Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+4
Rickster
WuLongTi
Paeter
Hackmodford
8 posters

iPhone Game Project

PhoenixFire
    PhoenixFire

Activity : 84
    Geek-Cred : 3

iPhone Game Project - Page 4 Empty Re: iPhone Game Project

Post  PhoenixFire March 23rd 2012, 6:48 pm

Hackmodford wrote:Also did we decide this would be an adventure game?

Oh! I forgot about that. A while ago I discovered a HUGE set of intermediate level tutorials on how to make a hack & slash RPG in Unity, I started it, but got pulled away and never finished, would love to give it another shot. I'm fine doing whatever, but the doing those Tutorials (or any other set for that matter) would give us a good foundation to build from, and I still don't quite feel capable of coding everything from scratch yet. scratch

PhoenixFire
    PhoenixFire

Post  PhoenixFire April 7th 2012, 9:03 pm

Well then, I guess my idea of making it an RPG didn't really generate any interest, (I at least thought Paeter would have been excited Wink ) oh well..

Let me restate that ANY genera would be fun to work on, with maybe the exception of a bejeweled clone. affraid An RPG (which in actuality would have been better described as a Adventure game with a leveling system) would be fun, but so would a FPS or a standard Action/Adventure, so I'm up for anything!

Upon contemplation though, it would probably be better to decide who the story is about, and let that dictate the type of game-play, for instance, did Isaiah(assuming that's who the game is focused on, I don't have an opinion either way) tend to fight with guns (indicating an FPS-type game)? Or did he prefer a Mace and Meracli approach (which would lean towards a more hack-&-slash adventure game)? Or a mix of both? Again, I don't really care one way or another.

Paeter, you said that you had a story about Isaiah? What is it about?
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy April 8th 2012, 10:18 am

I think an RPG is a really good idea. That's actually my first choice for a PC or console (maybe even web) platform and I see that having a lot of possibilities. If we're talking phone and web, I think simpler is better. And being our first project like this maybe starting simple would be better and then working our way to a more complicated game.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter April 9th 2012, 7:03 pm

PhoenixFire wrote:Well then, I guess my idea of making it an RPG didn't really generate any interest, (I at least thought Paeter would have been excited Wink ) oh well..

Paeter, you said that you had a story about Isaiah? What is it about?

Sorry that my silence gave the wrong impression. I think an RPG would be great! I just want to allow this project to go where those producing it will be excited to take it. I'm so inept when it comes to computers that I don't trust myself to be the one spearheading and motivating this project. (There is also a time-budgeting issue, which I hope to compensate for by recruiting a Producer to carry the weight of the SBUA, but more on that another time and place.)

As for the story, MindSpike wrote it, although it's not complete. I could either look for someone in the community to finish it (or at least an outline that finishes it) and use that for the plot of a game. It could also be mined for ideas or just left out of the equation altogether.

I know MindSpike has a lot on his plate, and he wrote it and delivered it to me with the understanding that I could finish it or do what I want with it, but I'd still like to give him a chance to chime in here if he's interested in finishing it himself or if he even thinks it lends itself to a game story at all.

Any thoughts, Mindspike?
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike April 10th 2012, 12:11 am

I don't think that particular story would make for a good game, and I do have an outline of the project. That story does need to be delivered complete to Paeter, and I'll make sure it happens before the end of May. As to an RPG, I agree that a good RPG needs a good story as a basis. I'm in to help with outlining an RPG project. I've worked on the story end of video game projects before, and it's a truckload of work.

The forum seems unlikely to support level of communication and file sharing necessary to make a project like this work. Does this project have another venue and a project manager?
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter April 10th 2012, 5:20 pm

mindspike wrote:

The forum seems unlikely to support level of communication and file sharing necessary to make a project like this work. Does this project have another venue and a project manager?

If that's the case, maybe the project manager (are you volunteering?) can set up another venue but this thread can still be an entry point for the project, or a new thread can be started when appropriate to give project updates and provide a place for people to learn about the project and volunteer to help if they'd like.

For now, what would you think if we kept this thread going just long enough to figure out a bit more of what the project will be and who would like to be involved doing what?

Sounds like the most recent folks active on this thread are leaning toward an action RPG, so why don't I just make that call official and say that's what we're aiming for. The rest can be worked out from that starting point.

Anyone up for "project manager"?

(As for completing the Isaiah prequel story, Mindspike, PLEASE don't pressure yourself to finish it, and CERTAINLY don't feel like you need a deadline.)
    PhoenixFire
    PhoenixFire

Post  PhoenixFire April 25th 2012, 11:28 am

Ok, I've thought and prayed about it a lot, and seeing that no one else has posted about the position, I will. I'll volunteer for project lead.

Be warned though, I have absolutely no experience leading a group, so please bare with me as I try figure it out. And any advice/comments along the way would be appreciated Very Happy

Also, there are still quite a few aspects of game-creation that I don't know a whole lot about, so progress might slow down when we hit those areas while I try to get a handle on them.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter April 26th 2012, 6:57 pm

PhoenixFire wrote:Ok, I've thought and prayed about it a lot, and seeing that no one else has posted about the position, I will. I'll volunteer for project lead.

Woohoo! Thanks, PhoenixFire!

Don't worry about the stuff you don't know. The most valuable thing you can bring is to just keep people engaged with the project and see it forward one baby step at a time.

If you ever want to talk shop or troubleshoot organizational/leadership stuff, feel free to e-mail/message me any time. I'm no expert but I'm happy to help however I can!

Whenever you're ready, let us know how you'd like to proceed.

Thanks again!
    PhoenixFire
    PhoenixFire

Post  PhoenixFire May 20th 2012, 8:49 pm

Wow! I did not mean to be gone for so long! Embarassed

Haven't done a whole lot with the project, But I thought I’d at least throw out some ideas I’ve had,

Thinking in terms of game-play, the main questions I'm tackling is what would make this game fun, and what would make it distinctly different from other games.

I struggled trying to answer those questions for a while, but then it suddenly hit me. This game is about Spirit Blade, so what makes Spirit Blade different?

For me, it's not the fact that it IS the only Sci-fi Christian Audio drama. It's tha fact that Spirit Blade is not just a sci-fi story set in a dystopic future world where conspiracies are everywhere and monopolizing corporations vie for power and control. Nor is it just a standard sword and sorcery fantasy story where the hero is trying to find a ancient tome that wields incredible power. Nor is it a just a supernatural thriller where the main character battles demons and other unearthly creatures across two separate dimensions, trying to thwart their masterplan to conquer the world. All those can and have made good stories. But what makes Spirit Blade Spirit Blade is that it combines all those stories into one incomparable epic. Thinking long those lines, It became a lot easier to tell how a game set in the same setting could be different. Very Happy

Thinking along those lines, these were some of the ideas I had of to make the game different and fun:

The ability to "Shift" to the spirit world and back, where your enemies, and possibly fighting style will change (Instead of troopers there will be demons of various castes,)

When in the real world, if you cause a disturbance, or are recognized by the guards as a "Seeker", the guards will sound an alarm and begin firing at you. you will have the option to fight back, but you can't do so for long because guards will continue to spawn nearby for as long as the alarm is sounding. You will have to flee in hopes of losing your pursuers until the alarm is over, when you can venture back out. (Similar to some of the game-play in Red Faction: Guerrilla)

The tutorial series I'm following for the games foundation (which they are designign as a fantasy game) has six major combat skills (With the option to add more if desired.) which are Melee, Ranged, and Magic Offenses and Defenses. That triggered the thought that even though Spirit Blade is Sci-Fi, the Characters in it use melee weapons alot. So why not have that option in the game as well?

Melee will be the use of/protection against swords, spears, axes, etc., either in the real world or the spirit world.
    Ranged will be the use of/protection against firearms and blasters etc., either in the real world or the spirit world.
    Magic will be the use of/protection against meracli attacks (I need to know how to spell this!) This is just to be used in the spirit world. (It was just in the spirit world, right Paeter?)

There are also three "Vitals" in the tutorials which are Health, Energy, and Mana(which I changed to Spirit Razz )

An idea I had was that when in the spirit world, your Spirit bar becomes your health bar, and slowly decreases for the duration of time you remain in the spirit world. I would like to stress the point that the lord Nephilim points out in the first spirit blade "that mortals are so fragile in this plain.."

What do you all think about it? Does anyone have any other suggestions about game-play or anything else?

I found a Design Document Template and posted it Here, which I will edit and fill out more as we decide more things. (Maybe a Mod could sticky it for me Very Happy )
    PhoenixFire
    PhoenixFire

Post  PhoenixFire November 3rd 2012, 1:47 am

WOW! if anybody needs an example of MAJOR dereliction of duty, look no further then here. I'm SO sorry guys! Embarassed

I Haven't worked on the project in a long time, and probably won't be able to for a little while still, but life is kind'a getting in the way, and it annoys the heck out of me! Mad

I've really been struggling with priorities recently. I've pretty much graduated high-school (got a thing or two to finish up) and am trying to sort out how to best go about getting where I want to go. Any prayer regarding this would be completely awesome!

My problem is that I want to do everything, I want to write books, and produce video games, movies, and audio dramas. So pretty much anything that takes place in the entertainment industry is something I have an interest in. Which is a ton to try to learn and do all at the same time.

The course of action that I deemed the best was to try and focus my attention to a single aspect that crossed between the mediums, and become proficient and skilled in it before moving on to something more unique to it's medium, like coding. The aspect that jumped out at me was sound. It was the only thing I could think of that bridged most (if not all) of the things I was interested in. So I could work on making an audio drama and still learn fundamentals and techniques that would be applicable to both movies and video games! Sounds like a winner (No pun intended Razz)!

Thus, I've been scriptwriting a lot lately, which is mostly to blame for the lack of progress on the game, and I don't see myself finishing that for a long time. I’ve cut back on all the forums I’m on in a attempt to grab up a little more time, but since I’ve decided on perusing audio dramas, I get to come back here! YAY!

I still love this project and want to work on it, so don't think this is me giving up, this is just an update on what's going on with my lack of progress.

On a positive note, I finished one of my stories!! I've submitted it to a contest and am waiting to hear back. I'll probably release it when the contest is over, or, based on the results, maybe try and sell it, maybe. I'm not really sure if I want to do that. I REALLY don't want to be one of those Christians who charges tons of money for awful stuff, and then complains about lack of sales Mad

Anyway, as for progress:
    I found some free (although fairly crappy) city models, they're not bad for placeholder, but beyond that... Evil or Very Mad

Still have a major bug in the targeting GUI I'm trying to work out (Or was before I paused).

I know there're others, both good and bad, but I can't remember all of them. I’m actually impressed with the look and feel of it, even this early, The basic aesthetic just kind’a says Spirit Blade Smile
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster December 26th 2012, 11:48 pm

i don't know anything about programing and I'm a crappy artist but if there is a way I can help please let me know

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is March 28th 2024, 3:55 am