darth" in the entire series other than here.

Although I don't think Lucas planned this all out enough to intend it, I think of Obi Wan's use of the title "Darth" as significant and purposeful. So much time has passed, during which Anakin has gone so far off track, that Anakin is gone in Obi Wan's mind. Remember that he told Luke that Darth Vader killed his father, which I think Obi Wan felt he could honestly say. So by calling him "Darth", I see it as a bit of a dig at him and a pronouncement of judgment, especially with the added descriptor "Master of Evil".

Anyhoo, this was really cool!! I'd be up for one more monkeying of this by Disney, as well as a cleaned up but otherwise untouched remaster of the original theatrical cut.

www.spiritblade.com
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 888
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike on May 9th 2019, 8:37 pm

AdamCollings wrote:Secondly, Darth is a title, not a name, so even if he were to use that, he'd be more likely to say "Vader" not "Darth". I don't think he is ever addressed as "Darth" in the entire series other than here.

Nerd.... rage.... fading.... world.... coming.... back.... into.... focus....

Pointless trivia time:

Right up until Lucas released The Phantom Menace in 1999, Darth Vader was a character whose first name is "Darth" and last name is "Vader". None of the novels or comics used "Darth" as anything other than a name, and no other character shared that name. Darth Maul was the first character other than Vader to share the name "Darth". And Vader was known publicly as a "Dark Jedi, a Dark Lord of the Sith" - itself a term not specifically defined.

So where did it come from?

Much like the Sith, "Darth" as a title was more a part of the Star Wars zeitgeist than a defined element. Even now, though the Sith have received a great deal of treatment, "Darth" has not. I don't know of any interview or article where its use is defined for the creators' use or the audience's understanding. Is it a proper first name? Is it a family/clan/order name? Is it a title denoting status or position? There is no concrete answer that I can find.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on May 10th 2019, 9:02 am

mindspike wrote:

I could almost see your text going from green to black and reducing in point size. Smile

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on May 12th 2019, 6:31 pm

mindspike wrote:

lol. Sorry Winston.
    Thanks for educating me.

Personally I like the idea of it being a title because it makes a lot more sense to me, but I can understand your frustration at this being retconned.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on May 13th 2019, 9:59 am

mindspike wrote:
    Right up until Lucas released The Phantom Menace in 1999, Darth Vader was a character whose first name is "Darth" and last name is "Vader".

In college I wrote lyrics to the Imperial March (and several other SW themes, which I performed in front of a choir filled with Masters and Doctoral students) and treated Darth as his first name. Do I win some Crutchfield points for that, or has the deadline expired to turn that in?

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2257
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster on May 13th 2019, 7:59 pm

Paeter wrote: Do I win some Crutchfield points for that, or has the deadline expired to turn that in?

I just noticed the Geek Cred is gone from the forums
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Post  mindspike on May 15th 2019, 4:17 pm

Paeter wrote:
    mindspike wrote:
    Right up until Lucas released The Phantom Menace in 1999, Darth Vader was a character whose first name is "Darth" and last name is "Vader".

In college I wrote lyrics to the Imperial March (and several other SW themes, which I performed in front of a choir filled with Masters and Doctoral students) and treated Darth as his first name. Do I win some Crutchfield points for that, or has the deadline expired to turn that in?

Laughing Not sure those points are worth anything! They're kinda stale......

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on May 16th 2019, 10:07 am

mindspike wrote:

Laughing Not sure those points are worth anything! They're kinda stale......

Oh man, don't I know it.

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on May 16th 2019, 10:08 am

Rickster wrote:

I just noticed the Geek Cred is gone from the forums

Hmm. I wonder if that was phased out in an update. Didn't notice it myself.

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on May 16th 2019, 6:56 pm

I've often noticed the geek cred on our profiles, and even noticed I had some, I just never understood where it comes from.
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Post  mindspike on May 22nd 2019, 6:21 am

I'll look at the settings, but I believe a Forum Motion update may have turned it off.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 26th 2019, 6:33 pm