Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Lightraiders: First Watch

jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1082
    Geek-Cred : 7

Lightraiders: First Watch Empty Lightraiders: First Watch

Post  jorowi August 18th 2021, 1:20 pm

On a whim, I supported this Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lightraiders/first-watch

Lightraiders: First Watch Ddd328b6b8df5234863248ba03dbf244_original.png?ixlib=rb-4.0

Once the game arrives, I'll play with my kids and provide a review. Watch this thread for a link to the review (probably 4-6 weeks).

Russell Smith likes this post

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Lightraiders: First Watch Empty Re: Lightraiders: First Watch

Post  Paeter August 18th 2021, 5:01 pm

Looking forward to it, John!
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings August 18th 2021, 8:20 pm

Sounds good.
    Looking forward to getting your thoughts. Apparently, Lightriders made some waves at Realm Makers this year.
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Post  jorowi August 19th 2021, 8:58 am

I have the original DragonRaid boxed set. It's not the greatest RPG but I think they've tweaked the rules recently.
    Russell Smith
    Russell Smith

Activity : 10
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  Russell Smith August 23rd 2021, 8:42 am

jorowi wrote:I have the original DragonRaid boxed set. It's not the greatest RPG but I think they've tweaked the rules recently.

I was really intrigued by the DragonRaid concept when I first learned about it a couple weeks ago. I was thinking of picking up a set but it got put on the backburner as life continued Smile . Would you be willing to lay out what some of the strengths and weaknesses were from your point of view?

I have used the old d6 based Starwars system and the Serenity system to run small campaigns for jr highs I was discipling. I found the Empire mapped pretty nicely onto the Roman Empire for the sake of running through some of the decisions the early church had to make and imagining things from that perspective. As well as just leading into basic discussions around light and darkness, redemption, and positive versus negative character traits and teamwork strategies. The Serenity system I just used a backdrop for a quick 'space zombies' arc exploring power in the blood imagery, and enemy love.

I would love to hear how effective / engaging you found the DragonRaid system and if you had any positive or negative experiences either playing it or gming it.
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Post  jorowi August 25th 2021, 7:47 am

Russell Smith wrote:
    Would you be willing to lay out what some of the strengths and weaknesses were from your point of view?

I haven't played it since the late 80's early 90's but here's what I remember:

We scrapped most of the game mechanics and kept the theme/world of the game. We used the AD&D rules and Monster Manual (except for demons). We adapted the character traits from DragonRaid to AD&D and used AD&D game mechanics. We used the following character classes: Fighter, Priest, Paladin, & Ranger. Every character type could "cast spells". We used the scripture memorization portion of the rules as "spells". Difficulty and success were based on the length of the passage and how well you memorized it.

That's all I can remember. We played it in my youth group and had anywhere from 7-15 players per campaign. It was a lot of fun because of the people there not because it was a great system.

Russell Smith likes this post

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter August 26th 2021, 3:44 pm

[quote="jorowi"]
    Russell Smith wrote:

We scrapped most of the game mechanics and kept the theme/world of the game. We used the AD&D rules and Monster Manual (except for demons). We adapted the character traits from DragonRaid to AD&D and used AD&D game mechanics. We used the following character classes: Fighter, Priest, Paladin, & Ranger. Every character type could "cast spells". We used the scripture memorization portion of the rules as "spells". Difficulty and success were based on the length of the passage and how well you memorized it.

Dude this sounds so cool!
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Post  jorowi November 15th 2021, 4:01 pm

My review of First Watch is up! I haven't really played through a full game yet. Like I said in the video, I learn card games by watching and I've yet to find a demo/play-through from the publisher.

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter November 15th 2021, 8:36 pm

Cool! Don't think it's my kind of game, but appreciated learning about it from your video!

jorowi likes this post

jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Post  jorowi November 18th 2021, 9:58 am

Not for me either. The publisher did acknowledge they needed to put up a playthrough video.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is March 28th 2024, 3:44 am