Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

I finally saw Glass (spoilers)

AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 834
    Geek-Cred : 4

I finally saw Glass (spoilers) Empty I finally saw Glass (spoilers)

Post  AGoodReed February 15th 2020, 10:07 am

Gotta say, I was a bit disappointed. I wasn't expecting a Marvel or DC movie. I knew it wouldn't be all fights, all the time. I knew it would be more psychological. And yet, I'd heard that M. Night Shyamalan was a comic book fan, so I expected...I don't know, a bit more punching and a bit fewer bearhugs. And I was really hoping for more respect to be paid to the David Dunn character. Not saying he had to survive (though I wanted him to), but I was very unsatisfied with his death. He was trounced by the Beast once he got tackled into the water tank, and he was then drowned by a guard in a puddle without even getting any last words.

It's a shame, because I was into it for a long time, especially the parts where members of the Horde were showing so much fear about there being someone who could match strength with the Beast. It seemed like it was building towards something different than what we got.

I thought Dr. Staples was a good villain because I really disliked her throughout. She always had this sad, pained face on, like she was a worried mother trying to help these poor "children," even though I, as the viewer, knew she had to be misguided in her beliefs that superheroes weren't actually superpowered. Then her true intentions were revealed, and that was a pretty good twist, but it didn't make up for the disappointment of David Dunn's fate.

I should've seen the train twist coming. But it was pretty much brushed aside almost as soon as it was revealed in favor of the Dr. Staples twist.

Okay, I just wanted to get this out before re-listening to Paeter's review. His perspective often changes mine at least slightly, so I felt like posting my somewhat-undercooked opinions before he changed my mind.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

I finally saw Glass (spoilers) Empty Re: I finally saw Glass (spoilers)

Post  Paeter February 18th 2020, 12:19 pm

I really hated David's fate as well, but it grew on me on the drive home. Something about the tragic nobility of an unseen, uncelebrated person who commits to doing good, even when they don't have success, both challenges me as a viewer and connects with me personally.

Do I have to be the successful "chosen hero", or is there value in living a good life that looks like failure and defeat?

That's what I'm left pondering after Glass. And while the movie didn't leave me feeling the way I wanted to feel, it left me thinking in a way that I think is good for me.

A bit like the movie Frailty. An ending I felt kinda icky about, but that challenged me and left me pondering some worthwhile things.
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 834
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  AGoodReed February 18th 2020, 4:18 pm

That's respectable. I still feel like I can't watch Unbreakable anymore because it will just depress me knowing how he meets his ultimate end. So Glass kind of retroactively ruins Unbreakable for me, and that's a real shame.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter February 19th 2020, 10:03 am

AGoodReed wrote:That's respectable. I still feel like I can't watch Unbreakable anymore because it will just depress me knowing how he meets his ultimate end. So Glass kind of retroactively ruins Unbreakable for me, and that's a real shame.

Hmm, I can see that angle, too. The message and use of the character there was not very consistent with his use in Glass. I might be able to still feel good about Unbreakable knowing that for years David helped countless people (as is indicated by the well-oiled operating he and his son seem to be running in Glass). But the structure is off in Glass from the structure in Unbreakable. Unbreakable= Greatest visible accomplishment represented at climax. Glass= Greatest visible accomplishment represented at beginning of the story instead of climax.

It definitely makes it a challenging experience!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is March 29th 2024, 12:54 am