Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

New Arrowverse Series to Focus on Superman and Lois Struggling with Parenthood

AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

New Arrowverse Series to Focus on Superman and Lois Struggling with Parenthood Empty New Arrowverse Series to Focus on Superman and Lois Struggling with Parenthood

Post  AdamCollings October 28th 2019, 5:38 pm

So this happened today.
    https://tvline.com/2019/10/28/superman-lois-lane-series-in-development-the-cw/?fbclid=IwAR06T0hX_YfE8OYMs8HyqxlLaMUGRdOiv4NU9MxVRdLs-q7Fi3UaYxr59N0

I wasn't expecting this. I haven't been keeping up with the Arrowverse but according to the article, Lios is pregnant and Clark has proposed. (I assumeshe said yes.)

I'm in multiple minds.

On one hand, I love Superman. He's my favourite superhero. So I'm excited for anything new that's Superman-related.
    On the other hand. It's CW.
    But on a third hand, it's about a newly married couple dealing with parenthood. That tends to suggest it won't all teeny-angst relationships. Maybe.

This I'll say, they're pushing the story forward, to show us a side of Superman we haven't really seen on screen before. Sure, Lois and Clark gave us a married Superman, which was actually pretty cool, and ended was heading toward the possibility of parenthood. And Superman Returns gave us the revelation of Superman's son, but neither of these had the chance to really explore this.
    So I give CW credit for going down this path.

But ultimately, after Man of Steel, everything feels like it's gonna fall short for me. Nothing can compare to that film in my subjective taste.

It's all probably moot until I find out if I can affordably watch it anyway.

Thoughts?
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 834
    Geek-Cred : 4

New Arrowverse Series to Focus on Superman and Lois Struggling with Parenthood Empty Re: New Arrowverse Series to Focus on Superman and Lois Struggling with Parenthood

Post  AGoodReed October 28th 2019, 8:00 pm

I saw the headline about a new Superman and Lois show, but I didn't realize it was going to be centered around them as parents. That makes me much, much more interested.

I only saw Tyler Hoechlin as Superman once or twice on Supergirl before I quit watching the show (and there was no Lois Lane by that point). He seems kind of short and thin-faced for the way I view the character. But if the new show can give me good characters and stories, I think I can get used to it.

I'm personally not hung up on comparing new Superman media to Man of Steel, Superman the Movie, or anything else I've seen. The character is so old and has been adapted so many times, I'm able to see each one as its own thing and judge it separately.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

New Arrowverse Series to Focus on Superman and Lois Struggling with Parenthood Empty Re: New Arrowverse Series to Focus on Superman and Lois Struggling with Parenthood

Post  Paeter October 29th 2019, 9:38 am

I'm curious! As you said, it's about parenting by a couple that, based on the title, is not at risk of breaking up. Since CW relationships seem based on a cycle of break-ups and hot new pairings, this will be pretty new. But do they even have writers who know how to WRITE a scenario about a committed marriage and raising kids? I will likely want to look up the pedigree of the writers on IMDB.

I'm also wondering what this indicates about the theatrical superman. Did this get greenlit, in part, because they are not very serious about making more Superman movies? I know they've said multiple versions of their characters can exist parallel to each other, but it would still be paradigm-breaking to have a successful show and ongoing film franchise about the same character portrayed by different casts. So this show moving forward makes me wonder if there is any connection. I hope not! I want more Cavill Superman!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings October 29th 2019, 6:26 pm

Sadly, I've given up on ever getting any more Cavill superman. Ben Affleck seems to be out (probably for good) They have recast commissioner Gordon (as a different race) in the Robert Pattison Batman movies, which contradicts BVS. They seem to be distancing themselves from the past with the new Suicide Squad. I think it's over. Which kinda sucks.

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter October 30th 2019, 10:08 am

AdamCollings wrote:Sadly, I've given up on ever getting any more Cavill superman. Ben Affleck seems to be out (probably for good) They have recast commissioner Gordon (as a different race) in the Robert Pattison Batman movies, which contradicts BVS. They seem to be distancing themselves from the past with the new Suicide Squad. I think it's over. Which kinda sucks.

That's really odd. Because clearly Wonder Woman and Aquaman are successes they'll want to continue. Do you think what we're seeing in general here is a detachment from concern over united continuity and just taking each property in its own direction, however works best for it? Anyone think we will see any new crossovers that haven't already been established? Or has a more traditional, separated continuity approach begun?

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings October 30th 2019, 8:59 pm

Yeah, they do seem to be shifting focus to more solo projects, so it's quite possible that Wonder Woman and Aqua Man will continue as is, and they'll reboot Batman and Superman (which were the controversial ones)
    Time will tell I guess.
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 834
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  AGoodReed October 30th 2019, 10:00 pm

I figured they'd already ditched the DCEU Superman and Batman after Justice League's bad reception. But Batman and Superman were referenced in SHAZAM! (the real Captain Marvel), and there was strong evidence that
    Spoiler for SHAZAM!:

I haven't seen anything from Cavill that explicitly says he's done with Superman, so I could see him coming back for a solo film sometime. But I'm not holding my breath. He could also cameo in a Wonder Woman, Aquaman, SHAZAM (real Captain Marvel), or Flash film (if that one actually happens), but I feel like if he does that, people will expect another solo film.

I also feel like crossovers are being shelved by DC/WB for now. As much as I'd like to see Aquaman or Wonder Woman interact with SHAZAM (Captain Marvel!), I think the most we'll see in the next movie will be a a cosplayer in a Wonder Woman costume or something.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 19th 2024, 1:02 am