Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Lack of Precision

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Lack of Precision Empty Lack of Precision

Post  Paeter July 30th 2010, 5:02 pm

Remixing the scene where Isaiah and Merikk discuss the crucifixion and the Trinity. I'd use more precise language today, but oh well. I don't think I'll lead anyone into heresy and at least the mix sounds a lot better!

www.spiritblade.com
    Rohelf
    Rohelf

Activity : 142
    Geek-Cred : 0

Lack of Precision Empty Re: Lack of Precision

Post  Rohelf August 2nd 2010, 2:38 pm

Huh... out of curiosity, what phrases would you change if you could?
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter August 2nd 2010, 2:50 pm

Rohelf wrote:Huh... out of curiosity, what phrases would you change if you could?

I'd have to dig into the text again (not in front of me) but one I remember would be when Isaiah says that Yeisou was "one part of the same whole, the same being" and technically, God does not have "parts". Anything with "parts" in finite, so I'd pick another word. Not sure what though. The challenge in writing theology scenes in these stories is to make them accurate but understandable and not make characters sound like experts or scholars who shouldn't.

www.spiritblade.com
    Rohelf
    Rohelf

Activity : 142
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  Rohelf August 2nd 2010, 3:00 pm

That makes sense. I can see how it's hard to keep that kind of exposition both precise and in-character.

As far as other words in that instance, maybe "aspect"? Or is that a little too dry/scholarly for how you envision Isaiah thinking?

(I know it's a moot point in the mix, but it's always good for us to discuss precise but not-too-obscure terms to get these concepts across, in case we find ourselves needing to explain them to someone.)
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike September 2nd 2010, 2:11 pm

A person who seemed wise once said that "... religion is complicated, and convoluted ..." It is a natural instinct of the intellectual to rise to the challenge of grasping material which is intellectually difficult.

By contrast, the Truth of Scripture is informed intellectually, and understood spiritually by Divine Revelation. A presentation of the form of Truth of God's nature will do nothing at all for the Non-Elect, but will inform the mind of the Elect so that their spirit may receive saving Revelation.

In other words, you did good the first time. Don't complicate matters in something that is not a treatise on theology. Trust God to preserve and communicate Effective Salvation. Your participation is primarily to glorify God in the spreading of the gospel and the representation of a transformed life.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter September 3rd 2010, 12:33 am

mindspike wrote:

In other words, you did good the first time. Don't complicate matters in something that is not a treatise on theology. Trust God to preserve and communicate Effective Salvation. Your participation is primarily to glorify God in the spreading of the gospel and the representation of a transformed life.

Thanks, Winston. Absolutely agree. I'm in the wrong anytime I think someone's justification rests on my words. Just the teacher in me trying to present truth as best as I can. Wink

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 26th 2024, 10:11 am