Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

Even more Tom King comic stuff about God

AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 834
    Geek-Cred : 4

Even more Tom King comic stuff about God Empty Even more Tom King comic stuff about God

Post  AGoodReed June 16th 2021, 1:52 pm

This is the end of a short story from Action Comics #1000. It was written by good ol' Tom King, and it seems to take place in a future where the sun has burned up the earth or somesuch. Obviously, Superman has survived, and he's talking to his parents at their grave, and he gets kind of profound. I'm not really sure what to make of it.

Even more Tom King comic stuff about God Tumblr11

I he saying that religion is just a story? Or is he putting religion and science on the same level, something mainstream writers don't usually do? What do you think?
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Even more Tom King comic stuff about God Empty Re: Even more Tom King comic stuff about God

Post  Paeter June 17th 2021, 11:40 am

His comment about "stardust" reminds me of a Carl Sagan quote in a video series he famously made, using the same term. I'm pretty sure Sagan was a naturalist (though perhaps agnostic?), and yet he seemed to want to infuse natural things with the language of spirituality and clearly wanted to believe in objective meaning and purpose.

I just heard a similar sentiment the other day, about how since every element in our bodies originates from the big bang, we long to go upward into space. (It was Todd Howard, while promoting the video game Starfield, now that I think of it.)

Now, in my preferred head-canon, I would want to read this page with the understanding that Pa Kent saw his Christian faith and science to be compatible, and both dealing in the pursuit of what is true of the universe and our place in it. But I can only speculate about what King meant for him to be saying.

Current date/time is March 28th 2024, 6:27 pm