Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

"Beware the Death Angel" Episode 44

Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

"Beware the Death Angel" Episode 44 Empty "Beware the Death Angel" Episode 44

Post  Nathan James Norman November 10th 2015, 6:23 am

We have a late entry into our Halloween episodes. "Beware the Death Angel" by Jason Brannon was a personal selection of our resident composer Kerry Kelso.

Kerry is also starting to craft themes for our stories and it really helps Jason's story "pop" and "sparkle"*

http://www.untoldpodcast.com/home/episode-44-beware-the-death-angel bounce

"Beware the Death Angel" Episode 44 2496388

Discussion Questions:
    1. While this was written by a Christian, how does it reflect a Christian worldview?
    2. What makes this story scary?
    3. Does Wallace bear any responsibility for what happened?

*Sparkle in a horrifying way. Not in a "Twilight" vampire fashion.
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

"Beware the Death Angel" Episode 44 Empty Re: "Beware the Death Angel" Episode 44

Post  mikel.withers November 10th 2015, 3:34 pm

Interesting story, definitely worth a listen.

1: well, it certainly has a "tenth plague" sort of vibe to it. However, beyond that are the elements of blood and death being the price of living where/how we do. There is also an element of how simple the solution is, whilst remaining deadly important.
    2: I may both date myself, and give away some of my taste in music by saying so, but: there is an element of Creeping Death that is horrifying in its certainty. Wallace can look for an answer to it, but the inevitable nature of the Death Angel just means that his horror will continue.
    3: I would say that he does. He was warned, and given time to alleviate the threat. (if a pound of raw hamburger meat will suffice, why not a hand?) His stubborn disbelief and selfish nature consigned his wife to death.
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

"Beware the Death Angel" Episode 44 Empty Re: "Beware the Death Angel" Episode 44

Post  Nathan James Norman December 1st 2015, 9:02 pm

mikel.withers wrote:Interesting story, definitely worth a listen.

2: I may both date myself, and give away some of my taste in music by saying so, but: there is an element of Creeping Death that is horrifying in its certainty. Wallace can look for an answer to it, but the inevitable nature of the Death Angel just means that his horror will continue.

Oh man!
    Oh man!

I don't know why, but you pointing this out just made the story even creepier to me.
    JesseRice17

Activity : 2
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  JesseRice17 December 1st 2015, 9:08 pm

I 'enjoyed' this episode (as much as one can enjoy a monster hunt), though I was somewhat disappointed by the ending.
    Spoiler:
    Other than that, it was quite a chilling, thought-provoking episode. And I'm not generally a fan of horror.
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Post  Nathan James Norman December 1st 2015, 9:30 pm

So I'm issuing a genuine spoiler alert from here on out! Go listen to the story before you read the discussion!!!!

JesseRice17 wrote:I 'enjoyed' this episode (as much as one can enjoy a monster hunt), though I was somewhat disappointed by the ending.

So I'm curious? Did Wallace's survival add to the disturbing feeling of the story itself for you?
    Or did his survival just not ring true for you?

(I have to confess, I was shocked that he survived as well)
    JesseRice17

Activity : 2
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  JesseRice17 December 2nd 2015, 10:45 am

Nathan James Norman wrote:So I'm issuing a genuine spoiler alert from here on out! Go listen to the story before you read the discussion!!!!

So I'm curious? Did Wallace's survival add to the disturbing feeling of the story itself for you?
    Or did his survival just not ring true for you?

(I have to confess, I was shocked that he survived as well)
    The story became a bit more disturbing because Wallace lived (he had to live with the fact that he was semi-responsible for his wife's death). However, I just felt like the threat of the creature was diminished by the fact that it only took one. If all it takes to appease was a gift of meat, then why don't people just go about with their business and keep a pack of hamburger in their pocket? Just throw the meat at the monster and he leaves you be. I get that the rules were laid out at the beginning in that way, but it just felt a little 'off' to have him survive.
    Similarly, I suppose, if everyone in the town knew of the threat of the Death Angel, why did they wait until the last day to get their offering? Just like ordering presents early, I think most people would be prepared if they lived in the town for long enough, especially since this was a matter of life and death. Of course, it served as a good means of exposition for the storyteller, so I'm not too harsh on this one.
    Really, I felt it was a good story even with these few nitpicks. It was well written and well narrated and well composed. Definitely better than that Cat story. Wink
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Post  Nathan James Norman December 2nd 2015, 2:05 pm

JesseRice17 wrote:Definitely better than that Cat story. Wink

First of all, I will defend that Cat story to my grave.

You brought out strong emotions in people (and different emotions in different people)!
    That is something most authors dream to do and never fully achieve!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is March 28th 2024, 8:50 am