Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

5 posters

A (Not Completely) Negative Review Of Spirit Blade

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

A (Not Completely) Negative Review Of Spirit Blade Empty A (Not Completely) Negative Review Of Spirit Blade

Post  Paeter August 20th 2012, 11:06 pm

Oh well. Can't please them all.

(Not Completely) Negative Review
    Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7

A (Not Completely) Negative Review Of Spirit Blade Empty Re: A (Not Completely) Negative Review Of Spirit Blade

Post  Hackmodford August 21st 2012, 11:50 am

I agree with the musical bits but am not sure why he didnt like the sound design. Totally unfair to review something he didn't completely listen to IMHO...
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

A (Not Completely) Negative Review Of Spirit Blade Empty Re: A (Not Completely) Negative Review Of Spirit Blade

Post  DNArington August 22nd 2012, 11:07 am

When I first started listening to SB I thought it was pretty weird having a musical, Sci-fi audiodrama, but you won me over before the end! Smile

Hackmodford wrote:Totally unfair to review something he didn't completely listen to IMHO...

I agree, if you are going to properly review somthing you must finish it in it's entirety.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter August 22nd 2012, 1:16 pm

DNArington wrote:When I first started listening to SB I thought it was pretty weird having a musical, Sci-fi audiodrama, but you won me over before the end! Smile

Glad to hear! I've know for awhile that the music aspect is a bit of a stumbling block for a good number of people. As I look back, I still like the idea of blending sci-fi action with dark electro-industrial music performances. When I set out to create Spirit Blade Productions, I wanted to immediately establish the expectation of wild, experimental creativity, in contrast to the norm in Christian art, "Christianized" knock-offs. So in that regard I think I succeeded, as the Spirit Blade package as a whole is pretty far outside the box.

But having said that, I would still go back in time if I could and just do the "sci-fi/electro-industrial/action-musical" thing with one short project, rather than commit to a trilogy's worth that serves as the flagship of the company.

I've been considering the idea of going back, sometime after SB3 is released, and creating a "digital only" release of the trilogy that removes the songs, making subtle changes in editing and dialogue to account for the changes, and offering those alongside the existing versions. I would wager that versions without the songs will stand the test of time better, as musical scoring doesn't sound dated as quickly as popular music. But we'll see. One project at a time. (Or in my case, 10 projects at a time.) Wink
    Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  Hackmodford August 22nd 2012, 1:45 pm

That's an interesting idea... as much as I'd like to see/hear it. It almost feels like you're not sticking to your guns if you do something like that. Maybe the same mixed feelings of the star wars special editions?
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy August 22nd 2012, 2:36 pm

Hackmodford wrote:I agree with the musical bits but am not sure why he didnt like the sound design.

Actually the sound design is something he praised. I don't know much about production craft, so maybe I'm wrong on the terminology but I think the thing he was complaining about is mostly the sound editing.

DNArington wrote:When I first started listening to SB I thought it was pretty weird having a musical, Sci-fi audiodrama, but you won me over before the end!

Same here. At first I thought "Huh??" Then I came to appreciate the musical interludes for their uniqueness as well as the music itself. I like the genre-bending for the novelty if nothing else.

Hackmodford wrote:That's an interesting idea... as much as I'd like to see/hear it. It almost feels like you're not sticking to your guns if you do something like that. Maybe the same mixed feelings of the star wars special editions?

This is exactly my thoughts when I read your post, Paeter. "Uh, oh. Paeter's going 'George Lucas' on us." Smile While I liked the special edition Star Wars, and there were many aspects that were indeed better, I bet there would inevitably be a "Han shot first" moment somewhere in there. Maybe not for me, but for someone. I would recommend just focusing on the future of SBP, not the past and looking back. There are dated things with all old movies I love, but I still love them for what they are.

Paeter wrote:When I set out to create Spirit Blade Productions, I wanted to immediately establish the expectation of wild, experimental creativity, in contrast to the norm in Christian art, "Christianized" knock-offs.

I agree with this and is one of the things I like the most about Spirit Blade... the company and the community. Keep pushing things creatively, Paeter!
    tmorrill
    tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Post  tmorrill August 22nd 2012, 7:35 pm

For me Spirit Blade had to grow on me a bit.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of fantasy type fiction, so the Spirit World type stuff took a bit longer to grow on me. I always thought the voice work was very talented and I found the Christian-moments (Merick's conversion and conversations with Isaac both when he was alive and dead) to be amazing and more than made up for any other misgivings I had about the drama.

The music I fell in love with right from the start and have listened to parts of it at work when I'm in the kitchen by myself.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is March 28th 2024, 6:05 pm