Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

"Your Favorite Era Of Comics" OR "Ideal JLA line-up"

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

"Your Favorite Era Of Comics" OR "Ideal JLA line-up" Empty "Your Favorite Era Of Comics" OR "Ideal JLA line-up"

Post  Paeter March 5th 2019, 10:23 am

Getting back into more frequent installments of my Essential Issues youtube series has been a great excuse to go back and re-read an entire era of DC comics. It's been a mixed bag, with some things not holding up very well. But I've been really pleased with how some books really HAVE held up. The Flash (Mark Waid run) in particular so far has really held up well for me.

I'm also getting back into the Kyle Rayner era of Green Lantern, which I'm appreciating in all-new ways (both the things going for it and the controversy over what was done to Hal Jordan). Though I have to say that, reading Kyle's early issues back to back instead of a month apart only emphasizes how shallow and transient his dating relationships were. He should have been single and mourning Alex for MUCH longer.

I haven't gotten far enough along yet to be sure, but I suspect my favorite era of comics will be those that fell in the mid-late 2000's. I think that's the time period where Geoff Johns was writing more books rather than overseeing them. It was a time where old heroes were given new life with stronger internal motives, and cheesy villains became serious threats.

Do any of you have a favorite era of comics? DC, Marvel, indie, whatever.

If not, who would you pick as the line-up for a rebooted Justice League comic? Although I liked JLA Year One, the line-up definitely isn't my favorite.

AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

"Your Favorite Era Of Comics" OR "Ideal JLA line-up" Empty Re: "Your Favorite Era Of Comics" OR "Ideal JLA line-up"

Post  AdamCollings March 5th 2019, 5:07 pm

For me, the Justice League has to start with Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. I'd add to the mix, The Flash and Green Lantern.
    Then maybe Martian Manhunter or Aquaman, but by then the group is getting pretty big. How many is too many, I wonder.
    So, a pretty classic line-up for me, I guess.

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

"Your Favorite Era Of Comics" OR "Ideal JLA line-up" Empty Re: "Your Favorite Era Of Comics" OR "Ideal JLA line-up"

Post  Paeter March 6th 2019, 10:50 am

AdamCollings wrote: How many is too many, I wonder.

That's open for debate, for sure! I tend to like who I like and would prefer a deeper focus on them, but if you go the Justice League Unlimited route you can get a revolving door that introduces you to the wider DCU, which has some benefits, too!

I'd personally just want to avoid the middle ground of a JLA half-composed of the same fourth-tier characters month after month.
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 834
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  AGoodReed March 6th 2019, 8:05 pm

My favorite era of comics is whatever period featured Spider-Man and Mary Jane as a married couple. I'm not sure when they got married, but I started reading Spider-Man comics regularly sometime afterwards. I loved them together. Maybe it felt like vindication for the nerd getting the hot girl. But I loved how they subverted their respective stereotypes. Peter Parker was a science geek who had trouble with the ladies and was always picked on by the popular kids, but secretly, he was a butt-kicking superhero all the kids loved. On the flip side, Mary Jane was a gorgeous supermodel/actress all the boys wanted to be with, but she often battled insecurities (I think she came from a broken home) and ended up choosing "Puny Parker" over all the cool dudes she could've had.

They were an incredible couple, especially whenever they came out the other end of some period of strife. I was bummed when I heard that the Marvel higher-ups preferred an unmarried Peter Parker and started toying with killing MJ off or divorcing the couple. When they finally went through with "One More Day," that was pretty much the end of the mainstream Spider-Man for me.

My favorite Justice League combination is probably the one from the Justice League animated series - Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, and Hawkgirl. Of course, it's also the one I can consistently remember. I think I'd prefer Kyle Rayner as Green Lantern, though. Hope that doesn't make me racist.

I do like the idea of a small-ish league with a couple of novice heroes thrown in to learn from the veterans. That's one thing I'm interested in seeing in that new Bruce Timm animated movie where Miss Martian is part of the league.

Now I'm trying to think of my favorite Avengers and X-Men line-ups. So many characters can be switched around as parts of these teams.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is March 28th 2024, 11:21 am