Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Superhero Course

cleireac
    cleireac

Activity : 388
    Geek-Cred : 7

Superhero Course Empty Superhero Course

Post  cleireac March 9th 2015, 1:10 pm

The Smithsonian is offering a course this May on "The Rise of Superheroes and Their Impact on Pop Culture" taught by none other than Stan Lee, Michael Uslan, and others.  I have already signed up to audit the course (for FREE!), but you can also register for a certificate (I believe) with credit (for $50.00).

Anyone else want to join me?
    cleireac
    cleireac

Superhero Course Empty Re: Superhero Course

Post  cleireac March 9th 2015, 4:56 pm

A friend of mine pointed me to a similar MOOC: https://www.coursera.org/course/comics?action=watchlist

It is over, but it looks like the materials can be downloaded via Coursera on mobile devices. Maybe others, but I'm still not sure how that works.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter March 9th 2015, 8:33 pm

cleireac wrote:The Smithsonian is offering a course this May on "The Rise of Superheroes and Their Impact on Pop Culture" taught by none other than Stan Lee, Michael Uslan, and others.  I have already signed up to audit the course (for FREE!), but you can also register for a certificate (I believe) with credit (for $50.00).

Anyone else want to join me?

Umm, YESSSS!!! Now, the Smithsonian. Is that like, one or just two blocks from Power and Ellsworth? This is somewhere in Mesa, AZ, right? ;-)

www.spiritblade.com
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

Post  mikel.withers March 10th 2015, 8:00 am

Doesn't much matter where it is:
    "EdX offers interactive online classes and MOOCs from the world’s best universities, colleges and organizations. Online courses from MITx, HarvardX, BerkeleyX, UTx and many other universities can be taken here. Topics include biology, business, chemistry, computer science, economics, finance, electronics, engineering, food and nutrition, history, humanities, law, literature, math, medicine, music, philosophy, physics, science, statistics and more. EdX is a non-profit online initiative created by founding partners Harvard and MIT."
    I'm tempted, but I have some stuff on my plate right now...and no practical reason to go through with it. :/
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate April 4th 2015, 4:36 am

Does anyone have any experience with the edx audit option?
    Can you watch the videos at your own time or do you miss it if you're not logged in at a certain date and time?
    For then I'd rather wait till this course is archived and follow it in a self-paced manner.
    cleireac
    cleireac

Post  cleireac May 5th 2015, 11:16 am

Giving this a bump as the course starts TODAY!

As an added incentive to register for a verified (i.e., for credit) course, I got this email last night:

"Phil Jimenez, the award-winning writer and artist has agreed to create our exclusive piece of original art for everyone who purchases the Verified Certificate and completes the course. The art will include the official Smithsonian brand and Stan Lee, Michael Uslan, David Uslan, and Phil Jimenez's signatures.

Phil has worked for DC Entertainment and Marvel Comics for the past two decades and is best known for his work on New X-Men, Wonder Woman, Infinite Crisis, and the Amazing Spider-Man. Jimenez has also worked in film and television, created large-scale artworks for schools and museums, and lectured at universities and the Library of Congress. We are thrilled to have him join us."

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 28th 2024, 5:33 pm