Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+34
Russell Smith
AGoodReed
Willix
Treasure Hunter
HeavensDisciples
Carlos Phillips
Reed Benson
AdamCollings
landofzion
jazzact13
Morfinwen
fxruizx
Changer4
Introspect
Jeffrywith1e
mikel.withers
Nathan James Norman
rossmcclure4
Godfixated
bellamoto
tmorrill
disneydreamer20
Dreamerhorwitz
Rickster
45shiro45
DNArington
UKSteve
TheTJ
ComiKate
WhiteBoy
jorowi
hvymtlcowboy
Paeter
Drew.Rub
38 posters

Introductions

fxruizx
    fxruizx

Activity : 169
    Geek-Cred : 1

Introductions - Page 6 Empty Re: Introductions

Post  fxruizx July 10th 2017, 5:48 pm

Welcome Carlos!
    Hey I think we follow eachother on instagram already (either @fxruizx or @retrorewindpod look familiar?) - WORLDS COLLIDING lol!

I have only read the first book in The Foundation trilogy and liked it pretty well, would you recommend anything else of Asimov's?

Nice set of movies you like Very Happy - curious which of these three geekdom camps you would fall into the most: Star Wars, Star Trek, Dr. Who?

Glad you're here!
    - Francisco
    (P.S. Paeter is gone for a few more days on vacation, if you wonder why he hasn't said hi Wink )
    Carlos Phillips
    Carlos Phillips

Activity : 29
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  Carlos Phillips July 10th 2017, 10:36 pm

Hey Francisco. Thanks for the warm welcome. Yeah, I follow the Retro Rewind Podcast and @retrorewindpod on Instagram. Love the set up of the podcast. My favorite has been the Uncle Buck episode (another movie favorite).

In terms of Issac Asimov books I really enjoyed the Robot Novels, especially The Caves of Steel, The Naked Sun and The Robots of Dawn. Robot Dreams was good too (a collection of short stories with robots as the focal point).

As for the 3 camps you mentioned I would have to fall into the Dr. Who camp (especially with David Tennant).
    Reed Benson
    Reed Benson

Activity : 406

Post  Reed Benson July 11th 2017, 4:19 am

Welcome aboard, Carlos! What comics are you reading now that you've started again? Mostly Marvel, or do you dabble in DC or other publishers?

How much Ted Dekker have your read? I really liked Thr3e and the Circle Trilogy (never read the extra fourth one, though). My sister likes his books so much, she named her dog after him.
    fxruizx
    fxruizx

Activity : 169

Post  fxruizx July 11th 2017, 8:51 am

Carlos Phillips wrote:Yeah, I follow the Retro Rewind Podcast and @retrorewindpod on Instagram. Love the set up of the podcast. My favorite has been the Uncle Buck episode (another movie favorite).
    Wow thank you Very Happy for listening to our show!

Also for thanks for the Asimov recommendations - I forgot that he wrote several robot books, and having not read any of them yet, it's good to know which ones are worth focusing on!

Regarding Dr. Who - you are in the same camp as my wife—Tennant is her fave also. As for me, I am more a Star Wars fan, and one of those odd birds that likes Return of the Jedi, over Empire Strikes Back affraid

jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1094
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  jorowi July 11th 2017, 1:54 pm

Welcome to the forum, Carlos. Please submit your DNA verification. I promise it won't hurt. Much. OK, it hurts a lot!

Twitter
    Instagram
    Carlos Phillips
    Carlos Phillips

Post  Carlos Phillips July 11th 2017, 9:06 pm

Reed Benson wrote:Welcome aboard, Carlos! What comics are you reading now that you've started again? Mostly Marvel, or do you dabble in DC or other publishers?

How much Ted Dekker have your read? I really liked Thr3e and the Circle Trilogy (never read the extra fourth one, though). My sister likes his books so much, she named her dog after him.

Thanks for the welcome Reed. Since starting comics again so far I've only bought a bunch of Christian comics with Ted Dekker's Circle series (visual edition) being one of them, which I haven't read yet. I used to mostly buy Marvel (West Coast Avengers, New Mutants, Uncanny X-Men, Micronauts, Power Pack, Fantasic Four, etc.) with the occasional DC comic. Aside from the Christian comics I haven't started anything yet. I was thinking about buying the Marvel Zombies collection and looking for not so expensive back issues of Metal Men. Any suggestions for good comic book series?

The Ted Dekker books I read are Immanuel's Veins, Outlaw, The Book of Mortals Trilogy, Burn, Kiss, A.D. 30 and I'm currently reading A.D. 33.
    Carlos Phillips
    Carlos Phillips

Post  Carlos Phillips July 11th 2017, 9:14 pm

fxruizx wrote:
    Carlos Phillips wrote:Yeah, I follow the Retro Rewind Podcast and @retrorewindpod on Instagram. Love the set up of the podcast. My favorite has been the Uncle Buck episode (another movie favorite).
    Wow thank you Very Happy for listening to our show!

Also for thanks for the Asimov recommendations - I forgot that he wrote several robot books, and having not read any of them yet, it's good to know which ones are worth focusing on!

Regarding Dr. Who - you are in the same camp as my wife—Tennant is her fave also. As for me, I am more a Star Wars fan, and one of those odd birds that likes Return of the Jedi, over Empire Strikes Back affraid

I've been getting into Star Wars more since Disney World has all that Star Wars stuff in it now and I'm all about Disney World, but I definitely like the older Star Wars movies better. Been meaning to watch Movies 1-6 in order but haven't gotten around to it.

Last edited by Carlos Phillips on July 11th 2017, 9:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Carlos Phillips
    Carlos Phillips

Post  Carlos Phillips July 11th 2017, 9:24 pm

jorowi wrote:Welcome to the forum, Carlos. Please submit your DNA verification. I promise it won't hurt. Much. OK, it hurts a lot!

Thanks for the welcome John. DNA verification?affraid What have I gotten myself into? lol!
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster July 11th 2017, 11:44 pm

Carlos Phillips wrote:
    jorowi wrote:Welcome to the forum, Carlos. Please submit your DNA verification. I promise it won't hurt. Much. OK, it hurts a lot!

Thanks for the welcome John. DNA verification?affraid What have I gotten myself into? lol!

Just call 555-4DNA and they'll give you samples that will pass the verification process
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings July 11th 2017, 11:58 pm

G'day Carlos.
    Welcome to the forums.

So, after that final scene in this year's Doctor Who finale, are you looking forward to the Christmas special?
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter July 12th 2017, 1:56 pm

Carlos Phillips wrote:

That's just a reference to the intro of the Spirit Blade Underground Podcast. Please do not mail me any DNA samples. lol!

WELCOME, CARLOS!

Figures I'd be on vacation when you drop by.

I've fallen away from comic book fandom in recent years, but I can relate to getting into comics through a crossover event like Secret War. For me it was the DC parallel, Crisis On Infinite Earths, that got me primed for DC continuity.

I've dropped superhero books but may get into other comic genres like sci-fi or fantasy at some point.

Have you tried the Strangers & Aliens Podcast? Ben Avery is a comic writer and co-host of that show. If memory serves he's done some of the writing on Dekker comic adaptations.

Welcome again!

www.spiritblade.com
    Reed Benson
    Reed Benson

Activity : 406

Post  Reed Benson July 12th 2017, 7:46 pm

Carlos Phillips wrote:Thanks for the welcome Reed. Since starting comics again so far I've only bought a bunch of Christian comics with Ted Dekker's Circle series (visual edition) being one of them, which I haven't read yet. I used to mostly buy Marvel (West Coast Avengers, New Mutants, Uncanny X-Men, Micronauts, Power Pack, Fantasic Four, etc.)  with the occasional DC comic. Aside from the Christian comics I haven't started anything yet. I was thinking about buying the Marvel Zombies collection and looking for not so expensive back issues of Metal Men. Any suggestions for good comic book series?

I'm not one to give recommendations for current series as I live in China and it's harder to get comics here. But my favorite comics series I can remember are Robert Kirkman's Invincible (from Image Comics) and the Ultimate Spider-Man series from the Ultimate Marvel line. Be aware that Invincible can be quite dark and gory at times.

If you want to explore stuff aside from superheroes, I recommend the graphic novels Anya's Ghost, Zita the Spacegirl, and American Born Chinese.

Pro tip: some public libraries have surprisingly good collections of graphic novels and trade paperbacks, and you can often even get more through inter-library loan.
    Carlos Phillips
    Carlos Phillips

Post  Carlos Phillips July 12th 2017, 9:30 pm

Rickster wrote:

Just call 555-4DNA and they'll give you samples that will pass the verification process

Sounds good. I'm on it Laughing
    Carlos Phillips
    Carlos Phillips

Post  Carlos Phillips July 12th 2017, 9:36 pm

AdamCollings wrote:G'day Carlos.
    Welcome to the forums.

So, after that final scene in this year's Doctor Who finale, are you looking forward to the Christmas special?

I'm actually so behind on Dr. Who. I'm on season 8 episode 12. I'm so behind on everything Shocked but that's ok, I'll get there eventually Laughing
    Carlos Phillips
    Carlos Phillips

Post  Carlos Phillips July 12th 2017, 9:51 pm

Paeter wrote:
    WELCOME, CARLOS!

Figures I'd be on vacation when you drop by.

I've fallen away from comic book fandom in recent years, but I can relate to getting into comics through a crossover event like Secret War. For me it was the DC parallel, Crisis On Infinite Earths, that got me primed for DC continuity.

I've dropped superhero books but may get into other comic genres like sci-fi or fantasy at some point.

Have you tried the Strangers & Aliens Podcast? Ben Avery is a comic writer and co-host of that show. If memory serves he's done some of the writing on Dekker comic adaptations.

Welcome again!

Thanks for the welcome Paeter.

I actually listen to the Strangers and Aliens Podcast (good stuff) and have a few comics that Ben Avery wrote.

Love your You Tube content and so glad I joined the forum Very Happy

Carlos Phillips
    Carlos Phillips

Post  Carlos Phillips July 12th 2017, 9:55 pm

Reed Benson wrote:
    I'm not one to give recommendations for current series as I live in China and it's harder to get comics here. But my favorite comics series I can remember are Robert Kirkman's Invincible (from Image Comics) and the Ultimate Spider-Man series from the Ultimate Marvel line. Be aware that Invincible can be quite dark and gory at times.

If you want to explore stuff aside from superheroes, I recommend the graphic novels Anya's Ghost, Zita the Spacegirl, and American Born Chinese.

Pro tip: some public libraries have surprisingly good collections of graphic novels and trade paperbacks, and you can often even get more through inter-library loan.

Thanks for the recommendations. I really like the library idea. My library doesn't have much but I never tried inter-library loan. I'll have to check into that.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings July 13th 2017, 7:25 pm

[quote="Carlos Phillips"]
    AdamCollings wrote:I'm actually so behind on Dr. Who. I'm on season 8 episode 12. I'm so behind on everything Shocked but that's ok, I'll get there eventually Laughing
    No worries.
    I shall so no more. Smile
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter July 17th 2017, 11:57 am

Carlos Phillips wrote:

I'm actually so behind on Dr. Who. I'm on season 8 episode 12. I'm so behind on everything Shocked but that's ok, I'll get there eventually Laughing

Jealous!!!

That is such a cool state to be in for a series you're really enjoying!

www.spiritblade.com
    Carlos Phillips
    Carlos Phillips

Post  Carlos Phillips July 17th 2017, 1:29 pm

Paeter wrote:

Totally agree. I'm enjoying the ride afro
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings July 17th 2017, 6:55 pm

Paeter wrote:
    Carlos Phillips wrote:
    Jealous!!!

Interesting statement there Paeter. I'm assuming you say this because when you're behind, it means you're not likely to run out any time soon.

I say this is interesting because I've spent so much of my life "behind" in stuff I love, and being extremely jealous of Americans, who got stuff a year (or years) ahead of me.
    This was particularly bad in the 90s with Star Trek. the internet was coming into prominence. I was involved in Usenet groups, they were talking about all this exciting stuff that I wouldn't see for at least a year. These days, most content tends to be made available at the same time globally, and before the internet, well, it didn't matter, because we didn't know any different.

Just goes to show we should be content in our circumstances, because you can be jealous from either side of the fence.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter July 18th 2017, 9:35 am

AdamCollings wrote:
    Paeter wrote:
    Carlos Phillips wrote:
    Jealous!!!

Interesting statement there Paeter. I'm assuming you say this because when you're behind, it means you're not likely to run out any time soon.

I say this is interesting because I've spent so much of my life "behind" in stuff I love, and being extremely jealous of Americans, who got stuff a year (or years) ahead of me.

Well I can see the frustration in getting content on a delay. I was thinking more about the scenario where you're behind on a show and most or all of it is available to you when you have time to catch up at your own pace. I love, for example, discovering a new author that I love, knowing that the great read I've found has 12 books in the series that follow it. Which means I get to enjoy this kind of experience for a loooooong time to come!

www.spiritblade.com
    HeavensDisciples
    HeavensDisciples

Activity : 8

Introductions - Page 6 Empty Rodney AKA Heave's Disciples

Post  HeavensDisciples May 7th 2018, 2:40 pm

Hi, I'm Rodney AKA HeavensDisciples. afro I'm an entrepreneur building an online entertainment company featuring books, comics, films, games, music, merchandise, and clothing.

I was referred to this forum by a friend named Richard AKA Rich Manna of Introspective Sounds.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings May 7th 2018, 6:27 pm

How's it going Rodney. Sounds like you're among friends.
    HeavensDisciples
    HeavensDisciples

Activity : 8

Post  HeavensDisciples May 7th 2018, 8:53 pm

AdamCollings wrote:How's it going Rodney. Sounds like you're among friends.

All is well. Thanks, Adam. I'm glad to be here.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter May 8th 2018, 8:28 am

Hi Rodney! Welcome! So what kind of geeky stuff are you into?

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content