Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

why Jesus wept?

Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

why Jesus wept? Empty why Jesus wept?

Post  Rickster May 20th 2015, 8:29 pm

I remember growning up i always thought Jesus wept over the death of Lazarus. But a few years back i saw a movie and the pastor in it said he didnt think Jesus wept because Lazarus was dead He wept because He knew what he was about to do. He was about to take His friend from a place of peace and rest and bring him back to this world.of pain and sin. It was something i had never thought of before and i kind of found it comforting last night thinking about my mom and where she is now.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

why Jesus wept? Empty Re: why Jesus wept?

Post  Paeter May 21st 2015, 5:27 pm

Rickster wrote:I remember growning up i always thought Jesus wept over the death of Lazarus. But a few years back i saw a movie and the pastor in it said he didnt think Jesus wept because Lazarus was dead He wept because He knew what he was about to do. He was about to take His friend from a place of peace and rest and bring him back to this world.of pain and sin. It was something i had never thought of before and i kind of found it comforting last night thinking about my mom and where she is now.

That's an interesting point of speculation! I hadn't considered that.

Based on the available info, I don't think we can know exactly why he wept. I think another possibility, that may fit more immediately with the context and what the author was communicating, is that Jesus empathized so deeply with those who were hurting that he hurt because he hated to see them in such pain and grief. He may have also been reflecting on the broken condition we all live in and take for granted, recognizing what a tragedy it is that we have to experience death even briefly.

Whatever he was thinking, I'm confident it was motivated by compassion and love for us. He knows and feels pain alongside us like no one else can.

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter May 21st 2015, 5:30 pm

Rickster wrote:i kind of found it comforting last night thinking about my mom and where she is now.

That's a good thought. Imagine what she could tell us right now that would blow our minds, and she's only been with Jesus a few hours! Hang in there, Rickster. We love you, and your mom is safely home.

www.spiritblade.com
    tmorrill
    tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Post  tmorrill May 29th 2015, 9:17 pm

First off, I hope this doesn't take away from the comfort that you've been given over her passing, if I do I won't be able to apologize enough.

Rickster wrote:I remember growning up i always thought Jesus wept over the death of Lazarus. But a few years back i saw a movie and the pastor in it said he didnt think Jesus wept because Lazarus was dead He wept because He knew what he was about to do. He was about to take His friend from a place of peace and rest and bring him back to this world.of pain and sin. It was something i had never thought of before and i kind of found it comforting last night thinking about my mom and where she is now.

Do you remember what movie that was, I'd be interested in giving it a watch. However I don't think it jives with the rest of Scripture, specifically John 3:10-15.

Basically, no one has been to heaven and returned, except Jesus. I agree with Paeter that we don't know why Jesus wept, but just that we know He did.

I think it has something to do with the knowledge that He could have saved everyone the pain and hurt by just whispering "Lazarus! Be well!", and not even being in the same zip code. That coupled with seeing the pain when he arrived in Bethany, he wept. Regardless though, we have a God who has conquered the grave! Soon, the pain of death will be just a memory, but that day can't come soon enough.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 26th 2024, 11:59 am