Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

5 posters

Need some help with a story I'm writing...

AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 792
    Geek-Cred : 4

Need some help with a story I'm writing... Empty Need some help with a story I'm writing...

Post  AGoodReed January 23rd 2019, 10:53 pm

I need some help brainstorming something for a short story I'm writing.

Okay, so imagine there's a very shy girl in an American (or English, or Australian) high school. She and her mother moved to town from Canada. Her father is out of the picture, but no one knows why, and she never talks to anyone about it. She dresses plainly, never wearing anything fashionable or eye-catching. She doesn't participate in after-school activities and seems to have no friends. She keeps up with her classes and gets fine grades, but she fears getting involved with anything social.

Now, what sorts of rumors would start about a girl like that among her fellow students, do you think?
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 7913
    Geek-Cred : 58

Need some help with a story I'm writing... Empty Re: Need some help with a story I'm writing...

Post  Paeter January 24th 2019, 10:14 am

I'm thinking something would start up about her imagined involvement with some religion or other cultural group. (She's a quaker, she's been home schooled and forced to stay indoors before this year, etc.)

www.spiritblade.com
    JDMTheGreat
    JDMTheGreat

Activity : 61
    Geek-Cred : 0

Need some help with a story I'm writing... Empty Re: Need some help with a story I'm writing...

Post  JDMTheGreat March 24th 2021, 12:26 pm

Depends on the culture of the students making the rumors. And that can very widely between American schools and British and Australian schools, heck schools very widely in America alone. What are the students like in this school?
    Peace and War
    Peace and War

Activity : 9

Post  Peace and War March 29th 2022, 8:29 pm

AGoodReed wrote:I need some help brainstorming something for a short story I'm writing.

Okay, so imagine there's a very shy girl in an American (or English, or Australian) high school. She and her mother moved to town from Canada. Her father is out of the picture, but no one knows why, and she never talks to anyone about it. She dresses plainly, never wearing anything fashionable or eye-catching. She doesn't participate in after-school activities and seems to have no friends. She keeps up with her classes and gets fine grades, but she fears getting involved with anything social.

Now, what sorts of rumors would start about a girl like that among her fellow students, do you think?

Depends on how light or dark you want it. Realistically, it'd sadly be really, really dark and unflattering and uncharitable. But since I'm not one to sacrifice common decency for realism, I'd keep their speculations G to at best PG. But that's just me. Don't know what genre or other operative ideas are going on in your story so mileage of my words may vary.
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1013
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  jorowi March 30th 2022, 7:29 am

She's an alien.

Twitter
    Instagram
    Peace and War
    Peace and War

Post  Peace and War March 30th 2022, 8:15 am

jorowi wrote:She's an alien.
    Is that a thought they'd have or is that also really the case for this story?
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1013
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  jorowi March 30th 2022, 10:43 am

Peace and War wrote:

He was asking what rumors would there be. Whether or not she really is an alien would be up to the author.

Twitter
    Instagram
    Peace and War
    Peace and War

Post  Peace and War March 30th 2022, 10:55 am

jorowi wrote:
    Peace and War wrote:

He was asking what rumors would there be. Whether or not she really is an alien would be up to the author.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is December 1st 2022, 7:55 pm