Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Batman: Death in the Family Trailer (Totally not what I expected!)

AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 834
    Geek-Cred : 4

Batman: Death in the Family Trailer (Totally not what I expected!) Empty Batman: Death in the Family Trailer (Totally not what I expected!)

Post  AGoodReed September 29th 2020, 4:57 pm

Dude...

Shocked

I thought it was going to be an adaptation of the classic story from the comics, which seemed odd since we already had an adaptation of the sequel, Under the Hood (retitled Under the Red Hood).

And it IS an adaptation of the original story...but it's also a re-adaptation of Under the Red Hood...using the same voice actors and several of the same scenes! But it's expanded, and it's interactive. The viewer chooses what happens at different points (or at least at the catalyst point where Robin either dies or doesn't).

So that leads me to believe that, if one chooses the right paths, one could potentially just re-watch Under the Red Hood (which is my favorite Batman movie, bar none). But there seem to be at least two other paths featuring different stories and villains, and it looks like they're all going to be just about as intense as the original.

I'm actually pretty excited for this now. I kind of hope we're still stuck in the U.S. until after I get a chance to see it...
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Batman: Death in the Family Trailer (Totally not what I expected!) Empty Re: Batman: Death in the Family Trailer (Totally not what I expected!)

Post  Paeter September 30th 2020, 12:39 pm

SUCH a cool idea, and very in keeping with the spirit of the originally published story (which let readers vote via hotline to decide Robin's fate)!

My only question is the length of the experience on a given playthrough. They still only have so much budget. Maybe re-using Under The Red Hood scenes helps with this? I'd prefer to have a full length (for a DC Animated movie) experience on any single story path I choose, rather than my choice of multiple 30 minute stories.
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1082
    Geek-Cred : 7

Batman: Death in the Family Trailer (Totally not what I expected!) Empty Re: Batman: Death in the Family Trailer (Totally not what I expected!)

Post  jorowi September 30th 2020, 2:07 pm

Intriguing. Maybe I'll buy a Blu-ray player now!
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 834
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  AGoodReed February 20th 2021, 9:55 pm

Well, this is lame. I was hoping to be able to rent the Death in the Family Blu-ray disc from Redbox, but they still don't carry it. They only have the on-demand version available online. HBO Max has it, too. But not only does the on-demand version not include the interactive feature, it only shows one of the storylines. All you get is a narrated recap of the events of Under the Red Hood with a bit more prologue, a couple voice actor changes, and a cameo at the end when you see who Bruce Wayne is telling the story to (it's not much of a surprise).

You also get the other DC animated shorts that have been compiled, like the Sgt. Rock one, but those were not a draw for me.

I don't know why HBO Max can't make their version interactive like the Blu-ray. Netflix has a lot of interactive shows, so it's not like the technology isn't there. They could at least include every version of the Death in the Family film, even if you have to watch the framing device over again in each one.

As it is, the only way to see the whole thing is to buy the Blu-ray or borrow it from someone who did. Boo.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter February 22nd 2021, 1:06 pm

Oh, that IS lame. Not seeing it listed in the Coming Soon section of Redbox either. But thanks for bringing this up. I had honestly forgotten all about it and would still like to find a low-cost way of checking it out at some point.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is March 28th 2024, 6:33 pm