Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

I finally saw Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Something Something Blah Blah)

AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 489
    Geek-Cred : 3

I finally saw Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Something Something Blah Blah) Empty I finally saw Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Something Something Blah Blah)

Post  AGoodReed on September 13th 2020, 12:17 pm

I did not like it. In fact, I dare say that I have finally found a superhero film that I would be even less inclined to re-watch than Captain Marvel. At least that movie had a couple likeable supporting characters.

I got it from Redbox via a free rental code, and I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it. But I'm also kind of bummed I wasted a free code on it.

I didn't like the tone or scope of the film. I couldn't get myself to care about anyone or anything. Montoya was the most sympathetic character, but she wasn't interesting enough to latch onto. Everyone else was an unrepentant crook of some sort or another.

I was surprised and annoyed that the Joker was the one to break off the relationship with Harley. If they really wanted to empower her, she would've seen how she was a prisoner, and she would've been the one to break free. Instead, she was still pining for him at different points, even though she was throwing knives at his picture. I wonder if David Ayer had any thoughts on liberating her if he'd been able to make a sequel to Suicide Squad.

The only things I liked were Ewan McGregor as Black Mask and the bits where Harley would show her experience as a psychiatrist and diagnose people out of the blue.

I totally agree with Paeter's assessment. This film felt like a huge waste of viable characters. Definitely a go-back-in-time-and-tell-myself-to-skip-it kind of movie. Apologies to anyone who liked it, but I kind of hope they completely ignore it in The Suicide Squad.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1345
    Geek-Cred : 9

I finally saw Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Something Something Blah Blah) Empty Re: I finally saw Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Something Something Blah Blah)

Post  AdamCollings on September 13th 2020, 8:17 pm

I haven't seen it, and I'm really not in a hurry.

I'm kind of annoyed that they ended the Joker / Harley relationship off-camera.
    Last we saw of them The Joker was breaking her out of prison.
    It seems a huge jump to go from that to them being broken up.
    I dunno. I just thought maybe there was more to explore with that relationship, which of course, includes Hareley opening her eyes to the unhealthiness of the relationship.
    (plus, I suppose I'm biased because I'm in the camp that wants to see more of Leto's Joker and let the actor fulfill the unrealisesd potential of that version of the character.)

I just don't get the current fascination with giving villains their own movies at the expense of the actual heroes. Suice Squad is kind of a special case.
    We've got all these awesome heroes (hint Superman. Ahem) but all DC seem to want to do is make movies about villains.

I love villains to be "heroes of their own story." Zod was a beautiful example of doing this, but I don't need them to take it so literally, and actually give them their own movie.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 7466
    Geek-Cred : 58

I finally saw Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Something Something Blah Blah) Empty Re: I finally saw Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Something Something Blah Blah)

Post  Paeter on September 14th 2020, 2:27 pm

AdamCollings wrote:
    Last we saw of them The Joker was breaking her out of prison.
    It seems a huge jump to go from that to them being broken up.

I suspect that's because Leto's Joker was unpopular. I'm with you in wanting to see more.

Many questionable decisions about DC movies seem to have roots in the mixed-negative reception of Suicide Squad & The Justice League. Both movies heavily tampered with and one (hopefully both) that are getting director's cuts. My hope is that directors cuts of these films will show WB that the original vision was the best bet, and consider the new cuts canon and influential to other decisions going forward. But I realize I'm asking a lot.

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1345
    Geek-Cred : 9

Post  AdamCollings on September 14th 2020, 8:58 pm

Paeter wrote:I suspect that's because Leto's Joker was unpopular.

Yes. That is my assumption as well.
    Another example of WB/DC listening to their detractors at the expense of their fans.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is October 31st 2020, 1:44 pm