Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central


    Another Life

    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

    Posts : 1067
    Activity : 1352
    Geek-Cred : 9
    Join date : 2013-12-10
    Age : 42
    Location : Tasmania, Australia

    Another Life Empty Another Life

    Post  AdamCollings on July 17th 2019, 7:49 pm



    Oh man. I misread the date on this. I was gonna start watching while I ate lunch today, but I gotta wait a week.
    I am so up for this.
    Starring Katee Sackoff from Battlestar Galactica, as a protagonist who is a wife and mother. Space exploration. Alien mystery. Action, and probably lots of character stuff.
    Bring it on.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

    Posts : 5275
    Activity : 7483
    Geek-Cred : 58
    Join date : 2010-02-17
    Age : 42
    Location : Mesa, AZ

    Another Life Empty Re: Another Life

    Post  Paeter on July 18th 2019, 11:54 am

    Cool! I'd love to hear what you think after watching it!


    _________________
    -Seek The Truth!

    www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

    Posts : 1067
    Activity : 1352
    Geek-Cred : 9
    Join date : 2013-12-10
    Age : 42
    Location : Tasmania, Australia

    Another Life Empty Re: Another Life

    Post  AdamCollings on July 26th 2019, 7:33 pm

    Here's my initial thoughts after the first two episodes.



    I may do a full series review once I finish it.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

    Posts : 1067
    Activity : 1352
    Geek-Cred : 9
    Join date : 2013-12-10
    Age : 42
    Location : Tasmania, Australia

    Another Life Empty Re: Another Life

    Post  AdamCollings on July 30th 2019, 5:28 pm

    Okay. So I've now seen the whole of season 1.
    When they focused on the sci-fi plot, I was really quite enjoying it. It's hard to say much without giving spoilers, but suffice it so say, humanity are in big trouble, but they may not be alone. There is a lot of potential here for continuing the story.

    However, they didn't focus in the sci-fi plot enough. The events of season 1 could have been condensed into half the season. Instead, they inserted a lot of filler material. Some of it was meaningful obstacles to their mission, but too much of it was all about superficial relationships and sexy-times. And I'm talking some pretty "out there" stuff. In one case, a woman and two men decide to have a three-some. In another case, one guy, high on drugs from an alien planet, looks into another character's eyes (I think this was a trans-gender man-as-woman) and kisses her. They both then fall instantly in love.There's even some "romance" with the ship's hologram.


    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

    Posts : 309
    Activity : 498
    Geek-Cred : 3
    Join date : 2018-06-25
    Age : 37
    Location : China

    Another Life Empty Re: Another Life

    Post  AGoodReed on July 31st 2019, 9:05 am

    AdamCollings wrote:However, they didn't focus in the sci-fi plot enough. The events of season 1 could have been condensed into half the season. Instead, they inserted a lot of filler material. Some of it was meaningful obstacles to their mission, but too much of it was all about superficial relationships and sexy-times. And I'm talking some pretty "out there" stuff. In one case, a woman and two men decide to have a three-some. In another case, one guy, high on drugs from an alien planet, looks into another character's eyes (I think this was a trans-gender man-as-woman) and kisses her. They both then fall instantly in love.There's even some "romance" with the ship's hologram.

    I'm out.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

    Posts : 5275
    Activity : 7483
    Geek-Cred : 58
    Join date : 2010-02-17
    Age : 42
    Location : Mesa, AZ

    Another Life Empty Re: Another Life

    Post  Paeter on August 2nd 2019, 11:28 am

    AGoodReed wrote:
    AdamCollings wrote:However, they didn't focus in the sci-fi plot enough. The events of season 1 could have been condensed into half the season. Instead, they inserted a lot of filler material. Some of it was meaningful obstacles to their mission, but too much of it was all about superficial relationships and sexy-times. And I'm talking some pretty "out there" stuff. In one case, a woman and two men decide to have a three-some. In another case, one guy, high on drugs from an alien planet, looks into another character's eyes (I think this was a trans-gender man-as-woman) and kisses her. They both then fall instantly in love.There's even some "romance" with the ship's hologram.

    I'm out.

    Lol! Man, that description just went further off the rails the longer it went on. Thanks for the info, Adam. And thanks for the laugh, Reed, whether you were going for one or not. Was the perfect, dry, dead stop after Adam's description.


    _________________
    -Seek The Truth!

    www.spiritblade.com
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

    Posts : 770
    Activity : 947
    Geek-Cred : 39
    Join date : 2010-08-24
    Age : 46
    Location : Evansville, IN

    Another Life Empty Re: Another Life

    Post  mindspike on August 3rd 2019, 7:55 am

    AGoodReed wrote:I'm out.

    Hah! Seconded. And thanks for taking the bullet, Adam!


    _________________
    -Winston Crutchfield
    http://criticalpressmedia.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

    Posts : 1067
    Activity : 1352
    Geek-Cred : 9
    Join date : 2013-12-10
    Age : 42
    Location : Tasmania, Australia

    Another Life Empty Re: Another Life

    Post  AdamCollings on August 4th 2019, 6:46 pm

    I'm a bit disappointed because there were some aspects of the show that I genuinely liked.
    I'm started to think this is where all sci-fi is headed these days. It's all about left-wing millennial views of gender and sexuality.

    Amusingly, somebody commented on my initial review, criticising the show because "too many of the characters were still sexually binary" and that just wasn't good enough.

    I think I'm also starting to get old, because I'm noticing that most TV shows are about people in their 20s. When I was in my thirties, I used to say that I felt like I was still in my 20s. Now that I'm in my 40s, I look and realise how very different current 20-somethings are from me, and I'm like, yeah, I think for the first time in my life I actually feel my own age.
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

    Posts : 770
    Activity : 947
    Geek-Cred : 39
    Join date : 2010-08-24
    Age : 46
    Location : Evansville, IN

    Another Life Empty Re: Another Life

    Post  mindspike on August 4th 2019, 8:07 pm

    AdamCollings wrote:I think I'm also starting to get old, because I'm noticing that most TV shows are about people in their 20s. When I was in my thirties, I used to say that I felt like I was still in my 20s. Now that I'm in my 40s,  I look and realise how very different current 20-somethings are from me, and I'm like, yeah, I think for the first time in my life I actually feel my own age.

    LOL I made this exact same observation the other day!!

    ................

    When it comes to "progressive sexuality", the current generation of sci-fi creators has nothing on their forbears - they may even be tame in comparison.

    I Will Fear No Evil, Robert Heinlein, 1970

    Johann Smith has his brain transplanted into the body of his recently deceased secretary, and proceeds to seduce everyone except the secretary's widower. Smith eventually marries and moves both spouse and lovers onto a yacht in the middle of the ocean. The culture of the the setting recognized seven separate gender identities.

    Riverworld, Philip Jose Farmer, 1971-1983


    Earth's dead are resurrected into new, immortal bodies on a paradise planet where death only results in further resurrection. They proceed to bone everything even vaguely humanoid. This includes primitive humanoids, aliens, and non-consenting partners (depending on the local culture, only one partner needs to consent) in both pairs and groups. Gender identity is considered a relic of life on Earth.

    Ursula K. Le Guin explores radically alternative forms of sexuality in The Left Hand of Darkness (1969) and again in "Coming of Age in Karhide" (1995), which imagine the sexuality of an alien "human" species in which individuals are neither "male" nor "female," but undergo a monthly sexual cycle in which they randomly experience the activation of either male or female sexual organs and reproductive abilities.

    Theodore Sturgeon wrote many stories that emphasised the importance of love regardless of the current social norms, such as "The World Well Lost" (1953), a classic tale involving alien homosexuality, and the novel Venus Plus X (1960), in which a contemporary man awakens in a futuristic place where the people are hermaphrodites.

    In Aldous Huxley's dystopian novel Brave New World (1932), natural reproduction has been abolished, with human embryos being raised artificially in "hatcheries and conditioning centres." Recreational sex is promoted, often as a group activity, and marriage, pregnancy, natural birth, and parenthood are considered too vulgar to be mentioned in polite conversation.

    Early works that showed sexually open characters to be morally impure include the first lesbian vampire story "Carmilla" (1872) by Sheridan Le Fanu (collected in In a Glass Darkly).

    -----------------------------

    Most of these summaries are taken from Wikipedia.

    My primary takeaway is that human society runs in cycles of promiscuity and prudity. In each case, whichever thought is ascendant at the moment seeks to justify itself as the only proper way of thinking. In 10 years or less, I think this current obsession with gender identity will fade from popularity. We'll see it reappear 20 years or so after that.


    _________________
    -Winston Crutchfield
    http://criticalpressmedia.com

    Sponsored content

    Another Life Empty Re: Another Life

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is November 25th 2020, 12:18 am