Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+3
DNArington
jsweeney
Viewtifulzfo
7 posters

Future Podcast Ideas

Viewtifulzfo
    Viewtifulzfo

Activity : 22
    Geek-Cred : 0

Future Podcast Ideas Empty Future Podcast Ideas

Post  Viewtifulzfo October 16th 2013, 2:16 pm

So yes, this is a thread to discuss possible topics, ideas, etc. What would you like to see in future episodes? I would love to find out.
    jsweeney
    jsweeney

Activity : 30
    Geek-Cred : 3

Future Podcast Ideas Empty Re: Future Podcast Ideas

Post  jsweeney October 22nd 2013, 2:38 pm

I don't know how popular it is with hardcore gamers, but my 9 year old son is very into Minecraft and I have hung out with him in the server mode of the game.  While researching the claim of a gullible fellow parent that Minecraft is actually a Christian game (this investigation only leads to a satire site making fun of Christian memes) I found a quote from Notch in which he describes himself (possibly only half-seriously) as a nihilist.  When I read that, I realized that the things I found vaguely objectionable about the game sort of made sense.  In the game it is possible to do some pretty reprehensible things without any fear of penalty.  I've found my son setting animals on fire to get cooked meat because it is much easier than killing them and cooking them in an oven.  As an inexperienced player who has been hungry and struggled to create an oven and cook meat, I can understand the appeal, but at the same time I find the thought of burning animals alive very disturbing.  It is also possible, of course, to abuse innocent humans.  I also found my son keeping villagers confined in pens for some purpose I didn't totally understand.  Now that he's been using the gun mod, he could just as easily be using villagers for target practice, again with no fear of consequences.   I'm sure that there are a lot of games in which evil behavior is tolerated or even encouraged (GTO anyone?), but this is the one that my son plays and so it has piqued my interest.  Maybe you could do an episode about nihilism in video games, if not Minecraft in particular.  Thoughts?
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Post  DNArington October 23rd 2013, 12:01 am

I haven't caught all the way up to where you are now (I started from the beginning), so anything I suggest at this point may have been done before, but...

I would love to hear your guy's opinions on The Last of Us. There is a lot of interesting themes and ideas in that game and it has a very controversial ending. I would love to hear a spoiler filled review from you guys about it.
    Viewtifulzfo
    Viewtifulzfo

Post  Viewtifulzfo October 28th 2013, 3:55 pm

Thanks guys!

jsweeney, it's totally worth talking about game systems that allow for horrible player capabilities: especially since open world games are so big with younger folk. I imagine we can drum up an interesting discussion on that, seeing as Grand Theft Auto V came upon us. I'll admit to my own partaking of in-game chaos, but I wonder why it is we do those things? Food for thought...

DNArington, Josh Cauller is a huge fan of The Last of Us. He calls it a Hobo Combat Simulator (pretty apt from my standing). I imagine giving him more time to gush would be helpful for him Very Happy 

We'll probably add a "reader mail" sorta segment to the podcast for this purpose, answer questions and the like.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter October 28th 2013, 5:04 pm

Viewtifulzfo wrote:
    DNArington, Josh Cauller is a huge fan of The Last of Us. He calls it a Hobo Combat Simulator (pretty apt from my standing).
    lol! 

Holy crap that gave me a laugh. What the crap does that even mean?? My imagination is conjuring up craziness.

Haven't tried this game yet, but after all the buzz that off-the-wall comment might have been the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm just way too curious now.

www.spiritblade.com
    mjoshuac

Activity : 1

Post  mjoshuac October 28th 2013, 5:29 pm

A wild curiosity satiator appeared. Just Google, "Review: The Last of Us – Hobo Warfare on the DL" to see why I said it came short of being a perfect hobo warfighter (I'm new on the forum and can't post links yet).
    Viewtifulzfo
    Viewtifulzfo

Post  Viewtifulzfo October 31st 2013, 9:30 am

Alrighty, podcast 22 is done. Your questions have been answered...sort of!

Should be up on Friday/Saturday, and I will now make an official thread for it.
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster November 8th 2013, 11:12 pm

I was curious on what you guys thought about Trophies/Achievements

Do you try to collect them all? Do you not even pay attention to them? Are they a waste of time?
    Viewtifulzfo
    Viewtifulzfo

Post  Viewtifulzfo November 11th 2013, 7:49 pm

I believe we have an article in the works on that very concept.

However, we'll be glad to answer your question on the next one we record!
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter December 9th 2013, 7:03 pm

Probably too late to do this, but with Strangers and Aliens doing a list of nerd Christmas movies, have you ever thought of doing a top 5/10/20 list of video games that take place during Christmas or have a Christmas element of some kind present?

Might be tough to do. The only one I can think of is Parasite Eve (PS1).

www.spiritblade.com
    Viewtifulzfo
    Viewtifulzfo

Post  Viewtifulzfo December 9th 2013, 7:31 pm

Hm, that might be possible. I honestly can't think of many video games that take place during Christmas, though.

A short list of games, but ones that take place during Christmas (and not just coincidentally as the game goes through seasons):

Christmas NIGHTS (sorta counts)
    Max Payne (a really sad Christmas)
    Daze Before Xmas (a platformer for the SNES)
    Deathsmiles II (a shmup with a Christmas theme)
    Sam & Max: Season 2 (Santa is insane in this one, and technically takes place in November, but close enough)
    Snatcher (adventure game by Hideo Kojima, not exactly family friendly material though)
    Santa Claus Saves the Earth (yet another platformer for GBA)

I guess Home Alone games would count too, but they're horrible. Many games do have Christmas levels, though!

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter December 10th 2013, 5:51 pm

Viewtifulzfo wrote:Hm, that might be possible. I honestly can't think of many video games that take place during Christmas, though.

The Christams thing can be pretty loosely attached. So a game that just has one Christmas level would totally fit the bill in my book. And I'm amazed you thought of so many that had Christmas so central to the backdrop. Totally forgot about Max Payne! Another great "Christmas" game!

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster December 20th 2013, 7:54 pm

Doesn't the new Arkham game Arkaham Origins take place during Christmas?
    Viewtifulzfo
    Viewtifulzfo

Post  Viewtifulzfo January 16th 2014, 12:21 am

You are quite right, although I meant more in the vein of "Christmas themed" rather than "taking place during". That's probably tougher to find, in any event!
    Viewtifulzfo
    Viewtifulzfo

Post  Viewtifulzfo January 23rd 2014, 1:30 pm

And bumping this to see if anyone's interested in topics. We're trying to move to a weekly schedule, so any topics you've got would help us out!
    wildmanted
    wildmanted

Activity : 2

Future Podcast Ideas Empty Collector's Corner

Post  wildmanted January 23rd 2014, 1:38 pm

I would like to listen to guys that collect stuff. In particular obscure literature from the 18th and 19th centuries. Is this possible?

Boring Man Ned
    Viewtifulzfo
    Viewtifulzfo

Post  Viewtifulzfo January 23rd 2014, 1:40 pm

This is absolutely possible and will happen soon! Because, what else would a video game podcast be without literature?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 26th 2024, 3:40 pm