Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Dark Purpose

mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Dark Purpose Empty Dark Purpose

Post  mindspike October 23rd 2014, 12:40 pm

Romans 8:28-29a CEV wrote:We know that God is always at work for the good of everyone who loves him. They are the ones God has chosen for his purpose, and he has always known who his chosen ones would be.

I can think of nothing more intellectually devastating than the elimination of purpose from our worldview. Lovecraftian horror is enjoying a popularity surge, a phenomenon I find curious. Although Lovecraft describes a purely naturalistic world in which our existence is driven by happenstance, his Elder Gods focus their malevolent attention on the human race out of hatred or hunger. It says something about the human mind that we prefer to exist for the purpose of being hated or consumed than to have no purpose at all. Or to use the phrasing of the period, sooner would we ascribe the workings of the world to dark desires and implacable cosmic entities than to embrace a life wholly based on chance. How reassuring to know that the divine force giving purpose to my life is benevolent and loving!

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Dark Purpose Empty Re: Dark Purpose

Post  Paeter October 23rd 2014, 6:51 pm

I've often wondered if their might be some potential in lovecraftian stories to give people a hunger for a good and loving God. I've toyed with the idea of someday creating a horror story that takes place in a world where relativism, naturalism or some other broken worldview is ACTUALLY TRUE, and then letting the inevitable horror that would result from that reality play itself out.

My one hangup is that those broken worldviews are... well, logically broken. And so it would require a Christian audience to suspend disbelief and go along with me for the ride.

www.spiritblade.com
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Post  Nathan James Norman October 23rd 2014, 8:20 pm

Great comments Winston!

I've often wondered if lovecraftian stories in a sense capture the horror of the Day of Yahweh, from the non believers perspective.

It is a day of simultaneous joy and horror. It just depends on where one stands in Christ.

Now... The theology doesn't hold up... But the sense of helplessness and horror might.

Admittedly... This isn't a terribly well thought out idea... Just something that's been kicking around in my mind

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 26th 2024, 5:54 pm