Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Terminator: Dark Fate Trailer

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 7483
    Geek-Cred : 58

Terminator: Dark Fate Trailer Empty Terminator: Dark Fate Trailer

Post  Paeter on May 24th 2019, 10:38 am

Some of the CG morphing effects look straight up cheap to me. But much of it I'm still very open to! I just hope it can still play nice with the continuity of the other movies. I've heard it ignores every movie after T2, but I'm hoping it can also be interpreted as taking place long after the events of Genysis (sp?). Yes, these movies are a mess, but I've enjoyed most of them to some degree and appreciate franchises with expansive continuity.

What do you guys think after seeing this?

www.spiritblade.com
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 947
    Geek-Cred : 39

Terminator: Dark Fate Trailer Empty Re: Terminator: Dark Fate Trailer

Post  mindspike on May 24th 2019, 11:17 am

Hey, isn't The Terminator franchise your son's favorite? I think I heard that somewhere......

I've always enjoyed Linda Hamilton in the role of Sarah Conner, and I'm really excited to see what they're going to do with this one. Sarah was so pathologically driven in T2 that she became a shell of a person whose whole existence centered around her son. Since that movie ended with her character beginning to heal, I'm very curious to see what her current motivation is. Plus, she's in her 60s and still carrying that 80s action hero vibe that I loved in the Expendables. As Carrie Fisher once noted, women in their 50s and 60s don't very often get action hero roles. Unless you're Jamie Lee Curtis......

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on May 24th 2019, 3:23 pm

mindspike wrote:Hey, isn't The Terminator franchise your son's favorite? I think I heard that somewhere......

Lol of the day! Thank you for that.

mindspike wrote:
    I've always enjoyed Linda Hamilton in the role of Sarah Conner, and I'm really excited to see what they're going to do with this one. Sarah was so pathologically driven in T2 that she became a shell of a person whose whole existence centered around her son. Since that movie ended with her character beginning to heal, I'm very curious to see what her current motivation is. Plus, she's in her 60s and still carrying that 80s action hero vibe that I loved in the Expendables. As Carrie Fisher once noted, women in their 50s and 60s don't very often get action hero roles. Unless you're Jamie Lee Curtis......

Wow, you and I don't always have the same tastes and sentiments, but this time you have tapped into my psyche and produced words expressing my very heart. An emphatic "DITTO" to everything you just typed.

www.spiritblade.com
    Changer4
    Changer4

Activity : 63
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  Changer4 on May 27th 2019, 9:35 pm

Really looking forward to this one, as I just got into the Terminator franchise a few months ago. Can't believe I spent two decades without have seen Terminator 2. I haven't watched anything later than it though, mostly based off of the negative hearsay, so to me it will be like Linda Hamilton never left.
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Post  DNArington on May 28th 2019, 3:49 pm

The Terminator is one of my favorite franchises (because I'm Paeter's son from the future...Plot Twist!), and I've liked aspects of even the worst of the series, so I'm kinda' bummed that they seem to be erasing all of that. I do find it interesting that even though they want to sweep those movies under the rug, they are still using similar ideas to those, like the Terminator that thinks they're human (like in Salvation) and a liquid metal over exoskeleton terminator (like in Rise of the Machines) and the old Arnold terminator (like in Genisys.)

The trailer looks cool to me. I love that Linda Hamilton is back and that James Cameron is back, but I do wonder how involved he was considering he's also working on the next 3 Avatar movies. I liked Gabriel Luna as Ghost Rider and he looks cool here, and I'm glad Arnold Schwarzenegger is back, but I have no idea how that is possible unless another one came back in time again and then got old.

I'm excited for this! I hope this is finally the one that relaunches the franchise like they have been trying to do!
    Changer4
    Changer4

Activity : 63
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  Changer4 on May 28th 2019, 4:08 pm

Enough people here like the other Terminators that I’m starting to think I should give them a chance.
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 947
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike on May 28th 2019, 6:31 pm

The thing about Terminator as a franchise is that even though T1 and T2 directly connected with each other, the other films don't really connect to any of the characters or key plot points of any other film. I really think they are best viewed as standalone films that share similar themes and elements. Even the character of John Conner is wildly different depending on which film you watch. Their oscillation overthruster must be creating faulty exchanges of virtual photons.

As much as I loved T1 and T2, for me the crowning achievement of the franchise is the two seasons of the Terminator TV show, the Sarah Conner Chronicles. Plenty of mystery, characters you love to hate, characters you hate to love. Twists and turns as you try to decipher just how many factions are in play, where they all come from, and what they all want. Even the cliffhanger ending of the second season is retrospectively a perfect way to leave the story, not at all neat and tidy and kindling that dread of the inevitability of Judgement Day afresh. It's a horror story ending of the futility of hope that combines with a Lovecraft-esque crushing of John Conner's spirit when his role in the story - preeminent up to this point - is reduced to insignificance.

But the moment that sticks with me is one episode in the middle of season 2, John and his uncle Derek Reese spend the episode saving one particular boy because his role in the future is crucial. When John finally asks Reese what this boy does in the future Reese replies, "He dies for you, John. We all die for you." Chills.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on June 3rd 2019, 11:39 am

mindspike wrote:

As much as I loved T1 and T2, for me the crowning achievement of the franchise is the two seasons of the Terminator TV show, the Sarah Conner Chronicles.

Again, typing words straight from my subconscious mind. In fact, your imposition of a horror framework on the unintended final ending of the series makes me want to watch the series again. Hated that unresolved cliffhanger, but maybe that's a mental trick that can give me peace with it. Thanks for your perspective!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is November 25th 2020, 12:19 am