Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Settler's of Catan

Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7

Settler's of Catan Empty Settler's of Catan

Post  Hackmodford January 19th 2011, 5:51 pm

Are there any other Settler's of Catan Board Game fans out there?
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Settler's of Catan Empty Re: Settler's of Catan

Post  Nathan James Norman January 19th 2011, 9:06 pm

Yes indeed.

My good friends gave my wife and I a copy of "Settlers of Cannan". It's a Bible-version of the game set in the Promised Land (hence no moving tiles). It introduces a few unique elements into the game, however, and is surprisingly fun for a cheap Christian knock-off.

I like the original too, though!
    Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Post  Hackmodford January 20th 2011, 10:12 am

I did see that version. But it didn't look different enough to warrant me buying it. Can you give more details on the differences?

Also my favorite addon for the game has to be the fishermen of catan.
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Post  Nathan James Norman January 20th 2011, 2:16 pm

Wikipedia has some good detail on this, which I reproduce below:

Differences from Settlers of Catan
    The most striking difference in the Settlers of Canaan is its fixed playing board. Both the hexagonal land tiles and the numerical disks are printed directly on the board. Also, one land tile, called the "copper hex" (equivalent to the "gold hex" in some expansions to Settlers of Catan), allows bordering players to select which resource(s) it produces. Trading ports are scattered along the western coastline, which borders the Great Sea, as well as around the shoreline of the Sea of Chinnereth, which is surrounded by land tiles.

In Settlers of Canaan, the "robber" is called the "plague." Moving the robber is referred to as "cleansing the plague" from a particular land tile, and it has the same effect as in Settlers of Catan.

The object of the game is to amass 12 victory points. Current scores are indicated by color-coded markers on the eastern side of the playing board. Victory points are earned by building settlements and cities, by building the longest road, by amassing the most priests (equivalent to soldiers in Settlers of Catan), and by obtaining the "King's Blessing."

If ties exist in competition for either the longest road or the most priests, then the corresponding 2-point bonus is removed from play.

The game ends when a player reaches 12 victory points or when the "Wall of Jerusalem" is completed, whichever comes first. In the latter scenario, the player with the most victory points wins the game. (If two or more players tie, then the winner is the player who has contributed more stones to the Wall of Jerusalem. If a tie exists in this tiebreaker, then gameplay continues until a clear winner emerges.)

The Wall of Jerusalem and the King's Blessing
    A player may build a "stone for Jerusalem," at a cost of one clay resource (which is, somewhat confusingly, called a "stone" resource) and one ore resource, during his or her turn under one of two conditions:

The player owns a settlement or city on the southern border of Canaan (west of the Salt Sea), or
    Another player owns a settlement or city on the southern border of Canaan, and the current player owns a settlement or city that is connected to the other player's settlement or city by a (multiplayer) trade route.
    When a player builds a stone for Jerusalem, this stone is immediately placed in the Wall of Jerusalem, an area in the desert south of Canaan which can hold up to 28 such stones. If a player builds a stone using a multiplayer trade route, then that player must pay one resource card of his or her choice to the owner of the trade route's final settlement or city.

The player who has contributed the most stones to the Wall of Jerusalem earns the King's Blessing, which is worth 2 victory points and gives that player the privilege of trading a resource of his or her choice at a 2:1 ratio. (This trade benefit is the same as that of the Merchant in Cities and Knights of Catan.) If another player later ties for the most stones in the Wall of Jerusalem, then the King's Blessing is removed from play until someone achieves a singular majority.

Every time a 7 is rolled during gameplay, a black stone is added to the Wall of Jerusalem. These stones do not affect the King's Blessing, but they may help bring the end of the game before anyone reaches the required 12 victory points.
    Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Post  Hackmodford January 20th 2011, 2:18 pm

That first part just ruins it for me... I actually like the randomness of the board.

Here's an interesting two player variant I found that I have yet to try...
    http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/17154/intimate-settlers-pdf
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Post  Nathan James Norman January 20th 2011, 2:31 pm

I thought it would be a problem for me too . . . but somehow it works quite well as a variant.

I'll have to give it a whirrl when I get one of the expansions!

litera9
    litera9

Activity : 48
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  litera9 January 20th 2011, 3:38 pm

I play occasionally. I enjoy it, but don't put a lot of time into it. I find it to be more strategic than Monopoly, and less violent than Risk. It's fun, especially since it seems everyone I know at church love this game.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is March 28th 2024, 5:48 am