Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Mixing with the world

UKSteve
    UKSteve

Activity : 354
    Geek-Cred : 10

Mixing with the world Empty Mixing with the world

Post  UKSteve July 14th 2013, 3:46 pm

I'm going to throw this one out here because it's on my mind, and I'm hoping some of you geeky introverted types will be able to relate.

Anyway, background: this month I am participating in CampNaNoWriMo, and yesterday family arrangements fell such that I was able to attend my first write-in (which is where a bunch of people all attempting it get together to chat and write).

As I mentioned, I'm the introverted type of geek, and getting to know new people doesn't come naturally to me, so I was kind of glad the opportunity came up, but... well, maybe it's been a while since I mixed with new people outside of a church or work situation, but even so, something is bothering me. One of the good things about NaNoWriMo is it brings literally all sorts together, from every age, race, belief, sexuality etc, just because they like writing. And I thought I was fine with that, but while I can avoid it on the internet forums, in a writing group, in person... sat between one person being anti-religion and another whose every second word began with 'f'... it was a little uncomfortable.

So I guess (apart from just needing to vent that) my question is: is that just a normal part of getting into a new group of people, or could there be something more to it?

That might sound a little melodramatic, and for what its worth I almost certainly will give it a second go when I get the chance, but would appreciate any prayers for wisdom in the meantime, and if anyone has some genius piece of advice to offer... Smile
    45shiro45
    45shiro45

Activity : 45
    Geek-Cred : 2

Mixing with the world Empty Re: Mixing with the world

Post  45shiro45 July 15th 2013, 12:32 am

I can relate a bit to that. I also tend to be pretty introverted, but I also tend to get along with anybody. These situations happen a lot for me in places like anime clubs and such. I think anime fandom is pretty dominated by worldviews at odds with Christianity.

It's not exactly comfortable, but on the other hand, I don't understand why sometimes we think we need to hold non-Christians to the standards of Christianity. Jesus never made people accept him before he loved them. I guess I just came to the conclusion that the love I show them has to be the same as Christ's, regardless of how uncomfortable it makes me sometimes. (Not that I'm very good at it)... :-/ One of my best friends in my last anime club before I moved was a bi-sexual atheist, (the other was a lapsed Catholic) but we got along fine. I probably should be praying for him a lot more than I do...

What's also really funny is that half the time I hear people griping about religion, if I was to be rational as opposed to emotionally tied to my particular camp, I'd have to admit they're usually right... (About RELIGION, mind you, not Jesus)...
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter July 15th 2013, 9:05 pm

UKSteve wrote: One of the good things about NaNoWriMo is it brings literally all sorts together, from every age, race, belief, sexuality etc, just because they like writing. And I thought I was fine with that, but while I can avoid it on the internet forums, in a writing group, in person... sat between one person being anti-religion and another whose every second word began with 'f'... it was a little uncomfortable.

This is a wild stab in the dark, but I wonder if what you were feeling has a connection to your expectations of "fellowship" (for lack of a non-churchy word). You said that you love NanoWriMo because it brings all kinds of people together who share the common ground of writing. Maybe some part of you expected to feel kinship, but instead were struck by the ways in which you cannot connect with the people there on the common ground that's closest to your heart.

For me, I can hang with people antagonistic toward Jesus and the Bible and have a great time if we can find some other common ground. But I am rarely refreshed or energized from being around them because somewhere in my mind I'm thinking, "man they need Jesus. How can I facilitate that?" My mind is always at work trying to figure out how, in a given moment, I can love on them and be a small, subtle stepping stone to Jesus.

When I want to be creatively recharged, I hang with like-minded Christian geeks or (more commonly) take in fiction and entertainment that's done well without distracting anti-Christian sentiments. Not that I don't take inspiration from creative sources that are antagonistic toward Christianity. I just don't go to those places and people expecting to be recharged and inspired.

www.spiritblade.com
    UKSteve
    UKSteve

Activity : 354
    Geek-Cred : 10

Post  UKSteve July 16th 2013, 5:10 pm

Paeter, I suspect your wild stab may be a little closer to home than I'd like to admit! I think, ultimately, I have to accept that at least some members of the group are not going to be my new best friends, and try to find those I can connect better with.

I still can't explain why it bothered me as much as it did; when I have been away mixing with fellow car geeks who also swear like proverbial troopers and think my quaint religious practices are something worth mocking, I've just been able to take it in my stride.

Anyway, for now I'm taking the approach of not writing it off (pun unavoidable) after one shot, and hoping that next time I won't feel such a total outsider and can start to make something of it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 7th 2024, 5:48 pm