Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Please Stand By Trailer

AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Please Stand By Trailer Empty Please Stand By Trailer

Post  AdamCollings December 5th 2017, 5:55 am

Ooh. Star Trek and autism. I have to see this movie.

But the biggest shock of all. Dakota Fanning is grown up now??????? When did that happen?
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Please Stand By Trailer Empty Re: Please Stand By Trailer

Post  Paeter December 5th 2017, 8:29 am

Dude, this is SO on my review calendar! Wow! Looks great!

Hope Dakota Fanning continues to come into her own as an adult actor. It makes so much sense that she would find herself doing these kinds of serious, emotional roles. She was always so hauntingly "adult" as a child actor.
    fxruizx
    fxruizx

Activity : 169
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  fxruizx December 5th 2017, 3:23 pm

This looks soo good, will definitely be sharing this with my wife!
    Thanks Adam!
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1082
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  jorowi December 6th 2017, 10:52 am

Trekkers and Trekkies everywhere should go see this.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings March 9th 2018, 5:44 pm

So it seems we have one of those horribly messy situations where the US rights for this film are with one company, and the international rights are with another. I hate it when that happens. It's so last century. This explains why all online viewing options are geo-locked to USA.

Anyway, I have emailed Embankment Films and asked them what options might be coming in the future. I hold on to hope that I may get to see this movie some day.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter March 12th 2018, 8:54 am

AdamCollings wrote:So it seems we have one of those horribly messy situations where the US rights for this film are with one company, and the international rights are with another.  I hate it when that happens. It's so last century. This explains why all online viewing options are geo-locked to USA.

Anyway, I have emailed Embankment Films and asked them what options might be coming in the future. I hold on to hope that I may get to see this movie some day.

Oh, that's lame that you can't see it yet! You were the one that TOLD us about this movie! Argh!!
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1082
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  jorowi March 12th 2018, 9:48 am

It didn't even play locally. I thought for sure the theater downtown would have it because they show a lot of limited release films.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings March 7th 2019, 4:43 am

Some good news.
    I was scrolling throuh youTube today, and an add came up to buy this movie. I guess the international rights holder finally stopped sitting on their hands.
    So the movie is now sitting in my youTube library!
    Only thing is, I may not be able to watch it until next week as we're off to church camp for the long weekend. (maybe I can squeeze it in after I finish packing)
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter March 7th 2019, 11:49 am

I'd love to hear your reaction whenever you get the chance to watch it!
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings March 7th 2019, 4:28 pm

I ended up watching it last night. I needed some down time. My response was very positive and echoes all that I remember of your review. The movie did a great job of getting into the point of view of an autistic person. And while her autism shows itself differently than my son, it felt believable. (They say if you've met one autistic person, you've met one autistic person.) I like how the film highlighted not only the social and emotional difficultues that autism brought Wendy, but also her gifting at creative writing. That scene where they try to stump her with Star Trek trivia, that's totally my son, except it would be the release dates of movies and video games.

I enjoyed all of the Star Trek elements. The story was respectful of Trek, and what it means to fans, and was clearly written out of a love of the material itself. It didn't make any obvious blunders and paid attention to detail, even getting Worf's rank correct for his time on Deep Space Nine. I would have liked if they'd dug a little deeper with a little more Trek, actually. The only reference we got outside the original series was that Worf reference. It does make sense that she'd have a special attachment to Spock Not only is he one of the most beloved characters in the franchise, his struggle with human emotion makes him someone that Wendy can relate to. I do like how Wendy was painted as a more rounded individual. Her obsession with Star Trek was not the only aspect of her character. Music meant something to her, and she longed to meet her niece. I also like how the film portrayed a number of other people as Star Trek fans, showing we're not all in one box. A teenage boy, a middle-aged police officer. Love of a franchise like Star Trek crosses all borders.

The carer, Scotty, was an interesting character. There was a moment that didn't ring true for me. In the car, talking to her son, she says, "I know he's the hero of Star Wars, but who is this Kirk?" At other points in the movie, she specifically calls out Star TREK. And frankly, it's her job to know. My son's psychologist explained to us that much of his professional development is not learning about psychology, it's researching Star Wars, and watching youTubers like DanTDM. He needs to be able to speak the language of the kids he works with. Scotty would make it her business to have a reasonable understanding of Star Trek. So her sudden idiocy in that scene didn't play for me.

As you pointed out in your review, there were important life lessons learned by Wendy, but also for her sister, allowing them to meet in the middle, finally. And I loved the climatic moment in the mail room. That was very satisfying.

So in all, a great human drama which is only enhanced by the geek appeal.

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter March 8th 2019, 10:26 am

AdamCollings wrote: watching youTubers like DanTDM.

AAAAAAAAGH!
    We have his voice echoing in our home way too often.

Glad you liked it, Adam!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is March 28th 2024, 6:46 am