Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

The Synder Cut

AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1345
    Geek-Cred : 9

The Synder Cut Empty The Synder Cut

Post  AdamCollings on May 19th 2020, 5:52 am

So it seems there's a bit of chatter on Twitter at the moment regarding the Snyder Cut of Justice League. Even epople who had previously been snyder-cut-deniers have changed their tune.
    Seems like we might be in for some kind of annoucement in the next few days.

I've heard a lot of people talking about "HBO Max" which apparently is a streaming service that's about to start in America, and this is being touted as the home for the Snyder Cut.

But here's the problem.
    I'm probably not going to get to see it.
    That would almost be worse than the cut never releasing, if it comes out, but I can't see it, and I can't be part of the conversation.
    The Snyder Cut has supporters all around the world. I can only hope that they find some way to share it with the rest of us, but I can't let myself get too many hopes up.

The Synder Cut Image029

Of course, this is all just speculation. If it does happen, maybe it won't be on HBO max at all.

I guess we all just need to keep our ears to the ground.
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 489
    Geek-Cred : 3

The Synder Cut Empty Re: The Synder Cut

Post  AGoodReed on May 19th 2020, 8:44 am

If it does happen on HBO Max, I will find a way to share my VPN and HBO Max subscription with you so you can see it.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 7466
    Geek-Cred : 58

Post  Paeter on May 19th 2020, 11:30 am

I read that Snyder is confirmed to have shown his cut of the movie to a group of executives at Warner back in January. ( https://www.ign.com/articles/snyder-cut-history-lost-justice-league-movie-real-exist ) So it seems that something is going on. I've long wondered if this would be the next "Superman 2: Richard Donner Cut", but never thought it could happen so quickly.

My active imagination tells me that this Quarantine has been the PERFECT time for Warner to invest in this kind of project, since it requires no additional filming, just a bunch of post-production that can largely be done while in quarantine. (The score might be the one thing that would require quarantine to end, but I've heard of film makers getting creative with that, too.) So if it got the green light back in January (or perhaps in early quarantine, as it may have been more appealing a project at that point) I think it makes sense that it could be ready to go sometime in 2020 (though I have doubts about this summer, unless a lot of visual effects work was already done, which would surprise me).

I would be surprised if it was stranded on HBO Max, at least forever. That strikes me as something you do as a timed exclusive to get people subscribed. They will eventually want it to make money for them wherever it can.

Again, this is all nerdy speculation and wishful thinking. And also assumes that the cut is GOOD! I believe it must be better than what we got, but two previewers at Warner reportedly both used the word "unwatchable" to describe how bad they thought it was. (Despite others highly praising it. This suggests it may be divisive as BvS was, which I LOVED, so I say bring on that division!)

Bottom line: We won't know until we know!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on May 19th 2020, 4:11 pm

Okay, the nerd hype is building...
    Snyder is doing this MoS commentary today. He mentions quarantine as the motive, but it sure would make a lot of sense to do these events anyway if he's wanting to stir up conversation about the Snyder Cut (which it WILL do) before it prepares to release.

My current daydream involves a video (inspired by a tweeted photo from Snyder a couple years back) going up around the time Comic-con would have been, with opening white text on black screen saying something like ,"We know you wanted to see some cool news and reveals this time of year. Ee're sorry it didn't work out. So we thought we'd bring a little something special directly to your home."

Cut to hands slicing vegetables (the classic setup)...
    Chop chop, quick angle change and the owner of the hands gasps, maybe lets out a raspy expletive. Then the camera pulls back and a wincing Zack Snyder looks at the camera for a moment, freezes for one beat, then lifts up his hand to show the cut on his finger. (Cue Snyder fans everywhere screaming at their computers.) Instant cut to black, for a few seconds, then some nicely put together teaser footage for "Justice League: The Director's Cut", coming to HBO Max.

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on May 20th 2020, 1:08 pm

IT'S HAPPENING!

Seconds ago (as I write) Snyder announced the Snyder Cut Of Justice League is coming to HBO Max in 2021!

Time to nerd the crap OUT!!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on May 20th 2020, 3:26 pm

www.spiritblade.com
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Post  AGoodReed on May 20th 2020, 5:04 pm

Congrats, HBO. You will be the one to actually get me to subscribe to a (U.S.-based) streaming service.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on May 21st 2020, 11:54 am

AGoodReed wrote:Congrats, HBO. You will be the one to actually get me to subscribe to a (U.S.-based) streaming service.

Yeah, they've got my money for at least a month. Maybe more if they stretch this into episodes, which is a current rumor/possibility.

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 868
    Geek-Cred : 6

Post  jorowi on May 21st 2020, 2:30 pm

WB Exec #1: Dang. We're losing a truckload of money because theaters are closed.
    WB Exec #2: We would've lost money anyway, our movies haven't been well-received.
    WB1: Waitaminute! Don't we have a bunch of unreleased footage of Justice League?
    WB2: People hated that movie.
    WB1: Yeah, but people have been clamoring for the "Snyder Cut."
    WB2: That's right! We can just slap some cheap CG in it and, BOOM!
    WB1: Get Zack on the phone!

Twitter
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on May 21st 2020, 3:00 pm

jorowi wrote:WB Exec #1: Dang. We're losing a truckload of money because theaters are closed.
    WB Exec #2: We would've lost money anyway, our movies haven't been well-received.
    WB1: Waitaminute! Don't we have a bunch of unreleased footage of Justice League?
    WB2: People hated that movie.
    WB1: Yeah, but people have been clamoring for the "Snyder Cut."
    WB2: That's right! We can just slap some cheap CG in it and, BOOM!
    WB1: Get Zack on the phone!

Some of this is definitely a possibility. But given that Snyder has thank WB publicly for the chance to complete his vision, I'm betting they will not go the cheap CG route. (At least not more cheap than the theatrical release, which had CG that looked on the cheaper side at times.

But as I think I mentioned in the video, I definitely suspect that the quarantine made a difference in getting this greenlit because of the ability to do the post-production work from homes. The entire film industry has been scrambling (TV in particular from what I understand) to keep some kind of content going out despite the limitations.

www.spiritblade.com
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Post  DNArington on May 21st 2020, 3:44 pm

I'm extremely excited for this! I liked Snyder's vision of the DCEU and was disappointed to see WB doing away with it. From what I'm reading they are putting between 20-30 million towards this project, which sounds like a lot of money to sink into a three year old movie. Even if it does turn out to be a cheap cash grab, I'll still be happy we got to see what he was actually planing!

I hope they skip the whole episodic idea and just release a 3+ hour movie instead, because that's how I intend to consume it anyway.

With this and the announced The Last of Us series (and Watchmen which came out last year), I'll probably subscribe to HBO Max for a couple months to binge through those.
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Post  AGoodReed on May 22nd 2020, 8:18 am

If they do release it in installments, that kind of makes sense for them. It might require people to stay subscribed for longer in order to see them all as their released, thus paying more for their subscriptions.

If they do do it that way, I hope they at least put them all together into one film after they're all released.
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Post  AGoodReed on May 24th 2020, 8:25 am

DNArington wrote:From what I'm reading they are putting between 20-30 million towards this project, which sounds like a lot of money to sink into a three year old movie. Even if it does turn out to be a cheap cash grab, I'll still be happy we got to see what he was actually planing!

So what we wanted was a rough, unpolished cut of the film that ended with a cliffhanger. With $20 million ( affraid ) being put into it, what we're getting is probably going to look a lot more polished and perhaps have closure at the end.

Comicstorian here is saying that it's not the cut we wanted, but it's the cut we need. Or something. You can watch it yourself and correct me.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on May 28th 2020, 7:29 pm

AGoodReed wrote:

So what we wanted was a rough, unpolished cut of the film that ended with a cliffhanger. With $20 million ( affraid ) being put into it, what we're getting is probably going to look a lot more polished and perhaps have closure at the end.

Comicstorian here is saying that it's not the cut we wanted, but it's the cut we need. Or something. You can watch it yourself and correct me.

I'm okay with no closure. In fact, if this is received as well as I think it might be, we could be looking at a DCEU that course corrects to something closer to the original Snyder DCEU plans.

From what I've heard Flashpoint is the confirmed story for the FLash movie, which means we can get a soft continuity reboot that lets Pattinson take over as Batman and for other tweaks to be made while otherwise getting back to many of the original Snyder plans. Not getting hyped (yet), but a lot is possible right now.

www.spiritblade.com
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Post  AGoodReed on May 28th 2020, 8:31 pm

Paeter wrote:
    From what I've heard Flashpoint is the confirmed story for the FLash movie, which means we can get a soft continuity reboot that lets Pattinson take over as Batman and for other tweaks to be made while otherwise getting back to many of the original Snyder plans. Not getting hyped (yet), but a lot is possible right now.

I think it's weird to do Flashpoint as the first solo Flash movie. We've barely been introduced to him, and already everything changes?

I also don't like the idea of the Matt Reeves Batman movie being part of the "Snyderverse" DCEU. I think that should be separate like Joker. Or a prequel. But if they do go forward with more films in the Snyderverse and Ben Affleck doesn't return as Batman, I guess they need someone to fill the role, and it would be quite odd to have Robert Pattinson suddenly playing his role.

I dunno. I'm not a fan of soft reboots like that. It kind of worked for the X-Men films, but it also kind of left too many questions for me.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on May 28th 2020, 11:39 pm

AGoodReed wrote:
    I think it's weird to do Flashpoint as the first solo Flash movie. We've barely been introduced to him, and already everything changes?

I also don't like the idea of the Matt Reeves Batman movie being part of the "Snyderverse" DCEU. I think that should be separate like Joker. Or a prequel. But if they do go forward with more films in the Snyderverse and Ben Affleck doesn't return as Batman, I guess they need someone to fill the role, and it would be quite odd to have Robert Pattinson suddenly playing his role.

I dunno. I'm not a fan of soft reboots like that. It kind of worked for the X-Men films, but it also kind of left too many questions for me.

I think Flashpoint can work in a first Flash movie if it's all about saving his mother. In the recent New 52 reboot, the murder of Barry's mother became a major part of his backstory and origin as The Flash. So I can see it working as a first movie. It doesn't have to be about the DCEU at large. That stuff can be a consequence of the Flashpoint Event that is merely teased in a post-credits scene of the Flash movie.

It also would not be my preference to replace Affleck in the modern day DCEU. My thinking is based on the fact that Affleck has said he is done, and also shared a bit about how doing the role kind of wrecked his life, unrelated to critical reception I believe. So we are looking at either no Batman or a different actor. I don't want no Batman, so Flashpoint seems like a way we can at least have one and there be some sense to that dramatic change in casting.

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on May 31st 2020, 10:13 pm

This is why I'm struggling to have any enthusiasm for the Pattison movie. Not because I don't think he as an actor has the potnetial to give a valid take on the character, I suspect he'll do great.
    But I'm kinda with Reed in that I'd prefer that movie just be kept seperate from the DCEU. Using time travel to explain why our older-seasoned Batman is now a much younger manrealy stretches credibility for me. Did Thomas and Martha delay having children for 15 years, then conceived a completely different child who they also gave the name Bruce, but then they still happened to get killed in an alley decades later? I guess that could explain Batman's new face. But I dunno. It's a lot to swallow. Remember also that Gordon's ethnic background has to somehow be changed by this Flashpoint as well!

But to be honest, I'm just not that interested in a new Batman trilogy that isn't connected to the DCEU either. Like Paeter, I kinda want my Batman to be in the mix with everyone else.
    So....I dunno. I think DC really do have a big Batman problem right now. Be interesting to see where they go with it.
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Post  DNArington on June 3rd 2020, 8:59 am

I'm looking forward to the upcoming Batman and Flash movies because I'm a fan of the characters, but at this point I'm pretty much taking the DCEU like the Fox X-Men movies, where they constantly broke their own continuity, and that's annoying, but I try not to let that get in the way of some good single movies.

I agree that Batman should remain in the DCEU, because we've already gotten a fantastic standalone Batman trilogy with the Dark Knight movies. Now I want to see him interacting with other DC characters as well!

I hope they don't completely give up on the idea of another Justice League movie. Despite the first one not working out like they hoped (we'll see how the Snyder Cut turns out), I think there is so much more potential out of an interconnected DCEU than we got so far. Now they seem to be splitting everything off into their own thing, which has it's perks, but I hope there's another team up at some point.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on June 22nd 2020, 6:28 pm

This gives further credence to Paeter's flashpoint theory, that they'll use the movie to explain in-universe the change from Affleck to Pattison. Seems Flash might be taking a tour of alternate timelines as he journeys, which will bring him face to face with Michael Keaton's Batman.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/jun/22/batman-michael-keaton-return-talks-movie?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1592856496

Of course, we should probably treat all of this as rumour until it's confirmed by WB.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on July 7th 2020, 6:14 pm

One thing I've wondered about, from time to time, is what level of collaboration existed between Hans Zimmer and JunkieXL on Batman V Superman. How involved was Junkie? Would his solo score on Justice League live up to the music of the previous movies without Zimmer's involvement?

I've recently learned (I think it was from the BVS By the Minute podcast) that it was a pretty even split. Zimmer scored the superman-related music (as he'd already scored Man of Steel) and JunkieXL scored the Batman-related parts of the movie, which includes that hauntingly beautiful theme from the beginning "A beautiful lie".
    So, I am now more excited than ever to be hearing JunkieXL's score in the Snyder cut.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on July 8th 2020, 9:11 am

AdamCollings wrote:One thing I've wondered about, from time to time, is what level of collaboration existed between Hans Zimmer and JunkieXL on Batman V Superman. How involved was Junkie? Would his solo score on Justice League live up to the music of the previous movies without Zimmer's involvement?

I've recently learned (I think it was from the BVS By the Minute podcast) that it was a pretty even split.

Interesting! I hadn't heard this but wondered myself. The name made me assume that JunkieXL was more of pop artist, but if the Batman stuff was his then he must have some scoring chops, too. I'll be leaning forward in expectation!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on July 8th 2020, 11:41 pm

Paeter wrote: The name made me assume that JunkieXL was more of pop artist,

Yeah, I don't understand the name at all. I'm sure it doesn't say JunkieXL on his birth certificate. But apparently he is an orchestral composer.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is October 31st 2020, 2:06 pm