Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Spider-man Is OUT Of The MCU!

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 7483
    Geek-Cred : 58

Spider-man Is OUT Of The MCU! Empty Spider-man Is OUT Of The MCU!

Post  Paeter on August 20th 2019, 11:38 pm

For my tastes, this is a massive blow to the future of the MCU. Spider-man should have been the "new Iron Man" in that he would appear in all kinds of movies and be an adhesive that helps us care about the movies of obscure/new characters.

If they don't fix this and get him back in, I'm ready to declare this moment as "the beginning of the end" for the MCU. Don't get me wrong, it will take a long time for the MCU films to wind down performance-wise for them to stop making movies or reboot the universe. But with X-Men and Fantastic Four not ready to release movies for a good while, I suspect too much momentum will be lost and history will look back on Endgame as the peak of the MCU, after which it began a slow decline. Possibly a decline with a few peaks, but nothing that ever reaches the heights of Endgame again.

Other perspectives and predictions?

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 871
    Geek-Cred : 6

Spider-man Is OUT Of The MCU! Empty Re: Spider-man Is OUT Of The MCU!

Post  jorowi on August 21st 2019, 8:23 am

Dumb move for Sony. Without Spider-man appearing in MCU movies there's no way to drive viewers to the Sony properties. This abrupt cut will make it weird since Sony can't mention the MCU and Marvel can't mention Spidey.

I suspect the MCU will just ignore Spider-man and Peter Parker ever existed but much of Spider-man's story in the stand-alone movies revolves around Tony Stark, The Avengers, and the events around Infinity War and Endgame. It's going to be hard to retcon that.

I could go on but I'll stop there. Dumb move, Sony. Dumb.

Twitter
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 7483
    Geek-Cred : 58

Post  Paeter on August 21st 2019, 6:00 pm

I think some things could just be ignored anyway in future movies. Happy thought that relationship was going somewhere that May clearly did not, and many artifacts of Peter's origins could be vaguely referenced but still dodging the legal issues. For example, Peter could say to MJ "Yeah, there was another hero once who inspired me, helped make me who I am. I owe him alot." He could also mention he's been to space. If pressed, Sony could always claim that Peter is referring to new continuity elements they have created for him but not made explicit, that happen to have a lot of parallels with his old MCU continuity.

That said, lot's of really good points there, John. Too many, in fact. As I've thought about this since posting last night, I've begun to suspect that this will get reversed. It sounds like both sides got a little too greedy and overconfident. But I think both fan reactions and their individual long term goals will bring both parties back to the bargaining table. Spider-man is unlikely to work as well outside the MCU, and the MCU is unlikely to work well for awhile without Spider-man. I think chances are good they will both realize that. Hopefully before trying to make another Spider-man movie...

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1352
    Geek-Cred : 9

Post  AdamCollings on August 21st 2019, 6:23 pm

They had a great thing going. Sound like their original agreement (which as I understand was for mutual licensing with no money being exchanged) had expired and had to be re-negotiated.

It's a shame when business ruins art. (Business and art aren't always at odds, of course, but when it works best, the business serves the art, not the other way around).

I'm not sure I have much much interest in watching a non-MCU Spiderman at this point. In fact, with the recent decline of the DCEU, and Endgame giving us a very satisfying conclusion to the MCU, I suspect I'll be watching a lot less superhero movies in the future. It's not any kind of boycott, more a sense of, I think what's behind is better than what's ahead, and I'm ready to move on to something else. At least until something exciting grabs my attention again.

AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 498
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  AGoodReed on August 22nd 2019, 2:20 am

If this stands, I don't think it will effect my viewing much. I still haven't seen Far From Home, and the only reason I really want to see it is because I heard there was a twist, not because I really care about the character. The MCU peaked with Endgame for me, and everything after is just going to be a drawn-out denouement. There's nothing on the horizon from them that I'm all that curious about. Maybe the Falcon and Winter Soldier stuff on Disney+, but I'm losing interest in that the longer it takes to come to fruition.

Believe it or not, I think I actually like Spider-Man better away from the MCU. My favorite Spidey films have been Spider-Man 2 and Into the Spider-Verse. I might actually be more interested if Sony went back to their old idea of creating a Spider-Man extended universe (though now it would have to start with Venom, so that would be kind of odd).

More than anything, though, I want a sequel to Into the Spide-verse. Or I at least want to see more superhero movies done in that animated style.

Unlike Adam, I'm still hyped for superheroes. I'm pretty invested in DC's stuff. I'm looking forward to Wonder Woman 1984, I'm curious about Suicide Squad 2, I really want to see where they go with Aquaman and Captain ShazaMarvel, and I'm interested in what the reaction will be to the Joker movie. I'm also holding out hope that Valiant Entertainment gets going on some of their planned films.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is November 24th 2020, 11:43 pm