Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

No More Batfleck (for now?)

AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 834
    Geek-Cred : 4

No More Batfleck (for now?) Empty No More Batfleck (for now?)

Post  AGoodReed January 31st 2019, 9:11 pm

https://deadline.com/2019/01/the-batman-june-2021-release-date-ben-affleck-not-starring-1202545821/

"EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros. is dating their next rendition of Batman for June 25, 2021. This is the one that Matt Reeves has been attached to as writer and director. Ben Affleck, we hear, will not be donning the Dark Knight’s tights after playing the Caped Crusader in Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, Suicide Squad and Justice League and that’s because this movie will focus on a younger Bruce Wayne."

Affleck gave it his blessing on Twitter.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

No More Batfleck (for now?) Empty Re: No More Batfleck (for now?)

Post  Paeter February 5th 2019, 10:02 am

Yeah, it will be interesting what they do after this movie. They could get back to Affleck, or continue on with the new guy. I think either would be accepted by audiences as long as the new guy is good casting.

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings February 5th 2019, 6:11 pm

I'm feeling pretty apathetic at this point. We've recently had a great stand-alone trilogy about a younger Batman. My question is, do we really need this?
    Marvel is bringing things to a climax. DC is going off in a totally different direction now.
    Maybe superhero movies just need to take a break for a while.
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Post  AGoodReed February 5th 2019, 6:18 pm

AdamCollings wrote:Maybe superhero movies just need to take a break for a while.

I think Superman and Batman need a break from the big screen, live action arena. Probably the main Avengers, too. Take a few years to focus on Wonder Woman, Birds of Prey, Captain SHAZAM, etc. Then, when it's time for a new Batman or Superman, it'll be a bigger deal. Not sure how many years that will take, though.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter February 6th 2019, 10:53 am

AGoodReed wrote:
    AdamCollings wrote:Maybe superhero movies just need to take a break for a while.

I think Superman and Batman need a break from the big screen, live action arena. Probably the main Avengers, too. Take a few years to focus on Wonder Woman, Birds of Prey, Captain SHAZAM, etc. Then, when it's time for a new Batman or Superman, it'll be a bigger deal. Not sure how many years that will take, though.

I feel like I've mentioned this before, but what I really want to see as the current cycle of DC movies winds down, is a Justice Society movie. It would be a World War 2 period piece featuring the golden age Flash and Green Lantern, Dr. Fate, The Spectre and a couple other golden age heroes. In my dream (and this is a big one given the current climate and popular tastes) it would be a return to the serious tone of Man Of Steel (or the tone of Wonder Woman would be great, too) and would also serve as a stealth reboot of the DC cinematic universe.

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings February 6th 2019, 6:24 pm

That sounds like a good way to launch something new. I'm not overly familiar with a lot of those characters, but I love period settings It could gradually move toward present day, and the Justice Society could serve as mentors and advisors to the newer younger heroes as they arrive on the scene.

Along slightly similar lines, I've been thinking lately, in particular, about Superman, because when it comes down to it, he's the character I most care about.
    Since Man of Steel was pretty much the pinnacle of perfection, according to my taste, of a Superman story for an adult audience, it seems there's nowhere to go from here but down. Fro the whispers I've read, if there ever is a MOS2, it's gonna be the Justice League version of Superman.

So, assuming that some day, another big screen Superman makes an appearance, what would I want from it?
    My idea is to go back to the roots. The first superman story was published in 1938. It was set in that present day. So, why not do a period Superman, where the character first reveals himself to the world in 1938, rather than re-framing him in our present day. A lot of mythology has been added to the character since those early days, which you could still use, but set it back then. We'd have a superman who grew up hearing about the horrors of World War 1, as a child. How might that have impacted him. He'd be living in a more innocent, more naive time, which might help make his disguise a littler easier to swallow. The idea of working for a newspaper would no longer feel outdated. The impending threat of World War 2 would be brewing, and Superman would have to figure out how that affects him. (does he see himself siding with a particular nation, such as the one in which he grew up, or as an outside "citizen of the planet") It's the kind of Superman we've never seen on the big screen before.

It would even be interesting to follow that Superman through the years, seeing people he loves (like Lois) grow old and die. Watching over their grandchildren. What would the present-day world be like, if Superman had been with us for the last 81 years?

And now I'm wondering if our two ideas could be combined? I imagine that during the golden age, Superman was a contemporary of the Justice Society.
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Post  AGoodReed February 6th 2019, 9:21 pm

AdamCollings wrote:My idea is to go back to the roots. The first superman story was published in 1938. It was set in that present day. So, why not do a period Superman, where the character first reveals himself to the world in 1938, rather than re-framing him in our present day. A lot of mythology has been added to the character since those early days, which you could still use, but set it back then. We'd have a superman who grew up hearing about the horrors of World War 1, as a child. How might that have impacted him. He'd be living in a more innocent, more naive time, which might help make his disguise a littler easier to swallow. The idea of working for a newspaper would no longer feel outdated. The impending threat of World War 2 would be brewing, and Superman would have to figure out how that affects him. (does he see himself siding with a particular nation, such as the one in which he grew up, or as an outside "citizen of the planet") It's the kind of Superman we've never seen on the big screen before.

It would even be interesting to follow that Superman through the years, seeing people he loves (like Lois) grow old and die. Watching over their grandchildren. What would the present-day world be like, if Superman had been with us for the last 81 years?

That is brilliant. I doubt it would sell well to the modern masses, though.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter February 7th 2019, 11:10 am

AdamCollings wrote:
    And now I'm wondering if our two ideas could be combined? I imagine that during the golden age, Superman was a contemporary of the Justice Society.

Totally, but in response to Reed's comment, this would be a tough sell to the masses, unless they first do standard Superman movies to death.

I'd be interested, though! They could even start there and then reboot to a younger Superman, and then bring the Supermans together for Crisis On Infinite Earths!

Okay, now we are officially dreaming...

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings February 7th 2019, 4:56 pm

Paeter wrote:Okay, now we are officially dreaming...

We're geeks. That's what we do.
    Laughing

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 19th 2024, 10:38 am