Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

how do you write Audio Dramas?

PhoenixFire
    PhoenixFire

Activity : 84
    Geek-Cred : 3

how do you write Audio Dramas? Empty how do you write Audio Dramas?

Post  PhoenixFire December 9th 2011, 12:13 pm

So yesterday I tried my hand at writing a Audio Drama, it took me 30 minutes to get six lines of dialogue when I probably could have had a entire page writing it as a novel. I want to get better at writing scripts but I'm not sure how to go about it.

How do you all write audio dramas? do your write the story and then transpose it into audio drama format? do you write just the Dialogue and then add sound and music queue later? or do you write it all the way through just the way it will become with sound effects, music and dialogue all at the beginning?

Thanks
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

how do you write Audio Dramas? Empty Re: how do you write Audio Dramas?

Post  Nathan James Norman December 9th 2011, 3:18 pm

There's a helpful lesson that I found here: http://www.ruyasonic.com/wrt_cues.htm

And you can also download a free and very useful MS Word Template for writing this way here: http://www.ruyasonic.com/wrt_template.htm

I typically use the template above and write it out with all the cues and sound effects as I'm writing because I'm "living the story" in the moment. I find screenplays/audio dramas typically getting written faster than novels because I'm really only offering dialogue, and some narration in the form of direction, sfx and cues.
    PhoenixFire
    PhoenixFire

Activity : 84
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  PhoenixFire December 11th 2011, 9:09 pm

Ok, I finished the Prologue. It's getting easier. Thanks for your help. Smile
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Post  Nathan James Norman December 12th 2011, 10:15 am

I'm glad you found it helpful!
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter December 12th 2011, 2:12 pm

I haven't settled into a uniform technique yet. (I'm still learning a lot about writing!)

But with SB3 I outlined the crap out of it. Then filled in my outline with more detailed outlining, rinse and repeat. Then, once I knew what was supposed to happen and what details had to be covered in each scene, I started writing the dialogue.

These days I leave a LOT of sound cues out, because I have the luxury of not having to trust another director to insert the right sounds. So I keep half of the sound cues in my head and explain things to actors as we read through it.

Using the free "Celtix" script writing software for the first time with this script and I love it!

But for SB1 I put a TON of SFX description and cues all over the place.

Long story short... I don't really write for other people, so I'm not much good for advice on this one. Sounds like you're off to a good start, though! Have fun!
    Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  Hackmodford December 12th 2011, 3:21 pm

I find that I had the most fun converting a novel to an audio drama... but none of my writing/adaptations have ever got to the public Wink

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is March 28th 2024, 8:06 am