Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

5 posters

Comfort Geeking

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Comfort Geeking Empty Comfort Geeking

Post  Paeter April 2nd 2015, 7:00 pm

Tired. Slight headache. Didn't really feel like posting and then I thought of this question:

When you're tired, bummed or just need to get your mind on something else, what kind of geekery do you turn to, and why?

I should add that I'm not advocating "escaping" to geek entertainment instead of dealing with our hurts and stresses with Jesus and in scripture. But sometimes its just useful to let your mood get lifted or your mind distracted by geekery.

For me, I hit video games by default. Strategic/thinky games if I'm plenty awake, intense/actiony stuff if I'm tired. Last night I wanted to unwind and was really tired but refused to go to bed, so I played Pillars Of Eternity (PC tactical dungeon crawler) and then when I started to zone out I jumped to Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2 (PS2 Action RPG) for a few minutes at a time until I was awake enough to go back and do some deep thinking. Back and forth, back and forth. All the while Holly (my wife) was shaking her head and laughing at me as she worked at her computer across the hall.

"Sleep is a thief", I told her.
    CreatorsPixels
    CreatorsPixels

Activity : 236
    Geek-Cred : 8

Comfort Geeking Empty Re: Comfort Geeking

Post  CreatorsPixels April 2nd 2015, 10:08 pm

I tend to be the same way. Sometimes I just like to get everyone else in bed and stay up all night on whatever recent video game I got. No responsibility and problems for a few hours can really help relieve the stress and get me back on track. I used to read, but now I'm old or something and I just end up falling asleep in no time flat!
    Jeffrywith1e
    Jeffrywith1e

Activity : 12
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  Jeffrywith1e April 4th 2015, 3:00 pm

Ponyo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bskgNOXbdiE

or

My Neighbor Totoro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuLX50_5UAI

mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

Post  mikel.withers April 5th 2015, 8:39 am

Apparently for me, it is Empire: Total War. (I usually do video games as well)
    I was looking at my Steam account the other day and I have over 900 hours on that game. It isn't an 'active' type of thought process that goes into it, so I guess I just start it up and zone out. I have bad anxiety so I really have to manage my stress levels carefully.
    The other thing I do, when I have the resources, is paint miniatures (Warhammer to be precise). There is something about the focus that I need in order to get the detail work that suppresses my subconscious. ...I embarrassed my wife at the "beauty salon" yesterday by getting excited about a nail polish color. I now own more nail polish than my wife, because I think it works well in a fantasy setting.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter April 8th 2015, 3:55 pm

Jeffrywith1e wrote:Ponyo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bskgNOXbdiE

Now THAT is how you dub anime! (Unless of course they somehow got Liam Neeson to say "hu-uah", "mhm" or "Oah?")
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter April 8th 2015, 3:56 pm

mikel.withers wrote:I embarrassed my wife at the "beauty salon" yesterday by getting excited about a nail polish color. I now own more nail polish than my wife, because I think it works well in a fantasy setting.
    lol! Oh my gosh, that's awesome!!
    Changer4
    Changer4

Activity : 63
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  Changer4 April 13th 2015, 4:44 pm

Paeter wrote:
    mikel.withers wrote:I embarrassed my wife at the "beauty salon" yesterday by getting excited about a nail polish color. I now own more nail polish than my wife, because I think it works well in a fantasy setting.
    lol! Oh my gosh, that's awesome!!
    Is that a Goku smiley face?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is March 28th 2024, 6:52 am