Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla

DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla Empty Assassin’s Creed Valhalla

Post  DNArington on April 30th 2020, 4:11 pm

The much rumored viking themed Assassin's Creed game has been officially announced! No gameplay yet, but a pretty cool cinematic trailer!

It's hit or miss which AC games I've played, but I have enjoyed the last couple (Origins and Odyssey.) With every entry they are moving closer and closer to being a full blown RPG, which isn't my favorite, but they are still enough of an action game with a cool story that I enjoy them! I love that we are going to be Vikings this time! We got Spartans and now Vikings, all I want now is to play as a Samurai!
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1345
    Geek-Cred : 9

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla Empty Re: Assassin’s Creed Valhalla

Post  AdamCollings on April 30th 2020, 6:35 pm

The problem is, I want to empathise with the "wrong" side. This is probably an isue with a couple of AC games.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 7466
    Geek-Cred : 58

Post  Paeter on May 1st 2020, 1:38 pm

AdamCollings wrote:The problem is, I want to empathize with the "wrong" side. This is probably an isue with a couple of AC games.

Totally agree.  I discovered an approach I like in AC: Odyssey, however: Play the protagonist as evil as possible.

Some Christians may understandably recoil at this idea. But by playing as evil as possible, the opposition at least begins to look less evil by comparison.

For example, my guess is that if you play the moral high ground at every turn in Valhalla, the corrupt Christian King will look all the more unreasonable for wanting to kill you. However, if you murder and pillage with animal rage at every chance, the king, while still embracing a twisted form of Christianity, will at least seem significantly more justified in his desire to exterminate the protagonist.

For the sake of giving the opposition the benefit of the doubt, I will probably start out trying to be good. But the moment the corrupt Christians in the game lash out unfairly, I plan to become the worst kind of evil that will therefore retroactively (to some degree at least) justify their seemingly unfair pre-emptive wrath.

"Vikings good, Christians bad"? If that ends up being your intent, I am not going to let you tell that story unaltered in my house, Ubisoft.

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1345
    Geek-Cred : 9

Post  AdamCollings on May 3rd 2020, 6:36 pm

That's a really interesting approach. I would never have thought of that.
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Post  DNArington on May 6th 2020, 10:39 am

Interesting. I agree that we would basically be playing as the bad guys of this part of history and it does always annoy me when Christians are the bad guys in entertainment, but I guess I don't view it any different than a movie character doing something I disagree with. I watch (and enjoy) lots of movies where the main character is a bad guy (movies that feature Hitmen or gangster movies), but I try to think about where I agree and disagree with the characters and what the story is saying. It does look like this is romanticizing Vikings in a way that is not true to history (and they did the same thing with the Spartans in the last game), but if I enjoy the game, then that doesn't typically bother me.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is October 31st 2020, 2:15 pm