Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Pandora on the CW

mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 947
    Geek-Cred : 39

Pandora on the CW Empty Pandora on the CW

Post  mindspike on August 3rd 2019, 8:49 am

The CW has a really mixed track record with me. I have loved shows like Supernatural, alternately loved and hated Arrow and The Flash, and really come to loathe Riverdale and Supergirl. When I saw a random trailer for Pandora, I was intrigued until I noticed that it was airing on The CW.

I've watched the first three episodes and I have a few reactions. Spoiler, I think I'm going to be following this show.

Jax is the main character; she's the only survivor of an attack that killed her parents and their research team. Now she's trying to find out what really happened and why they were attacked. In the mean time, she is at the Naval Academy and has a Scooby-gang of cohorts that includes an emancipated clone (clones are property, not people), the son of the Ambassador from the Evil Aliens with whom Earth just signed a cease-fire, and a few other students.

The good: a really interesting mystery, political maneuvering in the background, likable characters, and a view of military life that, if not wholly positive, is not wholly negative. The show doesn't obsess over young adult angst. The episode structure includes an A plot that addresses the situation of the moment (the first three episodes have been: We Have a MetaPlot Mystery, Slavery And Religion Are Bad, and Black Ops and Power Brokers Can't Be Trusted) as well as a B plot that focuses on one or two characters Growing And Learning. The scifi aesthetic is understated and subtle.

The bad: apparently, twenty-somethings are the only people who can be trusted to tell the truth and act in the interest of others. Also, at the end of We Have a Metaplot, Jax has just survived an alien/black ops attack, been rescued by the Guy Who Looks Trustworthy But Can't Be Because He Works For The Man, and been told to leave the investigation to those in authority. Her reply? "You know I'm not going to leave this alone, right?" Sigh.... Authority figures are no match for young adult angst after all. The dialog waffles between really smart and clever banter and groan-worthy, eye-rolling lines.

The surprising: the cast of characters has a wide range of personalities, even though they share a willingness to challenge authority. They interact really well and in a very natural way. The show appears to be veering away from the social agendas so prominent in Supergirl and opting for harder storytelling that highlights these characters true moral fiber. Episode three ended with a very natural and dramatic consequence that I didn't see coming simply because those types of story choices are simply not made on network television.

I want to see where this show is going.

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 7483
    Geek-Cred : 58

Pandora on the CW Empty Re: Pandora on the CW

Post  Paeter on August 5th 2019, 12:19 pm

mindspike wrote:

I want to see where this show is going.

I want to see where YOU see this show going! Doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy, but I'd be curious how you feel about it if you stick with it!

www.spiritblade.com
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 947
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike on August 5th 2019, 9:36 pm

Paeter wrote:I want to see where YOU see this show going! Doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy, but I'd be curious how you feel about it if you stick with it!

It won't take much to put me off of it, so I'm not pinning my hopes very high.

What I'd like to see is something like Wing Commander Academy, if anyone remembers USA Saturday morning. Where that show was set in war time, this one is in the middle of a newly minted cold war. Where that one had to be simple enough for kids, this one can be more complex and take more risks. That show set a fairly high bar, easily the equal of Bruce Timm's Batman series of the same era. The stories didn't shy away from the moral implication of war and the characters had to make some fairly difficult decisions and come to terms with unpleasant truths about their world.

Wing Commander Academy on Amazon.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is November 25th 2020, 12:56 am