Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

5 posters

They Did It...

AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 834
    Geek-Cred : 4

They Did It... Empty They Did It...

Post  AGoodReed July 22nd 2019, 6:44 am

They Did It... Engame10

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/21/avengers-endgame-is-the-highest-grossing-film-of-all-time.html
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1082
    Geek-Cred : 7

They Did It... Empty Re: They Did It...

Post  jorowi July 22nd 2019, 8:24 am

Meh. How many tickets did they sell? They never compare ticket sales, only dollar amounts. In 2009 the average cost of a movie ticket was $7.50. Now, it's $9.01. If you look at est. ticket sales, Avatar sold an estimated 95.9 million tickets domestically and Endgame sold 94.8. Adjust Avatar for 2019 ticket prices and Endgame still has a way to go.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter July 22nd 2019, 12:46 pm

jorowi wrote:Meh. How many tickets did they sell? They never compare ticket sales, only dollar amounts. In 2009 the average cost of a movie ticket was $7.50. Now, it's $9.01. If you look at est. ticket sales, Avatar sold an estimated 95.9 million tickets domestically and Endgame sold 94.8. Adjust Avatar for 2019 ticket prices and Endgame still has a way to go.

Really good point. I saw a story I didn't click on that mentioned a caveat to this news, so maybe that was it.

Still super impressive though.
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike July 22nd 2019, 4:47 pm

Guess it all depends on the metrics. According to Box Office Mojo the top three films according to adjusted gross revenue are:

1. Gone With the Wind
    2. Star Wars
    3. The Sound of Music

When you change the sorting adjuster to ticket sales, the top three are:

1. Gone With the Wind
    2. Star Wars
    3. The Sound of Music

Avatar and Endgame never even break the top 10.
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Post  AGoodReed July 22nd 2019, 5:36 pm

mindspike wrote:Guess it all depends on the metrics. According to Box Office Mojo the top three films according to adjusted gross revenue are:

1. Gone With the Wind
    2. Star Wars
    3. The Sound of Music

When you change the sorting adjuster to ticket sales, the top three are:

1. Gone With the Wind
    2. Star Wars
    3. The Sound of Music

Avatar and Endgame never even break the top 10.

That's good. I just don't want Avatar to be the top. I have a grudge against that movie for some reason despite never seeing the whole thing.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings July 22nd 2019, 6:17 pm

AGoodReed wrote:
    That's good. I just don't want Avatar to be the top. I have a grudge against that movie for some reason despite never seeing the whole thing.

Interesting. I loved Avatar. I went in expecting just an action movie with a few sci-fi trappings. but I got a real proper sci-fi movie with a hint of epic fantasy.
    I'm curious what it is about Avatar that turned you off.
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Post  AGoodReed July 22nd 2019, 7:09 pm

AdamCollings wrote:
    AGoodReed wrote:

Interesting. I loved Avatar. I went in expecting just an action movie with a few sci-fi trappings. but I got a real proper sci-fi movie with a hint of epic fantasy.

Hype backlash. I hated the look of it - the aliens, the mountains, the wildlife - but people kept telling me I needed to see in because it was so amazing in IMAX 3D. I hate it when people gush over things, so I revolted and pretty much refused to see it.

I had similar issues with X2 - X-Men United. My friends were gushing over it before I saw it, so when I did, it was underwhelming just because of my expectations. But since it was based on a property I was already invested in, I would've seen it no matter what.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter July 23rd 2019, 12:18 pm

AdamCollings wrote:
    AGoodReed wrote:

So interesting Reed. I don't have a grudge against Avatar, but I've been mystified about why it has been so widely loved. Oh wait. LOL! It just occurred to me. I'll bet it was my cursed eyes! While everyone else was enjoying a mindblowing spectacle that took them to another world, I was watching this highly detailed cartoon with actors inserted into it. Like that sidewalk painting sequence from Mary Poppins, but with less singing.

Man, I need to see about getting some kind of transplant...
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike July 23rd 2019, 3:08 pm

AdamCollings wrote:Interesting. I loved Avatar. I went in expecting just an action movie with a few sci-fi trappings. but I got a real proper sci-fi movie with a hint of epic fantasy.

I'm glad you were able to enjoy the movie, Adam.

I'm also in the camp that didn't enjoy the movie, although given the way my opinion of The Phantom Menace has changed over the years it might be time for me to revisit Avatar. -- But I doubt it.

Unlike Paeter, I don't have a problem with the CGI. Nor was I impressed by the art, though it was very detailed. The one technical accomplishment I recognize as significant to the industry is the way the 3D effects inset into the film instead of popping out, creating a real sense of depth.

My problems all stem from the development of the characters and the treatment of the theme. Cameron handled all of these aspects very fluidly and technically; they were well executed. I just don't like what they say. I hate that the military is demonized. I hate that corporate development is demonized. I find the handling of both elements to be little more than a political statement. I hate that the Navi are represented as the ideal of civilization. I hate that the film is essentially Dances With Wolves in space - a film I also loathed. The political statements felt accusatory and smug. The film made me angry and resentful. Cameron has stated that his purpose as a filmmaker is to provoke a reaction in the audience and stimulate their emotions. He succeeded so well that I can't even stomach the film enough to be objectively critical.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings July 23rd 2019, 9:46 pm

Some good thoughts from all you guys.

An over abundance of hype can certainly be damaging. I'm really sorry it had such a deleterious effect for you Reed. I went into the film with pretty low expectations, which is probably one of the reasons I was blown away by it.

Peater, yes you definitely need to trade your eyes in. Yours are weird Razz The CGI on the Navi was so beautifully done I could have sworn they were real living beings. I used to have an image from the movie as a desktop wallpaper on my computer. I'd just stare it and marvel at how not-human, and yet real it appeared. (Maybe I'm the one whose eyes are weird scratch ) I will admit that some of the alien plant life looked a bit fake. Particularly at night. The colours were perhaps a little too vibrant, giving a slight cartoonish appearance.

But the visuals definitely had a big impact on me. Beautiful vistas of lush alien jungles. Floating mountains. And it all looked so crisp. It was a feast for the eyes for me.

regarding the story, I didn't see it as a criticism of militaries in general. General Jerkface was a bully. And someone like that would be drawn to the military. He like sto have power and excercise it, pushing others around. And the others, well, they were following the orders of Jerkface, which brings u sto the complex moral question of when do you follow an order you deem immoral. Where is that line? Perhaps a couple more should have switched sides for beleivability.
    But I was enamoured with the idea of humans being portrayed as the alien invaders. It's an indea that hasn't been done all that often, but has always fascinated me. Posibly because, unfortuantely, I consider it all too likely an outcome.

Also I thought the portrayal of the spiritual ideas was fascinating. the movie aportrayed an alien religion that was real. Quantifably so. There was still room for some interrepation of where does the line exist between science and the supernatural, but I found this especially interesting, both as a fan of big concept science fiction, as well as a person of faith.

One of the biggest things I took from the movie was a sense of wonder, which I love in my sci-fi.

The message was a bit simplistic and probably more political that I realised at the time. I don't know anything about James Cameron's politics, but I suspect it would be quite different from my own.

However.
    Upon a recent re-watch with my son (which we haven't quite finished) some negatives did stick out to me.
    First of all, unobtanium is a stupid name. Stupid stupid stupid.
    Also, I wanted an understanding of why this mineral was so valuable. It makes sense that it would be the thing that justifies the cost of visiting Pandora, and pays for the science, but I wanted more about what humans actually do with the stuff. That could have added a bit of depth and made the villains seem less cartoonishly evil.

I think the corprate leader guy was a cartonnish cardboard villain. I don't like it when business people are portrayed as stupid, shortsighted or evil just because they're business people. Sadly, there are people in business who care more about money than they do about people, but this character was not handled with any subtlty or depth. The worst offence was when Grace explains the complex interactions of the alien trees as a big neural net, and the guys response was "What have you people been smoking?" How can someone that stupid shortsighted have risen to his position?
    So, I guess, I am seeing some of the things that really bothered you, Winston. They just didn't bother me as much because they were overshadowed by the apects I loved.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is March 28th 2024, 4:54 am