Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

Whatever happened to those guys who made Sky Captain?

cleireac
    cleireac

Activity : 388
    Geek-Cred : 7

Whatever happened to those guys who made Sky Captain? Empty Whatever happened to those guys who made Sky Captain?

Post  cleireac July 16th 2015, 9:23 am

I was just thinking about Sky Captain the other day, and then by chance ran across this article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/sky-captain-and-the-world-of-tomorrow/kerry-kevin-conran-what-happened/

What a sad story.  I know that Paeter probably blames them for the CGI-fest that's nearly every Hollywood blockbuster, but these guys really were ahead of their time.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Whatever happened to those guys who made Sky Captain? Empty Re: Whatever happened to those guys who made Sky Captain?

Post  Paeter July 16th 2015, 10:51 am

cleireac wrote:I was just thinking about Sky Captain the other day, and then by chance ran across this article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/sky-captain-and-the-world-of-tomorrow/kerry-kevin-conran-what-happened/

What a sad story.  I know that Paeter probably blames them for the CGI-fest that's nearly every Hollywood blockbuster, but these guys really were ahead of their time.

Actually, the effects in this movie don't bother me. They were going for a non-realistic backdrop that was supported by the type of pulp/comic tone they emulated. If a movie is super-stylized, I'm pretty cool with the blue-screen and CG not being convincing, because the super-stylization takes me out of a mode of realism anyway. (I still have a copy of Ultraviolet in my collection for the same reason!)

My beef is when a movie looks pretty "normal", has lots of physical sets, fairly realistic lighting and a color palette that isn't over-saturated, and then has some stand-out blue screen and CG characters that just don't fit the rest of what my eye is seeing. (Star wars prequels would be an obvious offender.)

I liked what Sky Captain was going for. Even though some other elements didn't work for me I'd be interested in seeing another like it.

www.spiritblade.com

Current date/time is May 17th 2024, 4:14 am