Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

5 posters

Can You Tell When Your Fandom Obscures Your Judgment?

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Can You Tell When Your Fandom Obscures Your Judgment? Empty Can You Tell When Your Fandom Obscures Your Judgment?

Post  Paeter January 30th 2015, 5:18 pm

Okay, I think it's TOTALLY legitimate to enjoy something more simply because it scratches your fan itch. Entertainment is subjective and we kid ourselves to think we can have a more valid "objective enjoyment" of it.

So I guess what I'm asking is, have you ever looked back on something you initially LOVED and after time and excitement wear off see how maybe your fandom largely made the original experience what it was?

After much time has passed, I can now see that the Ryan Reynolds GL movie is closer to a 7-7.5 in my current opinion than the 9 or whatever I originally gave it and the 8-something I reduced it to later. Portions of it I still LOVE. But I don't know when I'll ever sit through the whole thing again.

Likewise, The Avengers movie I watched again recently and had a VERY different experience from the first 2-3 times I watched it. It was... boring. An d seemed largely to ride on the novelty of having these characters together. The story turns seemed determined by dice rolls and I felt very little for any characters outside Bruce Banner and maybe Tony Stark.

Compare this with the Nolan Batman movies. I have serious issues with how they often fail to function as "Batman Movies" for me. But I think they are better FILMS than the Green Lantern movie.

Also, I just watched Man Of Steel last night and still thoroughly enjoyed it. I THINK that's because its more dramatic and serious tone is more my kind of movie than those first two, but with my distorted views of GL and Avengers in the background, I can't help but wonder if my DC fandom will wear off and leave me enjoying MoS less?

Anyone else have similar experiences or wonder if they will someday dislike something when the fan-buzz wears off?

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Can You Tell When Your Fandom Obscures Your Judgment? Empty Re: Can You Tell When Your Fandom Obscures Your Judgment?

Post  Rickster January 31st 2015, 10:54 pm

Honestly after i saw Man of Steel i thought that 10 you gave it was based on your love of DC. I dont think its just fandom that affects enjoyment in movies I saw the first GI Joe movie while my sister was in the hospital fighting for her life so I enjoyed having a 2 hour escape and i havent seen the movie since to tell you what i thought of the movie
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

Can You Tell When Your Fandom Obscures Your Judgment? Empty Re: Can You Tell When Your Fandom Obscures Your Judgment?

Post  mikel.withers February 1st 2015, 12:13 pm

I'll take my life into my own hands and say that Serenity wasn't a terribly good movie. I could watch Firefly all the time, but it didn't translate into the movie...too much back-tracking. When I first saw Serenity, I thought it was great, but the longer I thought about it, the less it held up.

Maybe Pacific Rim would fit... It is a pretty basic story, plot holes big enough to drive a Jaeger through, but I simply love it. If I wasn't a fan of giant robots then I doubt I'd give it more than a passing glance.
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike February 2nd 2015, 1:55 pm

The Marvel movies have totally held up for me. I like them just as much now as when I first saw them. Honestly, time has mostly improved the movies I really enjoy. There are a few exceptions.

I remember how stoked I was when Batman Begins hit theaters. It was just so different from any other Batman movie to date, plus it had Liam Neeson. Nowadays, I find all three unwatchable.

Sucker Punch is another one that made a huge impression on me at the time. I still think the story construction is exemplary, but I can now recognize it as ridiculously sentimental. I feel much the same way about Watchmen.

engmuffin

Activity : 8
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  engmuffin January 23rd 2020, 7:57 am

Probably not what you're thinking of, but not entirely unrelated.

My current fan obsession is a kids' animation, which has one musical episode. Now I love musicals and I love musical episodes even more, and the music in musical episodes for other shows I've seen has been really good (in two out of three cases, far superior to the episode plotline). For this one, however, the music was badly done; the melody sounds a bit weird and the lyrics are even worse. It gets a lot of hate from other fans; but I love the songs anyway, because even though the quality is bad, I love the characters and the emotions that are expressed in them. If I had only heard the music and never seen the show, I know I would just be cringing.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 14th 2024, 4:12 am